Albertsons closing Irvine, CA

California. No non-grocery posts.
storewanderer

Albertsons closing Irvine, CA

Post by storewanderer »

3931 Irvine Blvd. Former older Lucky.

Looking at the ceiling in this store it has an exposed warehouse type ceiling. That is unusual and not something typical of Lucky Stores, except perhaps the few built with the Jewel interior that opened as Albertsons in early 2000. Layout on this closing store appears to be like a late 90's Lucky build.
rwsandiego
Store Manager
Store Manager

Re: Albertsons closing Irvine, CA

Post by rwsandiego »

Some of the pics show a drop ceiling and others show the warehouse ceiling. It looks like there a combo of some sorts. Maybe warehouse over the perimeter?

Another store, located at 3825 Alton Parkway is closing. Both are being taken over by H-Mart.
retailfanmitchell019
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by retailfanmitchell019 »

rwsandiego wrote: January 27th, 2021, 10:01 pm Some of the pics show a drop ceiling and others show the warehouse ceiling. It looks like there a combo of some sorts. Maybe warehouse over the perimeter?

Another store, located at 3825 Alton Parkway is closing. Both are being taken over by H-Mart.
A lot of Jewel stores built during this time (1999-2001) have a warehouse ceiling in the "grand aisle" (meat counter, produce, bakery, deli)and a drop ceiling in the center store.
In CA/NV: stores that got this model were built/planned as Lucky, but opened as Albertsons. Examples of this include Albertsons stores in Pleasant Hill, Concord (both sold in 2007 to Save Mart), Marina Del Rey (closed in 2015), Costa Mesa (closed last year), Ladera Ranch, Las Vegas (Silverado Ranch/Maryland).

I'm surprised to see these Irvine Albertsons stores closing. I thought these stores were profitable. However, the Irvine Blvd store has tons of competition: 2 Ralphs within 2 miles, an Indian market adjacent to the Ralphs on Jamboree, a Costco, the new Amazon Fresh, Zion Market (Korean market, former Vons with pre-Lifestyle decor), and the Pavilions they got back from Haggen.
The Alton Parkway store meanwhile, is a former Lucky with a 2004 Jewel remodel and an expansion done around that time. Very nice store. This store was a missed opportunity for Stater Bros, which doesn't have a store in Irvine yet.

What do these closures mean for the Albertsons brand in SoCal going forward?
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

retailfanmitchell019 wrote: January 28th, 2021, 5:05 pm
I'm surprised to see these Irvine Albertsons stores closing. I thought these stores were profitable. However, the Irvine Blvd store has tons of competition: 2 Ralphs within 2 miles, an Indian market adjacent to the Ralphs on Jamboree, a Costco, the new Amazon Fresh, Zion Market (Korean market, former Vons with pre-Lifestyle decor), and the Pavilions they got back from Haggen.
The Alton Parkway store meanwhile, is a former Lucky with a 2004 Jewel remodel and an expansion done around that time. Very nice store. This store was a missed opportunity for Stater Bros, which doesn't have a store in Irvine yet.

I am a little surprised to see both stores closing at once and both going to H Mart. Almost appears as if the landlord made a decision and H Mart bit on both stores. H Mart's California Stores are pretty nice though. Their OR/WA/Vancouver ones are terrible- cannot even believe it is the same chain (not even sure it is the same chain... different shelf tags/IT, noticeably higher prices, unkempt stores, $5 minimum to use a credit card, etc.).

The stores probably performed just fine... but the landlord opted to go with H Mart instead of Albertsons going forward.

I am curious can the area support two H Mart Stores that close together?
Bagels
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by Bagels »

All of Albertsons’ locations in Irvine are in Irvine Company shopping centers. There’s an H-Mart at Alton/Jamboree, about 1.5 miles from the Albertsons off Alton. It’s always insanely busy, and probably promoted the chain to expand to these two locations.

In 2015, Albertsons kept the store off Irvine/Culver and sold the Pavilions a mile up Culver to Hagen. I’ve been in it numerous time and business always seems to be slow. I’m not surprised to see it go.

The store off Alton really surprised me though. Well, kinda. Given the number of apartments and homes nearby, business could be better. But there’s an existing H Mart 1.5 miles up Alton, and unlike that area, it’s predominately a white area. So there will be 3 H-Marts, a 99 Ranch and a Zion within a two mile radius.

I bet the Albertsons in Quail Hill will close one sooner than later, with just the Pavilions and Albertsons at Jeffrey/5 remaining. Sad.
Bagels
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by Bagels »

retailfanmitchell019 wrote: January 28th, 2021, 5:05 pm
rwsandiego wrote: January 27th, 2021, 10:01 pm Some of the pics show a drop ceiling and others show the warehouse ceiling. It looks like there a combo of some sorts. Maybe warehouse over the perimeter?

A lot of Jewel stores built during this time (1999-2001) have a warehouse ceiling in the "grand aisle" (meat counter, produce, bakery, deli)and a drop ceiling in the center store.
In CA/NV: stores that got this model were built/planned as Lucky, but opened as Albertsons. Examples of this include Albertsons stores in Pleasant Hill, Concord (both sold in 2007 to Save Mart), Marina Del Rey (closed in 2015), Costa Mesa (closed last year), Ladera Ranch, Las Vegas (Silverado Ranch/Maryland).

The Zion is an ex-Hughes/Ralph’s. Zion remodeled it, but the interior is really rough looking - easily the worst store I’ve ever been in.

Sadly, the Alton/Culver Albertsons suffered when Sprouts opened a few doors down, and never recovered.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

Bagels wrote: January 28th, 2021, 10:39 pm
The Zion is an ex-Hughes/Ralph’s. Zion remodeled it, but the interior is really rough looking - easily the worst store I’ve ever been in.

Sadly, the Alton/Culver Albertsons suffered when Sprouts opened a few doors down, and never recovered.
Zion definitely has the pre-Lifestyle Vons interior. Probably the only reason it has the yellow paint is because there were shadow texts that said Vons all over the place but they sure could have picked a better color. And not to go too far off topic here but I see Zion has digital shelf tags.

Not surprised Vons failed in Irvine given all the competition and given Vons in the 00's and Safeway in general in that period really rolled over a lot when they got hit with a lot of competition. Interesting Albertsons managed to outlast them.

Does Irvine Companies own the Albertsons Distribution Center real estate in Irvine too? Maybe Albertsons got to have a lot of stores in Irvine due to having the distro center there. I am not really convinced Albertsons wanted to lose these two stores... I think the decision may have been out of their hands. I think the landlord made a decision to transfer the stores to another operator...
Bagels
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by Bagels »

storewanderer wrote: January 29th, 2021, 12:16 am Zion definitely has the pre-Lifestyle Vons interior. Probably the only reason it has the yellow paint is because there were shadow texts that said Vons all over the place but they sure could have picked a better color. And not to go too far off topic here but I see Zion has digital shelf tags.

Not surprised Vons failed in Irvine given all the competition and given Vons in the 00's and Safeway in general in that period really rolled over a lot when they got hit with a lot of competition. Interesting Albertsons managed to outlast them.

Does Irvine Companies own the Albertsons Distribution Center real estate in Irvine too? Maybe Albertsons got to have a lot of stores in Irvine due to having the distro center there. I am not really convinced Albertsons wanted to lose these two stores... I think the decision may have been out of their hands. I think the landlord made a decision to transfer the stores to another operator...
My bad; there's two Zion Markets -- that one is indeed a former Vons. It closed 15 years ago, when the Pavilions replaced it. The other Zion Market also features digital price tags and is an ex-Ralphs/Hughes. It was briefly closed for remodeling, but all they did was add a food hall -- the rest of the store looks completely trashed, easily one of the most disgusting I've ever been into.

Albertsons owned the Irvine distribution center, but did a sale & leaseback not that long ago. Its large presence in Irvine largely derives from (Lucky) investing in new stores as the city grew, and the Master Plan which for years limited competition. All of Albertsons' stores are built in Irvine's distinct neighborhoods, and I doubt there's much cross traffic between these neighborhoods. For example, the store at Jeffrey/5 is surrounded by single-family homes, whereas the Alton/Culver location (2.5 miles away) is surrounded by apartment communities. Alton/Culver is largely a white area, whereas Alton/Irvine Center Drive - a mile up the road - is predominantly Asian (there's a 99 Ranch and other specialty stores serving that neighborhood). Quail Hill is only a few miles from the Alton/Culver location, but the shopping center isn't easy to get into (unless you live in Quail Hill) and you'll drive past a Ralphs. The closure isn't going to grow its foot traffic.

There's been in surge in grocers the past several years (H-Mart, two new Walmart Supercenters, a Whole Foods, expanded grocery selection at several Targets, Sea Food City, etc.). The increased competition, changing demographics and changing shopping habits (I'd bet the Costco at 5/Alton does more business in one year than all of the Albertsons' combined do in multiple years) liked doomed these stores. That said, I doubt Albertsons wanted to lose the Alton/Culver location -- when I visited this past fall, it had measure markers throughout the store, which is something Albertsons does before it renovates. Too bad.
retailfanmitchell019
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by retailfanmitchell019 »

Bagels wrote: January 28th, 2021, 10:13 pm I bet the Albertsons in Quail Hill will close one sooner than later, with just the Pavilions and Albertsons at Jeffrey/5 remaining. Sad.
You forgot about the store near UCI: an original Albertsons from the late 70's that has been remodeled several times. This store does pretty good business.
The Quail Hill Albertsons is the only store around for a couple miles. It will definitely stay open. However, the parking lot is hard to get into. This store still has its original Jewel interior, a very nice one at that. I hope they don't remodel this store.
However, as storewanderer mentioned, this could be the landlord's decision.
Bagels
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by Bagels »

retailfanmitchell019 wrote: January 29th, 2021, 10:31 am
Bagels wrote: January 28th, 2021, 10:13 pm I bet the Albertsons in Quail Hill will close one sooner than later, with just the Pavilions and Albertsons at Jeffrey/5 remaining. Sad.
You forgot about the store near UCI: an original Albertsons from the late 70's that has been remodeled several times. This store does pretty good business.
The Quail Hill Albertsons is the only store around for a couple miles. It will definitely stay open. However, the parking lot is hard to get into. This store still has its original Jewel interior, a very nice one at that. I hope they don't remodel this store.
However, as storewanderer mentioned, this could be the landlord's decision.
You’re right, I thought about the UCI Albertsons after I posted. Pre-COVID, that store was notoriously busy. It’s one of the few Albertsons that stayed open late, and it featured a hot food bar, prepared foods and packaged meals that are typically found only at the Pavilions banner. The store also recently received a Colorful Lifestyles remodel, although they didn’t do much but change much other than change the signage.

That said, it’s another Irvine Company shopping center. At the beginning of the month, the adjacent Gina’s Pizza closed its doors —- who would’ve thought that? Ultimately it wouldn’t shock me to see this converted into an Asian supermarket.

Regarding Quail Hill - we shop there pretty regularly. It’s obvious business is poor; the store doesn’t even carry the full-line deli and bakery product. The Alton store that’s closing featured pallets of sale items, whereas this location maintains regular stock. The saving grace may be that if it were to shutter, it’d be difficult to find a replacement tenant at the moment.