Wegmans Cheapening Decor

Connecticut, Maine, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, Rhode Island, and Vermont. No non-grocery posts.
BatteryMill
Shift Manager
Shift Manager

Re: Wegmans Cheapening Decor

Post by BatteryMill »

Looking through this post, I do see how Wegmans has changed over the years.
This is what I consider to be the "old Wegmans": Despite them not having a very organic design and attention to detail as they had in the past, I believe they still manage to come up with very attractive stores. Wegmans does not kowtow to every current retail design trend (neutral colors, woodgrain, flashy LEDs, etc.) and still retains the core market feel they've implemented for over 20 years.

One benefit however is that they have made their exteriors pop out more than usual. They've gone from generic brick/siding facades all the way to a charming rustic atmosphere in their recent stores. I certainly hope they can come up with something even better in the coming years.

I also noticed that around 2012 or so, Wegmans changed out signage and lighting across their storebase. Their older stores still have old elements, but they feel a bit like the new ones too.
retailfanmitchell019 wrote: August 5th, 2020, 11:04 pm This interior is very dumbed down from the interiors Wegmans previously had.
Are the signs made of cardboard? SVU did this with 2012 Albertsons remodels.

I'd say Albertsons Grocery Palace interior is nicer than this.
From first-hand observation, I can confirm these newer signs are of the same material used in the previous iteration. They still look okay but lack character.
buckguy wrote: August 7th, 2020, 5:46 am An odd thread. It builds on a comment on another thread by a different poster from the OP there viewtopic.php?f=17&t=2565 and then moves to a different region and a strawman-type comparison of Wegman and Publix.
Yep - does get off-topic sometimes, but who can complain? This is RetailWatchers after all... :lol:
buckguy wrote: August 7th, 2020, 5:46 am We still don't have a description of the old interior that was more "upscale", although the original post on the other thread did mention design features like having a second story.

I suspect they won't enter the DC area because the conditions are so completely different from other places. They also seem to know where and when to do large stores and who their customer is.
I have some photos of the old Wegmans in my post. There are more online with basic searches. If you'd like some more vantage points let me know.

As for the D.C. metro, that may be a major roadblock with the amount of competition. Though they did scout the area for locations a few years back- and Stafford/FXBurg stores are already within orbit of Washington, so I wouldn't count them out entirely. There are also major changes with Shoppers on the way out and Safeway getting only sporadic investment.
mbz321
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by mbz321 »

I don't see too much of a difference in decor' in the Brooklyn pictures vs. my local Wegmans in PA that opened in 2006. The walls may be slightly 'less busy', mine has (or had?) fake flowers under some of the faux windows on the walls which I don't see here), and maybe a slight reduction in accent lighting, but that is the only thing that stuck out.
BatteryMill
Shift Manager
Shift Manager

Post by BatteryMill »

mbz321 wrote: August 9th, 2020, 9:51 pm I don't see too much of a difference in decor' in the Brooklyn pictures vs. my local Wegmans in PA that opened in 2006. The walls may be slightly 'less busy', mine has (or had?) fake flowers under some of the faux windows on the walls which I don't see here), and maybe a slight reduction in accent lighting, but that is the only thing that stuck out.
As I've said, Wegmans originally had different lighting and decor practices back when said store opened. Newer marketing campaigns and department resets/new fixtures in addition to the signage/lighting I've mentioned has certainly brought the store more inline with their newer builds. Having a 2018 store alongside some 2000s openings, they do seem to have several degrees of separation in terms of their vibes. The newer one feels more airy and simple, while the older ones have a more dense approach in terms of their layout and stock.
buckguy
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by buckguy »

I stopped at the one in Germantown the other day running some errands in upper Montgomery County, Maryland. the store is one of these with the "cheap" decor. It's a really nice store--I picked up some things to eat and they're still a definite step up from anyone. Good produce, competitive pricing, all the things I associate with them. the one quirk is that they seem to have a fewer brands of some things like pasta. OTOH, they have regional stuff 9or at least stuff regional to their established territory) like Mallo Cups candy.

Looking forward to the DC and Rockville/Twinbrook stores--the latter will be across from a new Safeway that's nice but has few customers and not far from a Giant that used to be a standout with more volume than now, and a Harris-Teeter with few customers and a "food court" filled with stuff that generally looks better than it tastes although some things look just as bad, too.