Is 2021 finally the end for Sears/Kmart?

Predicting the demise of Sears & Kmart since 2017!
TW-Upstate NY
Shift Manager
Shift Manager

Re: Is 2021 finally the end for Sears/Kmart?

Post by TW-Upstate NY »

Super S wrote: December 19th, 2021, 12:06 pm
storewanderer wrote: December 18th, 2021, 12:48 am I think part of the benefit for the old Sears exchange was Sears knew any time the customer came to the store, was a potential to sell them something else.
I have an entire pouch of Craftsman wrenches which belonged to my Father. They are beyond old but look just as good as the day they were purchased and he used them a lot. I didn't buy into the replacement guarantee until back sometime in the '80's when my Father's socket wrench broke. I was going shopping one day so he asked me if I'd go to Sears and get him a new one. "All you have to do is give them the old one" he said "and they'll give you a new one." I still was skeptical and decided that if they didn't make good on it, I would've just bought him a new one so he wouldn't be disappointed. I took it into the Sears at Colonie Center and get helped by a middle aged/older gentleman and not only do I get a new wrench free of charge but a very courteous thank you for shopping at Sears even though I didn't buy a thing. The guy was quite likely a career Sears man and he obviously realized the value of that transaction better than anybody. I was only in my 20's at the time but that interaction left a lasting impression on me as well; an impression that does indeed create lifelong customers. Damned shame that's all gone now.

For the most part, the Craftsman tools at Lowe's have a different appearance and feel from the items they offered at Sears, and have shifted to more imported products.

Can confirm that-bought a Craftsman Leaf Blower at Lowe's and the starter rope broke in LESS than a year. That NEVER would've happened with a unit bought at Sears back in the day. They actively sought out quality suppliers and Craftsman actually meant something instead of being just another brand name among many in a company's portfolio. Thanks for nothing Eddie!
Last edited by TW-Upstate NY on December 22nd, 2021, 1:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bryceleinan
Personnel Manager
Personnel Manager

Post by bryceleinan »

TW-Upstate NY wrote: December 21st, 2021, 1:00 pm
Super S wrote: December 19th, 2021, 12:06 pm
storewanderer wrote: December 18th, 2021, 12:48 am I think part of the benefit for the old Sears exchange was Sears knew any time the customer came to the store, was a potential to sell them something else.
I have an entire pouch of Craftsman wrenches which belonged to my Father. They are beyond old but look just as good as the day they were purchased and he used them a lot. I didn't buy into the replacement guarantee until back sometime in the '80's when my Father's socket wrench broke. I was going shopping one day so he asked me if I'd go to Sears and get him a new one. "All you have to do is give them the old one" he said "and they'll give you a new one." I took it into the Sears at Colonie Center and get helped by a middle aged/older gentleman and not only do I get a new wrench free of charge but a very courteous thank you for shopping at Sears even though I didn't buy a thing. The guy was quite likely a career Sears man and he obviously realized the value of that transaction better than anybody. I was only in my 20's at the time but that interaction left a lasting impression on me as well; am impression that does indeed create lifelong customers. Damned shame that's all gone now.

For the most part, the Craftsman tools at Lowe's have a different appearance and feel from the items they offered at Sears, and have shifted to more imported products.

Can confirm that-bought a Craftsman Leaf Blower at Lowe's and the starter rope broke in LESS than a year. That NEVER would've happened with a unit bought at Sears back in the day. They actively sought out quality suppliers and Craftsman actually meant something instead of being just another brand name among many in a company's portfolio. Thanks for nothing Eddie!
Since StanleyBlack&Decker bought Craftsman, most of the production shifted to their facilities. I will say the Craftsman power tools seem to be a bit better than DeWalt - haven’t had the battery issues I’ve had with DeWalt (yet). Our local Napa in Dayton can warranty Craftsman that is purchased through them, otherwise, they send you to Lowe’s or Ace Hardware. Ace was nice enough to get me taken care of on a couple of things, I won’t step foot into most of our Lowe’s stores to find out. Glad we have an Ace coming to Dayton.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

Received an e-mail from Kmart showing some items I purchased at 90% off last week (clothing) and links to purchase the items online (at full price). I wonder how they fulfill these online orders. I guess the few open stores still ship items out... must all be system generated.
TW-Upstate NY
Shift Manager
Shift Manager

Post by TW-Upstate NY »

bryceleinan wrote: December 21st, 2021, 5:38 pm Since StanleyBlack&Decker bought Craftsman, most of the production shifted to their facilities. I will say the Craftsman power tools seem to be a bit better than DeWalt - haven’t had the battery issues I’ve had with DeWalt (yet). Our local Napa in Dayton can warranty Craftsman that is purchased through them, otherwise, they send you to Lowe’s or Ace Hardware. Ace was nice enough to get me taken care of on a couple of things, I won’t step foot into most of our Lowe’s stores to find out. Glad we have an Ace coming to Dayton.
Maybe for drills and the like but things like the leaf blower that broke on me post haste, I believe that stuff is made by MTD who also own the Bolens and Troy-Bilt brands some of which is made in Mexico.
buckguy
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by buckguy »

MTD is now part of Stanley Black & Decker, which owns Craftsman. MTD makes a lot of private label products, besides owning a variety of brands. Their MTD lawn mowers used to be about the best of the push-type.
BillyGr
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by BillyGr »

TW-Upstate NY wrote: December 22nd, 2021, 1:59 pm
bryceleinan wrote: December 21st, 2021, 5:38 pm Since StanleyBlack&Decker bought Craftsman, most of the production shifted to their facilities. I will say the Craftsman power tools seem to be a bit better than DeWalt - haven’t had the battery issues I’ve had with DeWalt (yet). Our local Napa in Dayton can warranty Craftsman that is purchased through them, otherwise, they send you to Lowe’s or Ace Hardware. Ace was nice enough to get me taken care of on a couple of things, I won’t step foot into most of our Lowe’s stores to find out. Glad we have an Ace coming to Dayton.
Maybe for drills and the like but things like the leaf blower that broke on me post haste, I believe that stuff is made by MTD who also own the Bolens and Troy-Bilt brands some of which is made in Mexico.
So I guess that last company should change its name to Mexico-Bilt (unless, of course they happen to be located in a place called Troy, Mexico - given that the name had a point originally). ;)
submariner
Founder of RetailWatchers.com
Founder of RetailWatchers.com

Post by submariner »

In 2021, we went from 54 to 29 Sears stores, and from 36 to 11 Kmart stores. The company's terminal illness will continue into 2022, as will this thread...

viewtopic.php?f=20&t=3008