Albertson/Vons/Pavilions Pricing

California. No non-grocery posts.
HCal
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Re: Albertson/Vons/Pavilions Pricing

Post by HCal »

retailfanmitchell019 wrote: December 13th, 2022, 6:17 pm
According to the Kroger 2021 factbook, Walmart is #3 in San Diego market share. This factbook doesn't even mention Costco, so it could be even lower.
https://s1.q4cdn.com/137099145/files/do ... t-Book.pdf
I don't think Kroger considers Costco a supermarket, so they wouldn't be included in those calculations. I would be shocked if Walmart had more grocery market share than Costco in Price Club's hometown.
ClownLoach
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by ClownLoach »

HCal wrote: December 13th, 2022, 10:55 pm
retailfanmitchell019 wrote: December 13th, 2022, 6:17 pm
According to the Kroger 2021 factbook, Walmart is #3 in San Diego market share. This factbook doesn't even mention Costco, so it could be even lower.
https://s1.q4cdn.com/137099145/files/do ... t-Book.pdf
I don't think Kroger considers Costco a supermarket, so they wouldn't be included in those calculations. I would be shocked if Walmart had more grocery market share than Costco in Price Club's hometown.
I would be shocked if Costco was not the overall #1 volume leader in San Diego County. Their density of stores and volumes are off the charts. They appear to be the top market in volume for Costco outside of the PNW, and they have commented several times in the last few years in earnings announcements that San Diego County led the entire company in comp sales. They keep knocking down walls and adding pop out expansions onto San Diego County stores, they are taking the Escondido mall Sears site and building there soon, and I would not be surprised at all if they don't have more stores under development (including Oceanside off Highway 76 finally).

Ralphs has closed so many stores in San Diego area I have trouble believing they are still #1 in conventional. They've practically abandoned the fast growing Oceanside/North County and Mira Mesa areas, the downtown "signature" store looks scaled back and is probably ready to close, and I do not know of any locations that are significantly busy aside from Encinitas, Carlsbad and the La Jolla store near Nobel Dr. (weird and massive former Smiths which has the "Kosher Experience" in it, a second bakery, deli and meat dept. all kosher).
veteran+
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by veteran+ »

The Mission Valley and Hillcrest Fresh Fares are very high volume and well managed.
rwsandiego
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by rwsandiego »

veteran+ wrote: December 14th, 2022, 9:16 am The Mission Valley and Hillcrest Fresh Fares are very high volume and well managed.
Even before Mission Valley became a Fresh Fare it was one of (if not the) best Ralphs in San Diego county. It always seemed odd that it wasn't a Fresh Fare, so I am glad it finally got its due. Hillcrest has always been high volume, but until it became a Fresh Fare about 10 years ago (might be longer - I didn't shop there very often and instead shopped at the Mission Valley store) it was not a great Ralphs.

Regarding market share, when I lived in San Diego (2000 - 2016) Vons was the market leader. They have several stores in urban San Diego that attract shoppers from the surrounding neighborhoods. Ralphs didn't have the same coverage even before they closed stores.
veteran+
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by veteran+ »

rwsandiego wrote: December 14th, 2022, 8:50 pm
veteran+ wrote: December 14th, 2022, 9:16 am The Mission Valley and Hillcrest Fresh Fares are very high volume and well managed.
Even before Mission Valley became a Fresh Fare it was one of (if not the) best Ralphs in San Diego county. It always seemed odd that it wasn't a Fresh Fare, so I am glad it finally got its due. Hillcrest has always been high volume, but until it became a Fresh Fare about 10 years ago (might be longer - I didn't shop there very often and instead shopped at the Mission Valley store) it was not a great Ralphs.

Regarding market share, when I lived in San Diego (2000 - 2016) Vons was the market leader. They have several stores in urban San Diego that attract shoppers from the surrounding neighborhoods. Ralphs didn't have the same coverage even before they closed stores.
That Vons all the way west on University is also a beautiful high volume store (2 story building with parking garage on first floor).
rwsandiego
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by rwsandiego »

veteran+ wrote: December 15th, 2022, 8:27 am
rwsandiego wrote: December 14th, 2022, 8:50 pm

That Vons all the way west on University is also a beautiful high volume store (2 story building with parking garage on first floor).
Oh, yeah! Its predecessor on the same site was a very small former Safeway that the residents complained about but were opposed to replacing. NIMBYism and all. Same thing with the Albertsons across the street. It is the perfect size for Lazy Acres, though.
retailfanmitchell019
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by retailfanmitchell019 »

ClownLoach wrote: December 14th, 2022, 12:39 am They've practically abandoned the fast growing Oceanside/North County and Mira Mesa areas, the downtown "signature" store looks scaled back and is probably ready to close, and I do not know of any locations that are significantly busy aside from Encinitas, Carlsbad and the La Jolla store near Nobel Dr. (weird and massive former Smiths which has the "Kosher Experience" in it, a second bakery, deli and meat dept. all kosher).
10 years ago, Ralphs had 4 stores in O'side. They are now down to 1. The one left is at Old Grove Rd/Highway 76. This one is a 2004 build "Marketplace" store (still has Ralphs Marketplace signage, with the Ralphs wordmark, no oval). This is in the same zip code as an Albertsons (Mission Ave store, original 1986 build "Superstore") and a Vons (1995 build, same shopping center as a Walmart).
Ultimately, I expect both the Albertsons and Vons stores nearby to go into SpinCo. I wouldn't be surprised if the O'side Vons has an Albertsons sign within two years. I'm surprised they didn't divest that Vons to Haggen.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

retailfanmitchell019 wrote: December 16th, 2022, 12:31 pm
10 years ago, Ralphs had 4 stores in O'side. They are now down to 1. The one left is at Old Grove Rd/Highway 76. This one is a 2004 build "Marketplace" store (still has Ralphs Marketplace signage, with the Ralphs wordmark, no oval). This is in the same zip code as an Albertsons (Mission Ave store, original 1986 build "Superstore") and a Vons (1995 build, same shopping center as a Walmart).
Ultimately, I expect both the Albertsons and Vons stores nearby to go into SpinCo. I wouldn't be surprised if the O'side Vons has an Albertsons sign within two years. I'm surprised they didn't divest that Vons to Haggen.
Ralphs has had quite a bit of closure activity around San Diego in that 2006-2014ish period and many of the stores closed were pretty sad stores, low volume, and not great representations of the Ralphs brand.

I'd expect the Mission Ave. Store to be divested and the Vons to stay with Kroger.
Bagels
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by Bagels »

Albertsons has been running a lot less promotions (circular + J4U) in recent months and seems to be trying to keep its every day pricing down. Bananas are now 69c/lb, 8 oz. slicing mushrooms $2.69 and 3 ct/18 oz. romaine hearts $4.49 at my local Ralphs. They're 69c./lb, $2.49 and $3.99 at Albertsons, respectively. While most are thinking "big whoop," in 2018, Ralphs was 49c/lb for bananas, $1.49 for the mushrooms and $2.69 for romaine hearts... while Albertsons was .69/lb, $2.49 and $3.49 respectively. You could buy bananas for 39c and mushrooms and romaine hearts for $1 at 99 Cent Only. The 99 is 55c/lb for bananas, 1.29 for 4 oz sliced mushrooms ($2.58 for 8 oz) and $2.99 for romaine hearts.... I'm stunned.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

Bagels wrote: January 9th, 2023, 2:59 pm Albertsons has been running a lot less promotions (circular + J4U) in recent months and seems to be trying to keep its every day pricing down. Bananas are now 69c/lb, 8 oz. slicing mushrooms $2.69 and 3 ct/18 oz. romaine hearts $4.49 at my local Ralphs. They're 69c./lb, $2.49 and $3.99 at Albertsons, respectively. While most are thinking "big whoop," in 2018, Ralphs was 49c/lb for bananas, $1.49 for the mushrooms and $2.69 for romaine hearts... while Albertsons was .69/lb, $2.49 and $3.49 respectively. You could buy bananas for 39c and mushrooms and romaine hearts for $1 at 99 Cent Only. The 99 is 55c/lb for bananas, 1.29 for 4 oz sliced mushrooms ($2.58 for 8 oz) and $2.99 for romaine hearts.... I'm stunned.
I am shopping more and more at WinCo and even picking a few more items up at Wal Mart lately all of these items are things I used to buy at Smiths but have had to give up on Smiths due to consistently being out of stock and/or too high of prices. I buy next to nothing at Smiths lately. Safeway is pretty much only ad items, some weeks that is quite a few items and other weeks that may be zero items. I've also basically stopped shopping Raleys entirely due to their arrogant ONE format and pricing combined with lackluster execution at other non-ONE locations I've been going into, and Save Mart gets a few purchases out of me most weeks moreso due to location than anything else.

Safeway pricing is a total and complete joke. Safeway in Reno now wants 9.99 for 12pk Pepsi (there is some sale 6.99 if you buy 3 or something). I have never seen 12pk soda cost this much. Who would pay this? In CA with the CRV and tax you'd be looking at almost $12 for a 12pk of soda and in Oakland/San Francisco with the sugar beverage tax I don't even know what the total would be. Glad I don't drink this stuff, it is a huge waste of money at these prices. Safeway did have some great deals this week- Yoplait was .29 (limit 10 digital coupon) and then they had Lays Chips/other varieties .99 if you buy 4 (limit 4 must buy 4 digital coupon) as they had overlapping offers first 1.99 must buy 4 ad price then a 4.00 off 4 digital coupon. Also we still have $5 Friday so that had some okay deals last week but laughable regular prices.

99 Only in Reno currently wants 9.99 for 18ct Eggs. Highest price I've EVER seen. I am not sure what 99 Only is trying to become. I still pick up a few items there every now and then; they had the .99 blackberries a few days ago; quality was fine. Also have some .99 boxed pasta in assorted brands 16oz (Ronzoni, Meijer, some others) which is a solid deal now.