Albertson/Vons/Pavilions Pricing

California. No non-grocery posts.
storewanderer

Re: Albertson/Vons/Pavilions Pricing

Post by storewanderer »

retailfanmitchell019 wrote: January 23rd, 2023, 6:47 pm
ClownLoach wrote: January 23rd, 2023, 6:30 pm Frazier is related to Boney's and Henry's somehow. I believe the Oceanside Blvd. site was a Boney's before.
Off Topic
Yeah, I grew up shopping at that Boney's with my parents.
I wonder how/why Boney's kept that store. Aren't many of the present day Sprouts Stores former Boney's Stores? I recall a Boney's in El Cajon in the late 80's. The store, at the time, was very similar if not identical to a Natural Grocers today. Looking now I see the current Sprouts on Jamacha in El Cajon is the former Boney's; the left side of it (bordering Main) is the part that was Boney's. The right side of it is a former Party City that Sprouts at some point expanded into.
ClownLoach
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by ClownLoach »

storewanderer wrote: January 23rd, 2023, 10:18 pm
retailfanmitchell019 wrote: January 23rd, 2023, 6:47 pm
ClownLoach wrote: January 23rd, 2023, 6:30 pm Frazier is related to Boney's and Henry's somehow. I believe the Oceanside Blvd. site was a Boney's before.
Off Topic
Yeah, I grew up shopping at that Boney's with my parents.
I wonder how/why Boney's kept that store. Aren't many of the present day Sprouts Stores former Boney's Stores? I recall a Boney's in El Cajon in the late 80's. The store, at the time, was very similar if not identical to a Natural Grocers today. Looking now I see the current Sprouts on Jamacha in El Cajon is the former Boney's; the left side of it (bordering Main) is the part that was Boney's. The right side of it is a former Party City that Sprouts at some point expanded into.
I also wonder if the building is actually two stories. It was listed as 67,000 square feet. No way that is a 67K store, it looks like 30K on the sales floor and that's it. The ceiling is exposed warehouse and not very tall, maybe 15 feet. There has to be a second floor above. I wonder if the old Boney's offices were upstairs or something? It's a very tall building outside and looks solid, not a facade. I do recall going in there years ago before it was Frazier and being underwhelmed, but I don't know when I went there. Maybe around 2007? Not sure if it was still around then.

I believe the Boney family "owns" two Sprouts stores that were mentioned on a previous thread here in Chula Vista.
ClownLoach
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by ClownLoach »

4 pack of Häagen-Dazs ice cream bars $9.99 at Albertsons last night. Not a typo. Some Sargento cheese slices up to $6.99 a pack. Some very wild price increases landing at Albertsons right now.
Bagels
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by Bagels »

ClownLoach wrote: February 7th, 2023, 1:44 pm 4 pack of Häagen-Dazs ice cream bars $9.99 at Albertsons last night. Not a typo. Some Sargento cheese slices up to $6.99 a pack. Some very wild price increases landing at Albertsons right now.
2 lb bag of frozen french fries/ breakfast potatoes are $4.99 - $5.99, up from $1.99 - $2.49 in December. I got a personalized coupon for $1.25ish every other week last year, but nothing since December. I haven’t gotten a $ off basket coupon since December either.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

Bagels wrote: February 7th, 2023, 9:06 pm
ClownLoach wrote: February 7th, 2023, 1:44 pm 4 pack of Häagen-Dazs ice cream bars $9.99 at Albertsons last night. Not a typo. Some Sargento cheese slices up to $6.99 a pack. Some very wild price increases landing at Albertsons right now.
2 lb bag of frozen french fries/ breakfast potatoes are $4.99 - $5.99, up from $1.99 - $2.49 in December. I got a personalized coupon for $1.25ish every other week last year, but nothing since December. I haven’t gotten a $ off basket coupon since December either.
Prices on the frozen fries are skyrocketing. Over at Smiths the Kroger is now 3.29 and Ore Ida now 6.29 (yes this is higher than Safeway or Raleys everyday prices in the 5's), they just posted those increases Wednesday. Not long ago those Kroger ones were everyday low price at 1.79 and last time I was at Wal Mart their frozen fries were around 1.83. A LOT of price increases posted at Smiths this past week. Safeway's pricing is already so bad and has been for so long that nothing really stuck out new the past week other than the stupid 3 for $1.00 banana price and what appear to be smaller bananas than before on the displays. But that's okay- got a nice bunch of 6 big bananas from Trader Joe's tonight that weighs 3.5 pounds (weighed it at home)- just 1.14. Great deal. Along with multiple other items that were 40% cheaper than Safeway. Eggs also still 2.89 per dozen at Trader Joe's. 6 cashiers open at 8:30 PM.

The ice cream bars were 2 for $5 last Friday in NorCal, regular price was I think 6.59. One Friday recently the deal was $5 each.
Bagels
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by Bagels »

storewanderer wrote: February 8th, 2023, 1:07 am
Bagels wrote: February 7th, 2023, 9:06 pm
Prices on the frozen fries are skyrocketing. Over at Smiths the Kroger is now 3.29 and Ore Ida now 6.29 (yes this is higher than Safeway or Raleys everyday prices in the 5's), they just posted those increases Wednesday. Not long ago those Kroger ones were everyday low price at 1.79 and last time I was at Wal Mart their frozen fries were around 1.83. A LOT of price increases posted at Smiths this past week. Safeway's pricing is already so bad and has been for so long that nothing really stuck out new the past week other than the stupid 3 for $1.00 banana price and what appear to be smaller bananas than before on the displays. But that's okay- got a nice bunch of 6 big bananas from Trader Joe's tonight that weighs 3.5 pounds (weighed it at home)- just 1.14. Great deal. Along with multiple other items that were 40% cheaper than Safeway. Eggs also still 2.89 per dozen at Trader Joe's. 6 cashiers open at 8:30 PM.

The ice cream bars were 2 for $5 last Friday in NorCal, regular price was I think 6.59. One Friday recently the deal was $5 each.
Good catch!

French fries are $3.29 - $3.49 at Ralph's an $3.29 - $3.49 at both F4L and Walmart. All up considerably, but far less of a price hike than Albertsons.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

Bagels wrote: February 8th, 2023, 2:58 pm

Good catch!

French fries are $3.29 - $3.49 at Ralph's an $3.29 - $3.49 at both F4L and Walmart. All up considerably, but far less of a price hike than Albertsons.
I checked at Wal Mart and the 2lb frozen Great Value fries are mostly 1.98 at present (they scan this way- the tater tots scanned at 1.82). Stuff like diced hash browns etc. were around 2.29. While scanning them on the app I couldn't help but notice how low the user reviews for these things are so maybe they are no good... I had been buying the Kroger ones sometimes (back at the 1.79 price which I think was as recent as maybe November) and thought quality was fine.

Smiths threw out another round of massive price hikes in this week's price changes. Throughout the store. Now multiple items in produce there priced higher than Safeway. Pathetic situation, not sure what they are doing. I am afraid Kroger is working to get its prices to be close to as high as Safeway in preparation for this upcoming merger. Glad I have a lot of other choices. But my visit to Food Maxx also revealed various items with 20-30% price hikes from a few weeks ago, but many of those items Save Mart posted similar % increases months ago so I was expecting Food Maxx to go up eventually and am surprised how slow they are to price hike compared to Save Mart.
SamSpade
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by SamSpade »

Not trying to drag this off topic, but found it interesting in my hometown Fred Meyer vs. Albertsons vs. what I know at Walmart

Bigelow teas (20 bags, assorted varieties)
$2.49 sale Albertsons (everyday $3.99)
$4.14 Fred Meyer
$3.12 Walmart
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

SamSpade wrote: February 9th, 2023, 11:50 am Not trying to drag this off topic, but found it interesting in my hometown Fred Meyer vs. Albertsons vs. what I know at Walmart

Bigelow teas (20 bags, assorted varieties)
$2.49 sale Albertsons (everyday $3.99)
$4.14 Fred Meyer
$3.12 Walmart
4.19 on Bigelow at Smiths and 3.99 at NorCal Safeway... that is another recent price increase at Smiths. It was previously 3.29.
Depending on flavor 2.98-3.12 at Wal Mart.
Bagels
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by Bagels »

Bagels wrote: January 22nd, 2023, 1:22 am And just like that, Albertsons rings in the New Year with some huge price increases.

4ct Signature Select breakfast sandwiches went from $4.49 to $8.49. From the value leader to the most overpriced overnight… incredible.

100ct Value Corner paper plates are now $5.99. These were $1.99 a year ago. This is one of the items Albertsons has long underpriced Walmart on to get people into its stores. Not sure why the price of uncoated paper plates has swelled - Ralphs is at $3.79 (was $1.99 a year ago as well) and Walmart is $5.18. Several retailers - including Target and Meijer - no longer sell uncoated paper plates. Dollar Tree has a 40ct, but they’re rarely in stock. The 99 has 50ct for $1.49, but again, they’re difficult to find in stock. Shocking that coated paper plates are now cheaper per plate when buying a 400ct from Walmart or Ralphs.

500ct napkins went from $3.99 to $4.99. The price increase is actually more than $1, considering they were perpetually on sale for $1.99 - $2.50 for the last several years. They haven’t been on sale in awhile, which is especially unusual given they are generally at their lowest price during the Holdiays. Ralphs is at $6.49, but probably because they’re pushing their new value brand (same product, different packaging).
Both the napkins and paper plates are now $6.99. Incredible - again, the paper plates were just a $1.99 a year ago. Gotta wonder when prices will stabilize.