Safeway NorCal Remodels and New Stores

California. No non-grocery posts.
storewanderer

Re: Safeway NorCal Remodels and New Stores

Post by storewanderer »

lake52 wrote: June 22nd, 2022, 7:53 pm The Roseville / Granite Bay store on Sierra College Blvd recently got the standard Florida Package remodel. This store was built as a Safeway flagship and does very good volume. It also has a somewhat unique layout, I believe taken from Genuardi’s.

I was a bit surprised that they didn’t go the Pavillions route similar to San Ramon with this store given the volume and wealth in the area. I think it reveals that Safeway isn’t planning a large scale rollout of this format in NorCal.
That is too bad, that would have been a beautiful store to give that Pavilions interior to.

The store in North Scottsdale (same layout, but not as nice of a store) has the Pavilions interior and has for years.

NorCal loves that Florida interior. I find it boring, but it will age well.
Alpha8472

Post by Alpha8472 »

Except for the flooring. All of the Florida decor stores that I have seen in Northern California still have the old worn brown Lifestyle floors.

The Pavilions decor Safeway stores received new faux wood flooring.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

Alpha8472 wrote: June 22nd, 2022, 11:25 pm Except for the flooring. All of the Florida decor stores that I have seen in Northern California still have the old worn brown Lifestyle floors.

The Pavilions decor Safeway stores received new faux wood flooring.
Truckee and South Lake Tahoe remodels into the Florida decor were converted to cement floors.

Remodels in Reno and Sparks into that decor kept the old flooring. Sparks was a super cheap remodel, more of a repaint really. They did quite a bit of work in Reno though; a lot of new refrigeration, fixtures, built in a service seafood area.
retailfanmitchell019
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by retailfanmitchell019 »

Bluelightspecial wrote: December 14th, 2021, 6:04 pm The issue is with Safeway/Albertsons remodels is that some are done so on the cheap that they look worse after the remodel. The Sun City remodel I actually think looks better than the Temescal Canyon one probably because it never received a Lifestyle remodel previously. It received the cursive graphics while Temescal Canyon was just repainted.
A Vons in Carlsbad (Tamarack Ave) was just remodeled 3 months ago. Like the Temescal Canyon store, this one is also a repainted Lifestyle. https://www.google.com/maps/place/Vons/ ... 17.3339542
This one is a former Safeway (non-Marina, built in 1972).
CalItalian
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by CalItalian »

July 4th ad for Vons & Albertsons SoCal is fantastic.
Best ad I've seen this year. I added the Ralphs advertised price if there is one. Ralphs is the same or higher on every major featured price.

.94 cents for 24-pack of Signature Select Water 12 oz. bottles. Limit 2. ($2.49 Ralphs)

.74 cents Sweet Baby Ray's BBQ Sauce or Marinade. Limit 4.

$4.94 8-piece service deli dark meat chicken. Limit 4.

$6.84 lb. USDA Choice Ribeye Steaks. Value-pack. ($7.99 Ralphs). The great thing about Vons/Albertsons is it is the same price at the service meat counter and you can buy just 1 steak if you wish(price via digital coupon). Limit 2 packages.

4/$11.96 Coke, Pepsi, Canada Dry, Dr. Pepper 12 pack, 12 oz. cans. (Ralphs 4/$12). Limit 2 offers.

$1.94 Strawberries (1 lb.) or Blueberries (6 oz.). (Ralphs Organic Strawberries 1 lb. 2/$5)

$1.99 Lay's Potato Chips wyb 3. (Ralphs same price but you must buy 4). Vons/Albertsons also has a $3 off 4 manufacturer coupon. I have SIX in my For U account. They've been adding one every week for 6 weeks & they don't expire until mid-July. Also good on other Pepsi/Frito Lay company products.

ONLY featured item that is lower, substantially lower, at Ralphs is Oscar Mayer hot dogs.

Nathan's, Oscar Mayer or Ball Park Beef Frank's or Johnsonville Grilling Links $3.84. Limit 4. (Ralphs Oscar Mayer Beef, Turkey or Angus Hot Dogs or dinner sausage $2.49. Limit 5).

10% off for military for 3 days over the weekend at Vons/Albertsons. (Nothing at Ralphs - just 2X fuel points Thurs-Sun).

Great prices at Las Vegas Vons/Albertsons, Arizona Safeway/Albertsons. 5 cents, 3 cents for corn. .40 cents in SoCal. No division with water as low.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

CalItalian wrote: June 28th, 2022, 4:42 pm July 4th ad for Vons & Albertsons SoCal is fantastic.
Best ad I've seen this year. I added the Ralphs advertised price if there is one. Ralphs is the same or higher on every major featured price.

.94 cents for 24-pack of Signature Select Water 12 oz. bottles. Limit 2. ($2.49 Ralphs) NorCal 32pk 2.99 with coupon limit 2

.74 cents Sweet Baby Ray's BBQ Sauce or Marinade. Limit 4. NorCal has this 4/5.00 with coupon (no limit)

$4.94 8-piece service deli dark meat chicken. Limit 4.NorCal has this 6.99 with coupon

$6.84 lb. USDA Choice Ribeye Steaks. Value-pack. ($7.99 Ralphs). The great thing about Vons/Albertsons is it is the same price at the service meat counter and you can buy just 1 steak if you wish(price via digital coupon). Limit 2 packages. NorCal has 80% ground beef "mega pack" 1.99/lb and chicken dark meats buy one get one free; the Ribeyes are at 18.99/lb bone in or 20.99/lb boneless

4/$11.96 Coke, Pepsi, Canada Dry, Dr. Pepper 12 pack, 12 oz. cans. (Ralphs 4/$12). Limit 2 offers. NorCal has this Buy 2 Get 3 Free also including 7-Up, limit 3 free items, 4 day sale 7/1-7/4 only (regular price is 7.99 each)

$1.94 Strawberries (1 lb.) or Blueberries (6 oz.). (Ralphs Organic Strawberries 1 lb. 2/$5) NorCal has 2lb Strawberry package 5.00 each good Friday 7/1 only

$1.99 Lay's Potato Chips wyb 3. (Ralphs same price but you must buy 4). Vons/Albertsons also has a $3 off 4 manufacturer coupon. I have SIX in my For U account. They've been adding one every week for 6 weeks & they don't expire until mid-July. Also good on other Pepsi/Frito Lay company products. NorCal Buy 2 Get 2 Free (Price is 4.59)

ONLY featured item that is lower, substantially lower, at Ralphs is Oscar Mayer hot dogs.

Nathan's, Oscar Mayer or Ball Park Beef Frank's or Johnsonville Grilling Links $3.84. Limit 4. (Ralphs Oscar Mayer Beef, Turkey or Angus Hot Dogs or dinner sausage $2.49. Limit 5). NorCal has Buy 1 Get 1 Free Nathans (7.49) 4 day sale 7/1-7/4 only, Johnsonville 4.99

10% off for military for 3 days over the weekend at Vons/Albertsons. (Nothing at Ralphs - just 2X fuel points Thurs-Sun).

Great prices at Las Vegas Vons/Albertsons, Arizona Safeway/Albertsons. 5 cents, 3 cents for corn. .40 cents in SoCal. NorCal Corn .10 limit 6 4 day sale 7/1-7/4 No division with water as low.
Kroger is never strong on holiday weekend ads. It has been that way for years. NorCal as usual is not having deals like this. I added NorCal price/terms (so many terms) in Red above.

I expect those 2x Fuel Points promotions for all customers to be going away at Kroger now that they have this "Boost" where paying them whatever a year for 2x fuel points is one of the main benefits of that program. Do lots of .50 transactions to get the 2 points while it lasts, I guess (if Ralphs rounds up like Smiths).
J-Man
Personnel Manager
Personnel Manager

Post by J-Man »

Based on the post here regarding Vons' specials this week, I decided to place a "Drive-Up & Go" order. What a mistake! First of all, they charged me the "member price" for the Fab 5 specials I ordered (8 of them, in full). When I attempted to contact them (before picking up the items; based on the receipt provided online), there was a recorded message at the designated phone number advising of a chat function on the website and mobile app. I attempted to use that feature on the app using two different browsers--clicking on the chat button produced no response.

Then I called again; waited a good 20 minutes before being connected to a person who had no idea what I was talking about and eventually disconnected. I then submitted an online inquiry.

And then to cap it off, when I went to pick up my items, HALF of them were missing. I have NEVER had this kind of issue with Walmart pickup. At least they gave me a refund with no questions asked when requested it online.

Considering the prices they charge, this kind of incompetence is just intolerable. (Oh ... and then to add insult to injury -- the email they sent saying my order had been picked up had a link for a survey about my experience. And the survey doesn't exist! I'm not surprised.)
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

J-Man wrote: July 1st, 2022, 11:05 am Based on the post here regarding Vons' specials this week, I decided to place a "Drive-Up & Go" order. What a mistake! First of all, they charged me the "member price" for the Fab 5 specials I ordered (8 of them, in full). When I attempted to contact them (before picking up the items; based on the receipt provided online), there was a recorded message at the designated phone number advising of a chat function on the website and mobile app. I attempted to use that feature on the app using two different browsers--clicking on the chat button produced no response.

Then I called again; waited a good 20 minutes before being connected to a person who had no idea what I was talking about and eventually disconnected. I then submitted an online inquiry.

And then to cap it off, when I went to pick up my items, HALF of them were missing. I have NEVER had this kind of issue with Walmart pickup. At least they gave me a refund with no questions asked when requested it online.

Considering the prices they charge, this kind of incompetence is just intolerable.
How does this level of failure even happen? Their order volumes are lower than the other chains yet their execution is worse and they have the highest prices (aside from the giveaway promotions)...

I notice few people using the "Drive Up and Go" service at Safeway and I haven't heard much about the opinions of people who are using the service. The pick up services at Kroger and Wal Mart do a very high volume of business and I hear mostly positive feedback regarding those services.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

CalItalian wrote: June 28th, 2022, 4:42 pm
$6.84 lb. USDA Choice Ribeye Steaks. Value-pack. ($7.99 Ralphs). The great thing about Vons/Albertsons is it is the same price at the service meat counter and you can buy just 1 steak if you wish(price via digital coupon). Limit 2 packages.
Not only can you buy just one steak, but you can also get them to give you a roast as large as you'd like...

That digital coupon literally works on anything "ribeye." Any size package, prepack, self serve, full serve, thick, etc.

This is sure different from the NorCal digital coupons on meat. Those only work for EXACTLY what the coupon says. And ONLY prepackaged. If this was a NorCal coupon, it would work on ONE SKU- the Choice Ribeye Steak Value Pack. Nothing else. Want thick? Thin? Too bad. No deal. And forget about a roast.

Reno Smiths has USDA Choice Ribeye "value pack" (two small steaks each...) at 6.77/lb or something and single packs at 7.27/lb. These steaks actually looked very good in the store last night, good showing for Smiths as their steaks are usually below average.
Safeway here is still trying to get this pricing for average quality at best product:
Ribeye Steak Bone In Value Pack: 18.99/lb
Ribeye Steak Bone In (single): 19.99/lb
Ribeye Steak Boneless Value Pack: 19.99/lb
Ribeye Steak Boneless (single): 20.99/lb

Way out of line pricing at Safeway. I guess the poor sucker who buys a Ribeye in NorCal is subsidizing your deal down there in SoCal.
bryceleinan
Personnel Manager
Personnel Manager

Post by bryceleinan »

storewanderer wrote: July 1st, 2022, 11:12 am
J-Man wrote: July 1st, 2022, 11:05 am Based on the post here regarding Vons' specials this week, I decided to place a "Drive-Up & Go" order. What a mistake! First of all, they charged me the "member price" for the Fab 5 specials I ordered (8 of them, in full). When I attempted to contact them (before picking up the items; based on the receipt provided online), there was a recorded message at the designated phone number advising of a chat function on the website and mobile app. I attempted to use that feature on the app using two different browsers--clicking on the chat button produced no response.

Considering the prices they charge, this kind of incompetence is just intolerable.
How does this level of failure even happen? Their order volumes are lower than the other chains yet their execution is worse and they have the highest prices (aside from the giveaway promotions)...

I notice few people using the "Drive Up and Go" service at Safeway and I haven't heard much about the opinions of people who are using the service. The pick up services at Kroger and Wal Mart do a very high volume of business and I hear mostly positive feedback regarding those services.
I've used DUG twice at Safeway... it was no different than Smith's or Wally World, however, I find it odd that Vista does not have it yet. Northwest Reno does.