Arco- Marathon?

HCal
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Re: Arco- Marathon?

Post by HCal »

Alpha8472 wrote: June 16th, 2021, 12:21 am My visits to ARCO dropped to zero even before they stopped selling Top Tier gas.
Arco is still listed on the Top Tier website, and per their rules, all retail locations within the country must meet top tier standards. I don't think they have stopped selling top tier gas. It's possible that the northwest region simply stopped advertising it for whatever reason.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

There was no reference to Top Tier on the Arco pumps I used in Stockton last week.

Pretty sure it would have been there... this was a corporate Arco. Yes BP has a few corporate Arcos again...
Alpha8472

Post by Alpha8472 »

The ARCO gas stations in the San Francisco Bay Area near me have removed their Top Tier stickers. They no longer show up on the station locator on the Top Tier website. In fact, the Marathon gas station in my area does not have Top Tier stickers either and it is not on the station locator.

Some ARCO regions are Top Tier and some are not. The Top Tier website allows ARCO to be on the list of brands that are Top Tier even if only some of the regions are Top Tier. This is misleading as you might mistake all ARCO gas stations as Top Tier.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

The Arco locations around Reno do not show up on the Top Tier site either. However they have materials advertising they are Top Tier at the stations (or did).
Alpha8472

Post by Alpha8472 »

I visited the local Marathon gas station again and I found a Top Tier sticker on the pump. The station still does not appear on the Top Tier website's station locator.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

I went to an Arco in Minden, NV. They had stickers on the pumps showing credit card acceptance and also a brochure at the pump saying Arco now accepts credit cards. However the pump would not take my card. I went in and they said they do not accept credit cards and Arco put the stickers and brochures out there but they are independently owned.

What is funny is this Arco wanted 3.49 for gas, the Maverik basically behind it was 3.46 then you get .02 off with the loyalty card and they accept all forms of payment. Not sure why anyone would go to Arco. Well, it is along the main highway and it was my first stop...

Around Reno it seems maybe half of the Arco locations are accepting credit cards. So far the following do not accept credit cards yet:
Minden, NV
S. Virgnina St Reno, NV
N. McCarran Blvd. Sparks, NV
Sierra Highlands Drive, Reno, NV

There are also billboards around saying Arco now accepts credit cards. They probably should have gotten all of the locations on board before advertising like that.
Alpha8472

Post by Alpha8472 »

I also noticed that some ARCO stores are participating in Marathon's gas rewards. This is bizarre as AMPM already has a rewards app.

I guess you could use both. The Marathon rewards earn you points for some totally not gas
related things. I chose Target E Gift cards. I doubt I will ever earn 6000 points for a $5 Target gift card.
Alpha8472

Post by Alpha8472 »

I have won a couple items recently using the ARCO app. A 24 ounce water and a rib sandwich. These are probably something they want to get rid of.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

The BP AM PMs in NorCal seem to heavily promote and support the app. Up here in NV the Tesoro Arco AM PMs do not promote the app at all. They do use the same point of sale system (but different credit card processing systems with the BP ones on a First Data system and the Tesoro ones on a Heartland system). The last one up here in NV I tried to use that app at told me it "didn't work there anymore" and refused to even scan it.

Lot of folks fighting fires in remote rural parts of NorCal that would love that 24 oz bottle of water right now.
TempoNick
Stock Clerk
Stock Clerk

Post by TempoNick »

I'm curious why there haven't been any news stories about their use of the Arco brand. You would think they would at least want one of the convenience store magazines to do a profile about two brands now being available to get the word out.

I'm also curious about what they are doing in the upper midwest. It seems like they were converting all the Tesoro stations to Arco before the merger. But I see the Tesoro stations keep growing. I thought they would want Marathon up there as their flag.