Safeway NorCal Remodels and New Stores

California. No non-grocery posts.
ClownLoach
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Re: Safeway NorCal Remodels and New Stores

Post by ClownLoach »

magowan wrote: December 4th, 2021, 7:58 am
Alpha8472 wrote: June 8th, 2020, 1:47 am A Safeway in Pleasanton, California has the Florida decor and the old brown tile floor. Concrete was not used.

Other chains are no longer switching to concrete floors. Target remodeled the Walnut Creek, California store and added concrete floors. They then decided that there were too many cracks and installed white tiles.

The Dublin, California Target store is currently remodeling and it is receiving white tile. Target no longer uses concrete floors.

Some Socal updates on these trends…

Encinitas Target got concrete floors with its remodel this year - too harsh a look but no reversal yet

Encinitas Vons just redone last month from Phase 1 Lifestyle - and got the cursive font colorful Lifestyle - not the seemingly more recent stark Florida package. Floors being torn up not clear what the end result will be but ceiling still the distinct soft Lifestyle beige.

That Encinitas store is more of a downscale shopper and very close to a busy Ralph’s but rarely busy so was surprised it even got remodeled.

To make that more strange the Solana Beach Vons down the road got the seemingly newer Florida package at some point with concrete floors but kept the lifestyle beige ceiling. Very upscale clientele for this one, usually well trafficked.

Now trying to figure out was the cursive Lifestyle an anomaly for a lower profit store or a reversal of the harsh Florida look? Maybe they had leftover signage inventory?

Or was there feedback on pure Florida with the full white ceilings and concrete that it was too harsh / stark?

Any Norcal remodels get the cursive colorful Lifestyle this year?

Any other Socal remodels get cursive instead of Florida this year?

Personally think the softer look of the cursive / colorful Lifestyle is better and more differentiated from the harsh white box look of most other chains.
Back to Target they are definitely moving full steam ahead on warehouse ceilings for the first time as well as concrete floor conversions. They seem to have found a better vendor for the concrete floors. I have some experience with this and there are two large vendors - one does better with new construction in an empty building (and is cheaper) - the other does better with a phased remodel (and is more expensive). I think they tried the cheaper vendor who probably did fine on new buildings and discovered they did a terrible job on the remodels where they went back and put the tile back in. Glendale Galleria, Redlands, Camarillo, Seattle Pike Place and others are all now polished concrete. A concrete conversion is now part of all projects except the new "downscale" remodel (which is really just a rearranging of perimeter such as cafe, customer service, and any other necessary departments to make room for additional drive up online order storage, plus light resets of aisles on existing fixtures). Not sure how many will get the open warehouse ceilings, but a recent video from Target of the old Minneapolis location that was looted and destroyed now has open warehouse ceilings and polished floors too. I imagine that all new builds from the ground up are going to have the warehouse ceiling. The new Flamingo Crossing center location in Orlando has the open ceilings over the majority of the store except foods and hanging strip lights which are shocking to see at Target although they're artfully arranged like something you might see at Whole Foods. This store did not do polished concrete but it is literally in reclaimed swampland so generally PC is problematic there as mineral salts seep upward - this is why Publix uses Terrazzo. I think this is a bit of a disappointment as Target did well with their drop ceiling because it had recessed lighting, not cheap strip lights like most grocers, which gave them a more upscale appearance. They do paint the warehouse ceiling areas dark gray (almost black) so they won't look like a "red Walmart". Some stores are getting sections with this separate of the rest of the store too - Seal Beach got a expanded liquor assortment where they set the open warehouse ceiling. I think the same warehouse ceiling is also in Mission Viejo Jeronimo.
veteran+
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by veteran+ »

I do not like dropped ceilings.

I prefer dark colored exposed ceilings.

I love terrazzo floors and polished concrete floors.

8-)
magowan
Cart Collector
Cart Collector

Post by magowan »

Alpha8472 wrote: December 10th, 2021, 1:26 am A Safeway in San Ramon, California is receiving a new decor that I have not seen before. The remodel is much more thorough than the cheap Florida Decor that the Flagship Safeway in Dublin recently received.

The floors are being redone with white tile. The aisle signs are of a new design that I have not seen before. The decor is not yet complete, but it is interesting in that the refrigerated cases are being replaced with new ones with doors. Brand new checkstands are being installed. This store has not had a remodel since about 2004.

This decor looks to be something new.

Interesting…was the first in CA to get the photo mural look when it opened in 84 and one of the earlier Lifestyle conversions.

Hopefully they’ve found a package that’s less of a harsh big box look than the Florida package
retailfanmitchell019
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by retailfanmitchell019 »

magowan wrote: December 4th, 2021, 7:58 am Encinitas Vons just redone last month from Phase 1 Lifestyle - and got the cursive font colorful Lifestyle - not the seemingly more recent stark Florida package. Floors being torn up not clear what the end result will be but ceiling still the distinct soft Lifestyle beige.

That Encinitas store is more of a downscale shopper and very close to a busy Ralph’s but rarely busy so was surprised it even got remodeled.

To make that more strange the Solana Beach Vons down the road got the seemingly newer Florida package at some point with concrete floors but kept the lifestyle beige ceiling. Very upscale clientele for this one, usually well trafficked.

The Vons on North El Camino Real in Carlsbad (near Highway 78) got Colorful Lifestyle this year. It previously had the 2004 Lifestyle interior.
The Albertsons on Melrose Dr in Vista also got Colorful Lifestyle earlier this year. It was remodeled out of the 21 year old Blue & Green Awnings interior. That interior dates back to when Albertsons bought this store from Lucky (Albertsons remodeled it after the marriage with Lucky).
Then there is the Wildomar Albertsons I mentioned in another topic. That is a 2002 build store that got remodeled into Colorful Lifestyle.
The Downey Albertsons also got Colorful Lifestyle. I'm sure this was the last Albertsons to be built in Los Angeles County (built in 2005). It previously had the Industrial Circus interior.
CalItalian
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by CalItalian »

retailfanmitchell019 wrote: December 11th, 2021, 6:55 pm
magowan wrote: December 4th, 2021, 7:58 am Encinitas Vons just redone last month from Phase 1 Lifestyle - and got the cursive font colorful Lifestyle - not the seemingly more recent stark Florida package. Floors being torn up not clear what the end result will be but ceiling still the distinct soft Lifestyle beige.

The Vons on North El Camino Real in Carlsbad (near Highway 78) got Colorful Lifestyle this year. It previously had the 2004 Lifestyle interior.
The Albertsons on Melrose Dr in Vista also got Colorful Lifestyle earlier this year. It was remodeled out of the 21 year old Blue & Green Awnings interior. That interior dates back to when Albertsons bought this store from Lucky (Albertsons remodeled it after the marriage with Lucky).
Then there is the Wildomar Albertsons I mentioned in another topic. That is a 2002 build store that got remodeled into Colorful Lifestyle.
The Downey Albertsons also got Colorful Lifestyle. I'm sure this was the last Albertsons to be built in Los Angeles County (built in 2005). It previously had the Industrial Circus interior.
Lake Elsinore Albertsons was remodeled in November 2019. Vons Temescal Canyon completed its remodel in January 2021 & Sun City Vons in February 2021.

All are colorful lifestyle & all half-assed cheap remodels.

Lake Elsinore new floor is already cracking up in multiple places in the store. The biggest additions here were a Starbucks kiosk, a large walk-in beer cooler area which I have never seen in any Vons or Albertsons (this store is just a couple of blocks from the main boat launching area for the lake) and a more extensive service meat area & expanded hot service deli at the rear of the store adjacent to produce. This is a large store. I'm surprised they did not increase self checkout beyond 4. It's very popular here.

Vons Temescal Canyon floor was not replaced despite it already showing multiple areas of cracking. It's only gotten worse now especially on the north side entrance where they took a small rectangular section of the floor during the remodel & replaced it with faux wood. It did get an all new extensive bakery area in the rear north section of the store with a large custom cake display. Added Starbucks kiosk. They also increased self checkout from 4 to 6. This store looked the best of the three I am listing before its remodel & still does.

Sun City got the most extensive remodel & needed it. It had not seen a remodel or any update at all this century. There were missing parts of tiles right down to the concrete. I would be surprised if people weren't injured in the store over the years. This store got all new flooring, a small but brand new service meat counter, new meat & frozen equipment but they didn't take out the low false ceiling over the produce & pharmacy area or replace the failing beer coolers. All of their new carts are showing signs of rust. Never seen this at any Vons, Albertsons or Pavilions. They close the west store entrance at 6 pm which I've never seen so early in any other supermarket (homeless isn't an issue in the area.). No Starbucks or self-checkout were added but, for now, the area is more senior oriented. 1000 new homes are being built a few blocks away on the other side of I-215, though.

All three locations have increased traffic since their remodels - especially Temescal Canyon. But there are many new homes nearby and more coming.

None of these locations got any sort of attention to their exteriors beyond slurry & restriping the parking lots (Temescal Canyon did not even get that). Sun City could use parking lot lighting upgrades.
Alpha8472

Post by Alpha8472 »

A Safeway in Pleasant Hill, California which has not been remodeled since about 2004, got new parking lot lighting. It is worse than before. The new LED lighting is dim and deep purple. You can barely see anything in the parking lot now. Supposedly the lights get brighter for a few seconds if they detect motion, but only if you are right next to the pole. Now the parking lot is a scary dark place at night. This store is a very busy location, but seems to be neglected. The store still has vintage 1980s style Safeway Food & Drug signs. Although this store was a former Fry's and Save Mart taken over in 1996.
ClownLoach
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by ClownLoach »

Alpha8472 wrote: December 12th, 2021, 10:15 am A Safeway in Pleasant Hill, California which has not been remodeled since about 2004, got new parking lot lighting. It is worse than before. The new LED lighting is dim and deep purple. You can barely see anything in the parking lot now. Supposedly the lights get brighter for a few seconds if they detect motion, but only if you are right next to the pole. Now the parking lot is a scary dark place at night. This store is a very busy location, but seems to be neglected. The store still has vintage 1980s style Safeway Food & Drug signs. Although this store was a former Fry's and Save Mart taken over in 1996.
I saw similar new purple street lighting being installed near 7th Street/SR-22 and Studebaker on ramp in Long Beach. Blue light is proven to be very problematic as it causes sleep disruption - it throws off your body's "clock" and causes you to think it is daytime again internally. For a while blue LED was popular on home electronics until this problem was found by scientists and now you don't see it on the newest products. Amazon is selling cover up decals now to change the color if you have appliances with blue lights due to this problem.

I hope this isn't some new idiotic requirement of the State of California to save infinitesimal amounts of electricity while causing massive sleeping disorders for the public and decreasing visibility/safety. I can't imagine how anyone would intentionally install this blue purple lighting after seeing the improvement of regular white LED lights. It sure sounds like something they would do......
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

Alpha8472 wrote: December 12th, 2021, 10:15 am A Safeway in Pleasant Hill, California which has not been remodeled since about 2004, got new parking lot lighting. It is worse than before. The new LED lighting is dim and deep purple. You can barely see anything in the parking lot now. Supposedly the lights get brighter for a few seconds if they detect motion, but only if you are right next to the pole. Now the parking lot is a scary dark place at night. This store is a very busy location, but seems to be neglected. The store still has vintage 1980s style Safeway Food & Drug signs. Although this store was a former Fry's and Save Mart taken over in 1996.
Is this lighting only in front of the Safeway, or in the entire shopping center's lot?

Might be the shopping center management's decision...
Alpha8472

Post by Alpha8472 »

It is affecting the entire shopping center parking lot.

I just found some news stories about a manufacturer defect causing led street lights to turn purple. It is affecting street lights all over the country. The led lights gradually turn purple or blue. Cities are asking people to report them so that they can be repaired before the warranties run out.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

Alpha8472 wrote: December 12th, 2021, 11:59 pm It is affecting the entire shopping center parking lot.

I just found some news stories about a manufacturer defect causing led street lights to turn purple. It is affecting street lights all over the country. The led lights gradually turn purple or blue. Cities are asking people to report them so that they can be repaired before the warranties run out.
What a mess, and safety issue. I am sure there is tons of labor sitting around ready to do the repairs or make replacement lights...