Arco- Marathon?

SamSpade
Store Manager
Store Manager

Re: Arco- Marathon?

Post by SamSpade »

Thanks everyone.
Despite my best efforts, ARCO would redirect me to the NW website and not let me look at the "upper midwest" or "southwest" region ones.

I don't understand why they would drop this as most people still feel ARCO is somehow inferior, I had to overcome this with my sister this weekend which is how I saw the "TopTier" branding was missing at the station level.
Alpha8472

Post by Alpha8472 »

I used to get ARCO gas in Northern California, but upon hearing that they are no longer Top Tier I will go elsewhere. I have a new Marathon nearby and they are Top Tier.

I am still waiting for the Costco in Danville, California to expand. They are expanding across the city lines and adding a gas station across the street in the city of San Ramon. It will be one of the few Costco stores to stretch across 2 cities. They are taking over an Office Depot building. A Costco without gas is a virtually useless store.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

I don't know about the whole Top Tier thing. I don't pay attention to it at all and I have not had any issues.

Considering my fuel purchases I'd say they are about 50/50 Top Tier vs. non-Top Tier.
Alpha8472

Post by Alpha8472 »

Top Tier gas was introduced in 2004. The higher level of cleaning agents in Top Tier gas has shown in several studies that it reduces carbon build ups and deposits on intake valves up to 72 percent or more. These build ups and deposits can cause acceleration hesitation, knocking/pinging, and reduced fuel economy. The photos show significantly less deposits when Top Tier gas is used. Top Tier gas only costs a little bit more, but it is worth it to keep your engine cleaner of deposits. I used to not care about Top Tier gas, but my older car is in really rough shape now. I totally notice the reduced acceleration and poor fuel economy. I inherited a newer car recently and it has always used Top Tier gas, and I really want to keep it in tip top condition.

https://www.consumerreports.org/car-mai ... tra-price/

ARCO served my car well these past few years, but it is time to switch to Marathon exclusively for Top Tier.

I also noticed that ARCO AMPM recently changed their rewards program. You no longer get free cookies, drinks, etc. just by passing their store and opening up the app. You used to win free stuff such as cookies, donuts, or drinks virtually every time. Now you have to make a purchase to earn something. My visits to ARCO dropped to zero even before they stopped selling Top Tier gas. ARCO really knows how to drive their customers away. Especially, their two tier pricing with cash and credit. Credit is much higher than cash. Marathon has no such price difference. They offer a low price regardless of credit or cash.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

In Stockton I purchased some Arco gas at a station accepting credit with the cash credit price variance; it was 3.95 (credit). The pay at the pump worked good (had the tap function and no zip code prompt so completely contactless) but didn't print a receipt. Went inside but there was a line of six people and someone cashing in lotto so I decided to just leave. Other nearby stations were all in the 4.teens at best (saw some 4.29s) so I did not have an issue with the Arco pricing thing but I typically do not like the cash/credit pricing and will often avoid stations doing it. I did see a 7-Eleven with one price and it was 4.15. There was a Speedway with one price as well and it was 3.95.

I have not seen this in CA but in Reno/Carson City there are some stations (mostly the newer Maveriks but also have caught one Shell and one Chevron) selling ethanol free 87 Octane fuel via a separate hose from the rest of the fuel (like diesel). I have heard using ethanol free fuel may help mileage slightly on older vehicles but I am not really sure of the real life results. There is a Chevron in Carson City at the corner of Carson St/William St where this ethanol free fuel often sells for the same price or very close to the same price as the regular 87 octane fuel and I have purchased it many times, but did not pay attention to how mileage was and didn't really notice any radically different results. Other locations with it usually price it .30 or .40 above the regular fuel.
Super S

Post by Super S »

Alpha8472 wrote: June 16th, 2021, 12:21 am Top Tier gas was introduced in 2004. The higher level of cleaning agents in Top Tier gas has shown in several studies that it reduces carbon build ups and deposits on intake valves up to 72 percent or more. These build ups and deposits can cause acceleration hesitation, knocking/pinging, and reduced fuel economy. The photos show significantly less deposits when Top Tier gas is used. Top Tier gas only costs a little bit more, but it is worth it to keep your engine cleaner of deposits. I used to not care about Top Tier gas, but my older car is in really rough shape now. I totally notice the reduced acceleration and poor fuel economy. I inherited a newer car recently and it has always used Top Tier gas, and I really want to keep it in tip top condition.

https://www.consumerreports.org/car-mai ... tra-price/

ARCO served my car well these past few years, but it is time to switch to Marathon exclusively for Top Tier.

I also noticed that ARCO AMPM recently changed their rewards program. You no longer get free cookies, drinks, etc. just by passing their store and opening up the app. You used to win free stuff such as cookies, donuts, or drinks virtually every time. Now you have to make a purchase to earn something. My visits to ARCO dropped to zero even before they stopped selling Top Tier gas. ARCO really knows how to drive their customers away. Especially, their two tier pricing with cash and credit. Credit is much higher than cash. Marathon has no such price difference. They offer a low price regardless of credit or cash.
I own two newer GM vehicles. GM and others are no longer installing replaceable fuel filters, the only filter on the whole system is on the pump inside the tank. The only exception seems to be diesel engines. I use Chevron because I don't want to gamble with quality and have to replace a fuel pump prematurely.

I have friends who work in the auto repair business who have seen things like sticking injectors and other issues on vehicles where customers were regularly using ARCO gas.

I will admit that I have used ARCO in a pinch a few times, and in one instance experienced detonation issues.

Marathon will need to establish itself out here as a brand, but in other areas they have a good quality reputation. Honestly, a switch from ARCO to a different fuel brand might bring in customers who otherwise avoid those stations.
jamcool
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by jamcool »

In SoCal and Arizona, both Marathon and ARCO stations are supplied by the same refineries-Marathon in LA, and in Arizona-Marathon in El Paso. So the same additives (STP?) are probably in both brands
Alpha8472

Post by Alpha8472 »

The additives are different for ARCO and Marathon. The local refinery produces gas for many stations such as Shell, ARCO, Exxon, but each brand uses different mixes of engine cleaners. When the tanker truck fills up, the gas truck driver chooses the brand and the detergents are added right then.

Studies even showed different levels of engine cleaners between Exxon and Mobil gas. Those two brands are owned by the same company. Exxon had a higher level of certain detergents than Mobil. Mobil had the lowest level of detergents among Top Tier brands. I have found that my nearby Mobil gas is a few cents cheaper than the Exxon down the street. I would rather pay a little extra for Exxon.
BillyGr
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by BillyGr »

storewanderer wrote: June 16th, 2021, 12:33 am I have not seen this in CA but in Reno/Carson City there are some stations (mostly the newer Maveriks but also have caught one Shell and one Chevron) selling ethanol free 87 Octane fuel via a separate hose from the rest of the fuel (like diesel). I have heard using ethanol free fuel may help mileage slightly on older vehicles but I am not really sure of the real life results.
We have the ethanol free here (though in the premium gas) via the local NY based Stewart's chain. Never used it in a vehicle but do get a small can for the smaller equipment (mainly for the snow blowers in the winter, particularly since both are older, one being probably 1960's vintage and figuring those were not designed for the ethanol fuels). Seems the same would apply to older vehicles, just not sure how far back they started designing them for the ethanol blend.

That one is a fair amount higher (being premium), but when you are getting a 2 gallon can a couple times a year it doesn't make that much difference in the long run.
Brian Lutz
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by Brian Lutz »

My Dad has spent most of his life working on cars (albeit not as a professional) and tends to be very picky about what gas he will put into his cars. Arco is well down on the "do not use" list for him, as he has seen a fair number of problems caused by using it. Based on his advice I mostly stick to Shell and Chevron with an occasional tank of 76 gas.

I don't think there are any major brands here selling Ethanol-free gas, but I know of a few scattered stations here and there that have it. There is a tribal Chevron station \ truck stop (run by the Colville tribes) in Moses Lake that has Ethanol free gas, but it's specifically labelled as "not a Chevron product" on the pumps, and I believe it may even be dispensed from a different hose on the pump.

Most newer Maverik locations also have Ethanol-free gas and display it on their price signs, one of the few major brands I've seen that sells and promotes it.