Albertson/Vons/Pavilions Pricing

California. No non-grocery posts.
ClownLoach
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Re: Albertson/Vons/Pavilions Pricing

Post by ClownLoach »

Bagels wrote: February 27th, 2023, 12:24 pm Here's a good mystery:

Albertsons is really, really high on health & beauty products -- higher than Walgreens/ CVS / Rite Aid. Which is why I'm surprised their Dollar Shave Club products are priced same as Walmart. They're on sale at the moment, and with the now-expired coupon + Fetch rewards, yielded some super cheap pricing (including free shaving cream / butter).

Ironically, Kroger appears to be removing DSC from its stores and replacing it with Harry's. Everything was 1/2 off at the stores by me, and what was left found its way to the bargain bin. The shelf spacing is now Harry's.
I could be wrong but I thought DSC set their own price with a MAP program? Either way too many of these direct to consumer companies changing their model to retail and raising their prices at the same time. I think the new, new model is to launch direct to consumer, establish a base of happy consistent customers at a certain price, then move to retail and significantly increase the price. Many of the customers will accept the higher price as part of the convenience of buying at retail.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

Another great whopper at Safeway.

Ore Ida Frozen Potatoes-Fries/Tater Tots etc. 30oz bag or 32oz bag or whatever the standard size is, regular price now 8.49, sale price 6.79
Bagels
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by Bagels »

ClownLoach wrote: February 28th, 2023, 10:26 am
Bagels wrote: February 27th, 2023, 12:24 pm Here's a good mystery:

Albertsons is really, really high on health & beauty products -- higher than Walgreens/ CVS / Rite Aid. Which is why I'm surprised their Dollar Shave Club products are priced same as Walmart. They're on sale at the moment, and with the now-expired coupon + Fetch rewards, yielded some super cheap pricing (including free shaving cream / butter).

Ironically, Kroger appears to be removing DSC from its stores and replacing it with Harry's. Everything was 1/2 off at the stores by me, and what was left found its way to the bargain bin. The shelf spacing is now Harry's.
I could be wrong but I thought DSC set their own price with a MAP program? Either way too many of these direct to consumer companies changing their model to retail and raising their prices at the same time. I think the new, new model is to launch direct to consumer, establish a base of happy consistent customers at a certain price, then move to retail and significantly increase the price. Many of the customers will accept the higher price as part of the convenience of buying at retail.
I’m not sure but it’s now owned by Unilever, and Albertsons sells most of their products at a price point higher than Walgreens and CVS. Allegedly DSC has never turned a profit - Unilever wants to trade the DTC model for traditional retail. Apparently they were losing lots of money doing DTC. The loss of Kroger has got to be a major blow.
Bagels
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by Bagels »

storewanderer wrote: February 28th, 2023, 7:24 pm Another great whopper at Safeway.

Ore Ida Frozen Potatoes-Fries/Tater Tots etc. 30oz bag or 32oz bag or whatever the standard size is, regular price now 8.49, sale price 6.79
Ralphs and Albertsons are both $6.49 here, which is double what it was a year ago. Even Wallymart is $5.49.

We sometimes treat ourselves with Carne Asada fries from a local takeout joint. A year ago, the price went up to $12 so we stopped going. We went over the weekend - $18. Crazy.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

Bagels wrote: March 1st, 2023, 10:48 pm
storewanderer wrote: February 28th, 2023, 7:24 pm Another great whopper at Safeway.

Ralphs and Albertsons are both $6.49 here, which is double what it was a year ago. Even Wallymart is $5.49.

We sometimes treat ourselves with Carne Asada fries from a local takeout joint. A year ago, the price went up to $12 so we stopped going. We went over the weekend - $18. Crazy.
I don't understand why the pricing on frozen potato products has gotten this high. The raw cost of potatoes is up but it isn't up THIS much.

I'm showing Wal Mart when I look the price up on a 32oz Ore Ida Crinkle at 5.28 in NV and CA. Of course the Wal Mart I was in earlier the shelf tag still had a 4.something price- their scan price integrity is so screwed up.

I took a look at Target- their website says 3.79 via "Shipt" but won't allow any frozen food for Drive Up/Pick Up. So I went to Brickseek- put in the local store for that item- shows a 5.49 price in Reno. I guess they haven't increased the price yet for "Shipt." Interesting. I also put in a Brickseek check on 90001 and that brings up many stores- I get prices ranging from 3.79, 5.49, 5.89, 5.99.
Bagels
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by Bagels »

storewanderer wrote: March 1st, 2023, 11:47 pm
Bagels wrote: March 1st, 2023, 10:48 pm

I don't understand why the pricing on frozen potato products has gotten this high. The raw cost of potatoes is up but it isn't up THIS much.

I'm showing Wal Mart when I look the price up on a 32oz Ore Ida Crinkle at 5.28 in NV and CA. Of course the Wal Mart I was in earlier the shelf tag still had a 4.something price- their scan price integrity is so screwed up.

I took a look at Target- their website says 3.79 via "Shipt" but won't allow any frozen food for Drive Up/Pick Up. So I went to Brickseek- put in the local store for that item- shows a 5.49 price in Reno. I guess they haven't increased the price yet for "Shipt." Interesting. I also put in a Brickseek check on 90001 and that brings up many stores- I get prices ranging from 3.79, 5.49, 5.89, 5.99.
Prices probably went up faster than Target could keep up. 6 packs of White Castle burgers rose $3 overnight last year, and it took awhile before all the Targets near me had their prices in sync.

Prices are rising so fast that retailers can’t keep their shelf pricing up. An Albertsons near me still has a chalkboard advertising 3pk Romaine Hearts for $2.99 “everyday” and they haven’t been that price in years.

In a shocking twist, Ralphs has bananas “on sale” for 75c per pound this week. Albertsons is still 69c. In 2016, Ralphs and everyone else was at 39c whereas Albertsons 69c. My how things are changing.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

Bagels wrote: March 2nd, 2023, 12:04 am

Prices probably went up faster than Target could keep up. 6 packs of White Castle burgers rose $3 overnight last year, and it took awhile before all the Targets near me had their prices in sync.

Prices are rising so fast that retailers can’t keep their shelf pricing up. An Albertsons near me still has a chalkboard advertising 3pk Romaine Hearts for $2.99 “everyday” and they haven’t been that price in years.

In a shocking twist, Ralphs has bananas “on sale” for 75c per pound this week. Albertsons is still 69c. In 2016, Ralphs and everyone else was at 39c whereas Albertsons 69c. My how things are changing.
Safeway NorCal keeps up with that 3 pieces Bananas $1 and the bananas they sell seem smaller than before. At this point the majority of their bananas are around 1/3lb each. I did pick up a couple large bananas there a week or two ago- the weight was 1.2 pounds and the cost was 0.67 so that was not great but not out of line.

The price hovers between .55/lb and .60/lb at WinCo, Smiths, and Wal Mart.

Kroger is clearly exercising its muscle when it comes to price. A preview of things to come once they take Albertsons over. This merger definitely has to be stopped.
Bagels
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by Bagels »

Albertsons continues to play musical chairs with its pricing. It retracted some of the hikes on paper products: the Value Corner paper plates dropped to $3.99 before increasing to $4.49, which matches Smart Way at Ralphs (and is still overpriced). 3pk Open Nature paper towel dropped to $3.49 from $5.49. Probably nobody was buying at that price. These are low quality paper towels, not Bounty.

OTOH, prices of prepared foods swelled. Heat-and-serve entrees in the grab and go deli case are now $11.99, up from $8.99. Heat-and-serve baked potatoes two pack now $8.99, up from $6.99.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

Bagels wrote: March 26th, 2023, 10:01 pm Albertsons continues to play musical chairs with its pricing. It retracted some of the hikes on paper products: the Value Corner paper plates dropped to $3.99 before increasing to $4.49, which matches Smart Way at Ralphs (and is still overpriced). 3pk Open Nature paper towel dropped to $3.49 from $5.49. Probably nobody was buying at that price. These are low quality paper towels, not Bounty.

OTOH, prices of prepared foods swelled. Heat-and-serve entrees in the grab and go deli case are now $11.99, up from $8.99. Heat-and-serve baked potatoes two pack now $8.99, up from $6.99.
Pricing on bakery/deli items across chains has increased to unbelievable levels. At Kroger and Wal Mart where they do a lot of markdowns on these products, it is very noticeable. At stores like Raleys and Save Mart where they don't mark any bakery/deli items down, I have no clue how those departments turn a profit anymore given the amount of close dated product always out. Especially Raleys. At Safeway where they run a lot of promotions on bakery/deli, they can't keep the promotional items in stock, but I wonder how their waste is on the stuff that is not going on promotion. Well there is WinCo who hasn't increased prices much in bakery/deli and is still promotional in those departments too...
Bagels
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by Bagels »

storewanderer wrote: March 26th, 2023, 10:32 pm
Bagels wrote: March 26th, 2023, 10:01 pm Albertsons continues to play musical chairs with its pricing. It retracted some of the hikes on paper products: the Value Corner paper plates dropped to $3.99 before increasing to $4.49, which matches Smart Way at Ralphs (and is still overpriced). 3pk Open Nature paper towel dropped to $3.49 from $5.49. Probably nobody was buying at that price. These are low quality paper towels, not Bounty.

Pricing on bakery/deli items across chains has increased to unbelievable levels. At Kroger and Wal Mart where they do a lot of markdowns on these products, it is very noticeable. At stores like Raleys and Save Mart where they don't mark any bakery/deli items down, I have no clue how those departments turn a profit anymore given the amount of close dated product always out. Especially Raleys. At Safeway where they run a lot of promotions on bakery/deli, they can't keep the promotional items in stock, but I wonder how their waste is on the stuff that is not going on promotion. Well there is WinCo who hasn't increased prices much in bakery/deli and is still promotional in those departments too...
I wonder who the heck is paying these prices, and when the bubble will burst. For $8 (shelf price) Albertsons sells lasagna trays from Rana. The portion is larger and quality better than the $12 Signature Select. And for $4, you can a frozen Shepard’s Lie entree at Trader Joe’s that’s similar to its $12 SS counterpart. Not to mention, most everybody lives near a pizza / Italian food joint that will sell you takeaway meal for less (or slightly more but include soup, salad, etc). No need to bake for 60 minutes…

When I was in Ralphs shortly before closing a few weeks ago, there were at least a dozen carts filled with deli and bakery items that were headed into the trash. My local Ralphs use to deeply discount deli and baked goods but awhile I noticed a giant sign in the employee area that said “it’s long been Kroger’s policy that the maximum mark down cannot exceed 50% of the item’s shelf price.” Of course, this meant that virtually everything being marked down was only a few coins less than something fresh, given that most everything is on sale at any given time. Now I notice that only a few loafs of bread are marked down daily. They still deeply discount other merchandise - I scored a few 4pack Fusion5 cartridges for $1.99 last week.