Safeway NorCal Remodels and New Stores

California. No non-grocery posts.
storewanderer

Re: Safeway NorCal Remodels and New Stores

Post by storewanderer »

bryceleinan wrote: July 4th, 2022, 8:08 pm
I've used DUG twice at Safeway... it was no different than Smith's or Wally World, however, I find it odd that Vista does not have it yet. Northwest Reno does.
It is not a good idea to implement programs like DUG in stores with prolonged, but slowly improving, serious operational and labor problems like the Vista Store. But I will stress that things in that store, are slowly improving. They have been lucky to slowly get some better employees in there.

Northwest Reno hasn't had it for long either and installing it there was a bit of a leap of faith... I wonder how that one is doing with it. Raleys does a very high volume of eCart on Robb Drive. Wal Mart's pick up is also extremely busy up there. I assume Safeway is trying to pick a few customers off. So is Save Mart with the recent Instacart (?) tie up. So far I have yet to see anyone parked in a Save Mart or Food Maxx pick up space anywhere in Reno/Sparks/Carson City...

The biggest difference between Safeway's DUG and that of Wal Mart and Smiths would be the drastically higher pricing. Unless you get all sale items from Safeway and use a promo for $ off order.
greenfalcon
Front-End Bagger
Front-End Bagger

Post by greenfalcon »

Visited the north Stockton Safeway for the first time in a while. Store opened in 2004 and hasn't had a decor refresh since opening day. What they have done is move things around in a haphazard fashion causing customer confusion.
lake52
Cashier
Cashier

Post by lake52 »

Safeway has completed a remodel of the Diamond Heights store in San Francisco. I believe this is the first SF proper store to receive a remodel. There are some photos of it on Yelp. It looks very good for what it is, although very abbreviated compared to the Florida decor stores I’ve seen.

The awkward / cramped layouts of these SF stores take some time to design and construct. They’re no cookie cutter lifestyle copy/paste like they can breeze through in the suburbs. It’ll be interesting to see which one they tackle next. I’d put my money on one of the Sunset or Richmond stores.

They also are claiming the South San Francisco new store will be open in 2023 although I don’t believe any vertical construction has started. This will endanger a very high volume but low quality Lucky in San Bruno (the stores will be pretty much back to back).

Edit: I take back the statement on first SF store. Upon further research, the 16th/Bryant and 30th/Noriega stores have also been remodeled although the 16th St store is the most suburban-esque store in the city. 3 down, 12 to go.
Alpha8472

Post by Alpha8472 »

The San Bruno Lucky was remodeled a few years ago. The faux wood floor looks very nice. It has the Lucky California decor.

Once Tanforan Mall next to Lucky closes down, the Lucky Supermarket may lose quite a bit of business.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

I think the San Bruno Lucky is very busy and even if it lost 50% of its volume to Safeway it would still be an above average performing store for Save Mart/Lucky. But it will hurt. They need these high volume stores to make up for their numerous anemic low volume stores.

Also isn't some new housing being considered as part of what is replacing the mall? Maybe I didn't follow the plans too well.
Alpha8472

Post by Alpha8472 »

At least 1,000 homes will be built on the former Tanforan property along with office space.
Last edited by Alpha8472 on July 16th, 2022, 12:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

Alpha8472 wrote: July 15th, 2022, 4:54 pm At least 1,000 homes will be built on the former Tamforan property along with office space.
I think there will be ample business for the new Safeway and the Lucky. Unless Lucky loses the property to real estate developers. That would not be a good thing for Lucky.
norcalriteaidclerk
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by norcalriteaidclerk »

While Lifestyle isn't even close to being retired outright,the newest local locations(Sacramento Curtis Park,El Dorado Hills Serrano)have opened with the Florida/Modern decor on top of locations that previously had the first Lifestyle decor being remodeled into this format(Citrus Heights and now Sacramento Alhambra).Even locations that have had later Lifestyle packages have now converted to Florida/Modern(Vallejo Lincoln Road which is a vintage marina that has been falsefronted/stuccoed multiple times and is visible off of 80,fuel station was added in the 2000's).
For your life,Thrifty and Payless have got it.
Alpha8472

Post by Alpha8472 »

The former Safeway Flagship store in Dublin, California is remodeling their gas station. I do not know if Safeway is expanding it or just replacing the old equipment. A new Costco Gas station opened up nearby about a year ago, and Safeway lost many gas customers.

Are there any new Safeway Gas stations being added? I know they expanded a Safeway Gas station in Pleasant Hill, California several years ago. It is probably the most popular gas station around besides Costco. The land was huge because the Safeway used to be a Mervyn's with a huge parking lot.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

Alpha8472 wrote: August 16th, 2022, 5:17 pm The former Safeway Flagship store in Dublin, California is remodeling their gas station. I do not know if Safeway is expanding it or just replacing the old equipment. A new Costco Gas station opened up nearby about a year ago, and Safeway lost many gas customers.

Are there any new Safeway Gas stations being added? I know they expanded a Safeway Gas station in Pleasant Hill, California several years ago. It is probably the most popular gas station around besides Costco. The land was huge because the Safeway used to be a Mervyn's with a huge parking lot.
I don't think Safeway has a program to actively add gas stations to stores like Kroger had in the 00's and 10's (bonuses for division management were being tied to how many fuel stations they could add and this trickled down to other middle management too; this led to some creative fuel stations being added due to out of the box thinking by people at the local level).

Safeway put a new gas station on the new store that opened in El Dorado Hills on Bass Lake Road in Summer 2020 including a S express convenience store which is patterned after the Albertsons express convenience store in front of the store on Parkcenter in Boise.

Safeway has been doing a lot of pump replacements as their pumps tend to be pretty old but all got upgraded for Chip Cards; Safeway was the first US gas station operator with hundreds of stations to roll out Chip Card acceptance across their entire network.