Walgreens Closures Continue in San Francisco

storewanderer

Re: Walgreens Closures Continue in San Francisco

Post by storewanderer »

BillyGr wrote: October 4th, 2022, 1:30 pm
If that was an issue, the pharmacy stores could have simply opted NOT to do the shots, or they could have done (like CVS, in fact, did) get people SPECIFICALLY to give the shots on particular days (the guy that was here was telling someone that he basically worked daily, just going to different stores different days, just doing the vaccines - this was back in May of 2021).

The other question - did you ask the pharmacist why he was coughing? There are certainly conditions that cause people to cough (sometimes frequently) without it being anything that will harm others (that is, nothing that is communicable). Not to say that was the case here, just that people shouldn't assume that there is a problem when it may not be at all.
The corporate offices made the decision to do the shots, and they tried to do mass hirings to get staff to administer the shots. Every major chain tried to do mass hirings (Walgreens, CVS, Rite Aid, and various grocers). The entire thing moved very quickly and this was one of those situations where promises were made and the chains did the best they could with what they had but it really broke a lot of their pharmacy operations due to the chaos/stress/lack of staff. And we are seeing the after effect of that now with reduced hours, reduced staffing, etc.

I'm not about to approach a busy pharmacist and directly ask why they are coughing, but have been to that store many times before and he was not coughing like that...
BillyGr
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by BillyGr »

storewanderer wrote: October 5th, 2022, 12:08 am
BillyGr wrote: October 4th, 2022, 1:30 pm
If that was an issue, the pharmacy stores could have simply opted NOT to do the shots, or they could have done (like CVS, in fact, did) get people SPECIFICALLY to give the shots on particular days (the guy that was here was telling someone that he basically worked daily, just going to different stores different days, just doing the vaccines - this was back in May of 2021).

The other question - did you ask the pharmacist why he was coughing? There are certainly conditions that cause people to cough (sometimes frequently) without it being anything that will harm others (that is, nothing that is communicable). Not to say that was the case here, just that people shouldn't assume that there is a problem when it may not be at all.
The corporate offices made the decision to do the shots, and they tried to do mass hirings to get staff to administer the shots. Every major chain tried to do mass hirings (Walgreens, CVS, Rite Aid, and various grocers). The entire thing moved very quickly and this was one of those situations where promises were made and the chains did the best they could with what they had but it really broke a lot of their pharmacy operations due to the chaos/stress/lack of staff. And we are seeing the after effect of that now with reduced hours, reduced staffing, etc.

I'm not about to approach a busy pharmacist and directly ask why they are coughing, but have been to that store many times before and he was not coughing like that...
That's OK, I wouldn't really expect you to ask someone. It was more to make the point that people can have reasons that they cough but have nothing that would harm anyone else, so that people shouldn't automatically assume that someone coughing is sick and dangerous to others.
norcalriteaidclerk
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by norcalriteaidclerk »

https://www.wdrb.com/news/walgreens-to- ... a5bd4.html
https://www.localsyr.com/news/local-new ... y-closing/

I know both Louisville and Syracuse have different dynamics from San Francisco,but I wonder if any of the total eight locations were ones they acquired from RAD when the latter exited the Dixie and intermountain states and downsized their presence in the northeast.

Sent from my SM-G781U using Tapatalk

For your life,Thrifty and Payless have got it.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

I was in Louisville during the conversions and went into quite a few Rite Aid locations including a couple of Customer World units that were in the process of having going out of business sales or conversion-clearance sales.

Didn't see many Wellness Stores in Louisville area... at least not closing or about to convert when I was there...

So 6 of 8 closures are former Rite Aid. Those poor Customer World Stores seem to be cursed.

Looking at the Louisville stores:
4149 Taylor - Rite Aid- RA1 - unremodeled from RA1 at time of conversion
700 Algonquin Parkway - Walgreens - 00's era - and looks to be fully stocked (not missing aisles/boxes all over unused shelf spaces)- wonder why it is closing...
200 East Broadway - Walgreens - downtownish freestanding location.
7500 Terry Road - Rite Aid - Customer World - no Wellness remodel

114 Main Street, North Syracuse, NY - Rite Aid - RA1- with Wellness remodel
423 S Peterboro Street, Canastota, NY - Rite Aid - Customer World - no Wellness remodel
314 Genesee Street, Auburn, NY - Rite Aid - Customer World - no Wellness remodel- strange Walgreens remodel where they put their signs/paint on some walls and kept Rite Aid signs/paint on other walls
4764 Salina Street, Pulaski, NY - Rite Aid - RA1 - with Wellness remodel

Another closure (there seem to be more too):
735 East Main Street in Cobleskill, NY - very different building- but inside an unremodeled Customer World Store
BillyGr
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by BillyGr »

storewanderer wrote: October 22nd, 2022, 1:28 am Another closure (there seem to be more too):
735 East Main Street in Cobleskill, NY - very different building- but inside an unremodeled Customer World Store
Looking at the streetside views online, this looks to be a former Rite Aid but a fairly newly built one.

As I remember from a number of years ago, the stores that were there were up and down the street a bit, and at one point both were under the Eckerd label, before becoming Rite Aid. Being a bit farther west, they may have at some time had both Fays (which is what most of the Eckerd stores around Albany were) and one of the other brands that also became part of the company over time.

One of those two older stores on this street view shows as a Save a Lot, while the other was in a plaza type setting closer to the Price Chopper, so at some point either Rite Aid built this one new, but not sure if it was before they took over Eckerd (and thus just closed the existing Eckerd spots) or afterwards then they moved to this new building (very possible, since the building looks like the store across from Hudson Valley College in Troy, and that was only opened just about as the original Rite Aid/Walgreens merger was being suggested moving from an existing former Eckerd in the strip plaza, and that one stayed as Rite Aid).

The CVS across the street also looks to be a newer store, can't say I remember that one being there either.
buckguy
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by buckguy »

Pulaski is a very small town that depends a lot on seasonal tourism. I’ve been there a couple times. It’s technically part of metro Syracuse, but that area is not growing and has several small population centers. It was not an auspicious place for a chain drug store. The upstate Kinney chain is dominant there and an outsider would be at a disadvantage.
norcalriteaidclerk
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

https://www.wxxinews.org/local-news/202 ... re-closure

Another acquired RAD bites the dust,this in Rochester.Based on the image,this early RA-1 was remodeled into the wellness 2.0 format and was minimally altered by Walgreens.

storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

norcalriteaidclerk wrote: October 24th, 2022, 6:06 pm https://www.wxxinews.org/local-news/202 ... re-closure

Another acquired RAD bites the dust,this in Rochester.Based on the image,this early RA-1 was remodeled into the wellness 2.0 format and was minimally altered by Walgreens.

I notice Walgreens did wall repaints to some stores, repainted some walls in some stores (but not all of the walls), then did not do any wall repaints or signs to other stores. It appears these stores that got no work done, are slated to be closed and have been for quite some time. Supposedly there was some minimum time period Walgreens was required to operate certain stores they converted to Walgreens, or something that I don't fully understand.

Once the dust settles on Walgreens store closures I am starting to wonder how many former Rite Aid stores they will even be operating... seems like every year they go through a round of closures. Lake brought up some closures they did earlier this year elsewhere of former Rite Aid units some months ago too.

I learned a couple weeks ago the Rite Aid in St. George, UT which was a wonderful unremodeled Osco with the early 90's interior that never seemed to get more than one customer at a time, quite amazing it was kept open by Osco then Payless then Rite Aid then 2 years of Walgreens, was actually operated as Walgreens for two years, completely unremodeled. It closed last year, and the interior has unfortunately been demolished and it is becoming a Pickleball facility called the Pickl.
norcalriteaidclerk
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

storewanderer wrote:
norcalriteaidclerk wrote: October 24th, 2022, 6:06 pm https://www.wxxinews.org/local-news/202 ... re-closure

I notice Walgreens did wall repaints to some stores, repainted some walls in some stores (but not all of the walls), then did not do any wall repaints or signs to other stores. It appears these stores that got no work done, are slated to be closed and have been for quite some time. Supposedly there was some minimum time period Walgreens was required to operate certain stores they converted to Walgreens, or something that I don't fully understand.

Once the dust settles on Walgreens store closures I am starting to wonder how many former Rite Aid stores they will even be operating... seems like every year they go through a round of closures. Lake brought up some closures they did earlier this year elsewhere of former Rite Aid units some months ago too.

I learned a couple weeks ago the Rite Aid in St. George, UT which was a wonderful unremodeled Osco with the early 90's interior that never seemed to get more than one customer at a time, quite amazing it was kept open by Osco then Payless then Rite Aid then 2 years of Walgreens, was actually operated as Walgreens for two years, completely unremodeled. It closed last year, and the interior has unfortunately been demolished and it is becoming a Pickleball facility called the Pickl.
https://www.southbmore.com/2022/11/01/w ... ust-point/

We can now add a south Baltimore location to the poisoned chalices that RAD unloaded onto Walgreens five years ago.This was an older strip mall location and until I check Google or Yelp I don't know offhand which interior it had upon divestiture.

buckguy
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by buckguy »

It's an updated plaza in a gentrified, but somewhat isolated part of Baltimore with some industrial employers. The center has recognizable tenants like Starbucks, Sherwin-Williams, etc. There's a Harris Teeter nearby and Giant is replacing Shoppers (I assume Giant will have a pharmacy---they're the one grocery chain in the DC area that seems to have a pharmacy trade of note). If Giant has a pharmacy and H-T has one (they usually do, but I never see anyone using them), then they may not see much for themselves here.