Safeway NorCal Remodels and New Stores

California. No non-grocery posts.
storewanderer

Re: Safeway NorCal Remodels and New Stores

Post by storewanderer »

ClownLoach wrote: May 30th, 2022, 9:51 am
Lack of competition and I would add in high rent. Bay Area rents are ridiculous.

It's been a long time since I've been to Phoenix and I'm sure I will be shocked by the changes next time I go, but as a lifetime Southern California resident I was ready to throw things when I last saw the prices at Fry's vs Ralphs. Seeing California produce and milk that had to be trucked all the way to Arizona selling for half the price. But this is how the conventional operators have always balanced the books - lower prices where there is heavy competition, raise prices where you already dominate the market. So CA milk that is $4 in CA is $1.99 in AZ and so on...

Also Costco is so dominant in SoCal it just isn't even funny. Stores doing multi million dollar weekend days sometimes just a mile down the street from another store doing the same. The aggressive growth of Costco in SoCal is just as big of a factor in the decline of the traditional stores as Walmart.
I think you will find the price gap of SoCal vs. AZ/Las Vegas is not what it once was. There is still a price gap but not like before. NorCal pricing is still way out there and I don't see that changing (I see that getting worse).

Is anyone still trucking milk from SoCal to AZ? Maybe some hispanic operators but I don't think anyone else is.

One thing also to keep in mind with the produce is the weather in AZ is not kind to produce much of the year. Once you get produce to AZ, you need to sell it fast. There is a definite quality difference in that produce that is in AZ, compared to when it is in SoCal. I think the "discount" is justified because it won't keep as long.
Bagels
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by Bagels »

storewanderer wrote: May 30th, 2022, 11:23 am
Lack of competition and I would add in high rent. Bay Area rents are ridiculous.

It's been a long time since I've been to Phoenix and I'm sure I will be shocked by the changes next time I go, but as a lifetime Southern California resident I was ready to throw things when I last saw the prices at Fry's vs Ralphs. Seeing California produce and milk that had to be trucked all the way to Arizona selling for half the price. But this is how the conventional operators have always balanced the books - lower prices where there is heavy competition, raise prices where you already dominate the market. So CA milk that is $4 in CA is $1.99 in AZ and so on...

Also Costco is so dominant in SoCal it just isn't even funny. Stores doing multi million dollar weekend days sometimes just a mile down the street from another store doing the same. The aggressive growth of Costco in SoCal is just as big of a factor in the decline of the traditional stores as Walmart.
I think you will find the price gap of SoCal vs. AZ/Las Vegas is not what it once was. There is still a price gap but not like before. NorCal pricing is still way out there and I don't see that changing (I see that getting worse).

Is anyone still trucking milk from SoCal to AZ? Maybe some hispanic operators but I don't think anyone else is.

One thing also to keep in mind with the produce is the weather in AZ is not kind to produce much of the year. Once you get produce to AZ, you need to sell it fast. There is a definite quality difference in that produce that is in AZ, compared to when it is in SoCal. I think the "discount" is justified because it won't keep as long.
The problem with Albertsons in SoCal is that it’s a hyper competitive market, and prices have been on the high end for years. Thus, they haven’t been able to raise prices as much as they have in other markets. Heck, most of their produce pricing hasn’t changed, in spite of the inflationary environment. That’s because they were charging 69c/# for bananas where everyone else was at 49c, 1.69/# for common apple varieties when everyone else was at 99c, etc. That said, while the savings in AZ/NV isn’t what it was two years ago, it’s still significant. Plus, they’re running superior sales. The SoCal holiday sale is largely a flop.

I will agree that Kroger spiked Ralphs pricing, although I’ve noticed numerous price hikes in recent weeks. Yesterday, both Ralphs and Albertsons were fully stocked for the holiday, but hardly anyone was shopping. An LA Times article mentions that more people are eating out due to high prices and perceive value… the inflation bubble is hopefully ready to bust.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

Bagels wrote: May 30th, 2022, 2:48 pm

The problem with Albertsons in SoCal is that it’s a hyper competitive market, and prices have been on the high end for years. Thus, they haven’t been able to raise prices as much as they have in other markets. Heck, most of their produce pricing hasn’t changed, in spite of the inflationary environment. That’s because they were charging 69c/# for bananas where everyone else was at 49c, 1.69/# for common apple varieties when everyone else was at 99c, etc. That said, while the savings in AZ/NV isn’t what it was two years ago, it’s still significant. Plus, they’re running superior sales. The SoCal holiday sale is largely a flop.

I will agree that Kroger spiked Ralphs pricing, although I’ve noticed numerous price hikes in recent weeks. Yesterday, both Ralphs and Albertsons were fully stocked for the holiday, but hardly anyone was shopping. An LA Times article mentions that more people are eating out due to high prices and perceive value… the inflation bubble is hopefully ready to bust.
That is the chainwide problem with Albertsons. Actually Albertsons/Vons in SoCal has a price cut program they implemented back in March or April and they did thousands of price cuts (shelf tags Low Priced Everyday) including at Pavilions locations. But it seems there are fewer sale items to make up for this program. I've seen Safeway do this type of price cut thing multiple times over the years and it never works because everything else is still outrageously priced.

I am seeing more customers than ever at discount operations like WinCo and Grocery Outlet. Also Sam's Club and Costco seem to have more customers than ever. I am also seeing more "retail" customers in US Foods Chef Store. Yesterday when I was in there a woman in front of me looked really confused walking around and she was in front of me paying, and had a pack of buns and some bananas in her cart. The employee asked if she found everything okay. She said not really and what kind of store is this and why are all of the packages so weird and why are there so few brands she recognizes? The employee explained to her it is a restaurant supply store. She said oh, my friend told me this store is like Costco. The employee said well it is like a Costco but specifically designed for restaurants. Then she asked why she could not access any of the refrigerated items (you walk into a cooler to get into the dairy and walk into a separate cooler to get into the produce- there are signs posted that say "PLEASE COME IN") and the employee explained to her that you walk into those areas to obtain that product and no assistance from employees is needed. Just a completely confused customer who was obviously told to shop there for better deals but really didn't get the place. After she was done paying she asked for a bag, the employee said we do not have bags but we have boxes and he grabbed her a small box, and she just made a sound and pushed her cart out before he could even box her items.
SamSpade
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by SamSpade »

storewanderer wrote: May 30th, 2022, 8:36 pm I am also seeing more "retail" customers in US Foods Chef Store. Yesterday when I was in there a woman in front of me looked really confused walking around and she was in front of me paying, and had a pack of buns and some bananas in her cart. The employee asked if she found everything okay. She said not really and what kind of store is this and why are all of the packages so weird and why are there so few brands she recognizes? The employee explained to her it is a restaurant supply store. She said oh, my friend told me this store is like Costco. The employee said well it is like a Costco but specifically designed for restaurants. Then she asked why she could not access any of the refrigerated items (you walk into a cooler to get into the dairy and walk into a separate cooler to get into the produce- there are signs posted that say "PLEASE COME IN") and the employee explained to her that you walk into those areas to obtain that product and no assistance from employees is needed. Just a completely confused customer who was obviously told to shop there for better deals but really didn't get the place. After she was done paying she asked for a bag, the employee said we do not have bags but we have boxes and he grabbed her a small box, and she just made a sound and pushed her cart out before he could even box her items.
It's too bad you couldn't run into the manager and compliment how this employee did their job and were even trying to go above and beyond for this (new) customer.

Service can be hard to find in 2022.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

SamSpade wrote: May 30th, 2022, 11:21 pm
It's too bad you couldn't run into the manager and compliment how this employee did their job and were even trying to go above and beyond for this (new) customer.

Service can be hard to find in 2022.
This was one of the managers. The store isn't very busy, it only has a few employees at a time. These stores as Smart Foodservice and now as US Foods have always had excellent employees.

But you are right about the service in 2022...

I also still get great service every time at Trader Joe's...

As far as other retailers... there are some locations that are doing much better on service than others in every chain.
Bagels
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by Bagels »

storewanderer wrote: May 30th, 2022, 8:36 pm

That is the chainwide problem with Albertsons. Actually Albertsons/Vons in SoCal has a price cut program they implemented back in March or April and they did thousands of price cuts (shelf tags Low Priced Everyday) including at Pavilions locations. But it seems there are fewer sale items to make up for this program. I've seen Safeway do this type of price cut thing multiple times over the years and it never works because everything else is still outrageously priced.

I am seeing more customers than ever at discount operations like WinCo and Grocery Outlet. Also Sam's Club and Costco seem to have more customers than ever. I am also seeing more "retail" customers in US Foods Chef Store. Yesterday when I was in there a woman in front of me looked really confused walking around and she was in front of me paying, and had a pack of buns and some bananas in her cart. The employee asked if she found everything okay. She said not really and what kind of store is this and why are all of the packages so weird and why are there so few brands she recognizes? The employee explained to her it is a restaurant supply store. She said oh, my friend told me this store is like Costco. The employee said well it is like a Costco but specifically designed for restaurants. Then she asked why she could not access any of the refrigerated items (you walk into a cooler to get into the dairy and walk into a separate cooler to get into the produce- there are signs posted that say "PLEASE COME IN") and the employee explained to her that you walk into those areas to obtain that product and no assistance from employees is needed. Just a completely confused customer who was obviously told to shop there for better deals but really didn't get the place. After she was done paying she asked for a bag, the employee said we do not have bags but we have boxes and he grabbed her a small box, and she just made a sound and pushed her cart out before he could even box her items.
I’m not surprised. The Journal ran a piece earlier this month asserting the the majority of shoppers are now seeking alternative goods / places to shop to lower their grocery bill, which is why Target etc. had such a poor quarter. Sales of private label goods are on fire, which is concerning for legacy brands long-term.

IMO, corporate America got a little carried away in cashing in on inflation. Ralphs is selling Land ‘ O Lakes butter for 8.99/lb. (!!!) and sliced Kroger-branded cake for 8.49 (this use to retail for 4.99 in 2019… it isn’t like the cost of inputs doubled). Unsurprisingly, my local Ralphs had tons of traditional Memorial Day food in the deli/bakery - potatoe salad, cakes, etc. - marked down for a $1. Hopefully the bubble will burst soon.
Romr123
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by Romr123 »

Out in the Coachella Valley during the winter it's quite amazing how long-lasting some of the fresh produce is...strawberries from the farmers' market, though expensive, last for 2 full weeks.

There is often a noticeable difference between locally sourced produce (Vons/Stater/Ralphs/gourmet stores) and, for lack of a better term, warehouse/commissary produce stores (Target/Trader Joes/Aldi) both in promotionality and freshness. Costco is another animal, because their larger sized packaging helps preserve quality.
CalItalian
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by CalItalian »

storewanderer wrote: May 30th, 2022, 8:36 pm

That's news to me that SoCal Vons/Albertsons have had cut prices. There has been absolutely no mention of it in store ads or in store. I absolutely see NO price cuts. I see no new Low Priced Everyday tags in store, either, but they're very plain anyway. Plus my For U personalized prices, as a whole, have been going up each month (except produce which has been dropping in price).
CalItalian
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by CalItalian »

storewanderer wrote: May 30th, 2022, 11:23 am

Most of the produce at Vons/Albertsons hasn't gone up but some has. Brown/Spanish/Yellow (all the same item) went from .99 to $1.29 lb. in the last few months. 5 lb. bag of potatoes $2.49 to $2.99 (although I have a personalized price for $1.99 this month down from $2.13 last month - with my weekly $1/1 produce coupon they are .99 cents), red onion $1.49 to $1.99 lb.. Some of the out of season local fruits have also gone up to a new regular price.

Memorial Day weekend sales were spectacular at Vons/Albertsons. Had to be there on $5 Fridays to see the crowds. They sold more marinated Carne Asada for $5 per lb. than in any single day in their history. That was a fantastic price for their service meat dept.. Undercut Stater Bros. by $2 per lb.
Bagels
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by Bagels »

CalItalian wrote: June 2nd, 2022, 5:32 amMost of the produce at Vons/Albertsons hasn't gone up but some has. Brown/Spanish/Yellow (all the same item) went from .99 to $1.29 lb. in the last few months. 5 lb. bag of potatoes $2.49 to $2.99 (although I have a personalized price for $1.99 this month down from $2.13 last month - with my weekly $1/1 produce coupon they are .99 cents), red onion $1.49 to $1.99 lb.. Some of the out of season local fruits have also gone up to a new regular price.

Memorial Day weekend sales were spectacular at Vons/Albertsons. Had to be there on $5 Fridays to see the crowds. They sold more marinated Carne Asada for $5 per lb. than in any single day in their history. That was a fantastic price for their service meat dept.. Undercut Stater Bros. by $2 per lb.
Albertsons definitely cut prices on some products; the price cuts were largely rescinding previous hikes. Whipped Challenge butter, for example, dropped back to $3.49 - same price as Wallymart (which hiked it up from $1.88).

For me, the J4U offers are hit-or-miss, and mostly miss these days. Two weeks ago, I got 1.99 small watermelon (on sale for 3.99), 1.29 romaine hearts (3.49 everyday) and 88c sweet potatoes (1.79ish everyday). Last week I got 94c carrots (99c everyday) and 1.89 green beans (1.99 everyday). This week I got $1.99 green grapes (on sale for $1.49). Every-other-week I get a $5 off $50, but nothing else. My monthly offers also struck out: $1.59 for Signature Select two-liter (I only previously bought this with a Saturday freebie coupon) and $5.89 for Big Boy salad dressing ($4 at Wallymart & Target).

Albertsons local holiday ads have been underwhelming for the last 18 months or so. They ran a great ad in AZ/NV-LV, but Ralphs' handily beat them locally. It was so bad they highlighted 16 oz. Lucerne cheese slices for $1.99 w/J4U... but that's Ralph's everyday price. They did have 40 oz. Persil laundry detergent for $2.99. My wife raided the SmartSource coupon machine at Ralphs ($2 off), so we stocked up at 99c each.