Albertsons closing Irvine, CA

California. No non-grocery posts.
ClownLoach
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Re: Albertsons closing Irvine, CA

Post by ClownLoach »

Bagels wrote: May 16th, 2022, 3:35 pm IC lists Westpark (Alton) as opening summer 2022:
https://www.shopirvinecompany.com/cente ... aza/h-mart

and Northpark (Irvine) as opening late summer 2022:
It's going to take world record speed construction for that schedule unless they're opening with zero remodel. And if there is one thing that doesn't happen in Irvine it's fast construction. Irvine City Hall is a nightmare to work with and the Orange County Fire Authority is even worse. I had an already built, vacant and never occupied empty box to open that literally only needed lights to be hung, a floor to go in, gondolas and cabinet/counter install and it opened six months late due to these guys and that was well before COVID. You have never seen building inspectors like Irvine and OCFA, especially if they show up at the same time and gang up on you - it doesn't matter what they already approved for building they'll still make you rip it right out and change it if they don't like it. This was where I was surprised by IC themselves because they actually stood up and advocated on our behalf to the city to stop the BS and let us open our store - any other landlord would just pile on with the city. They wanted us to be able to open, operate, and of course pay rent.
veteran+
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by veteran+ »

ClownLoach wrote: May 17th, 2022, 1:35 pm
Bagels wrote: May 16th, 2022, 3:35 pm IC lists Westpark (Alton) as opening summer 2022:

It's going to take world record speed construction for that schedule unless they're opening with zero remodel. And if there is one thing that doesn't happen in Irvine it's fast construction. Irvine City Hall is a nightmare to work with and the Orange County Fire Authority is even worse. I had an already built, vacant and never occupied empty box to open that literally only needed lights to be hung, a floor to go in, gondolas and cabinet/counter install and it opened six months late due to these guys and that was well before COVID. You have never seen building inspectors like Irvine and OCFA, especially if they show up at the same time and gang up on you - it doesn't matter what they already approved for building they'll still make you rip it right out and change it if they don't like it. This was where I was surprised by IC themselves because they actually stood up and advocated on our behalf to the city to stop the BS and let us open our store - any other landlord would just pile on with the city. They wanted us to be able to open, operate, and of course pay rent.
Interesting!

I would think that "conservative" Orange County would be a walk in the park comparing to L.A. County.

:lol: :lol:
ClownLoach
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by ClownLoach »

veteran+ wrote: May 17th, 2022, 3:43 pm
ClownLoach wrote: May 17th, 2022, 1:35 pm

Interesting!

I would think that "conservative" Orange County would be a walk in the park comparing to L.A. County.

There is nothing "conservative" about their building code enforcement and inspection process. That is why OC looks the way it does versus the mess that is LA. They will not let you do "whatever you want" with your property - and again even if they approve your plans and you build to them - if they don't like it when it's done they'll make you redo it.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

veteran+ wrote: May 17th, 2022, 3:43 pm

I used to this this was how it worked too. And I think it is how it used to work. The Conservatives were pro business and would approve anything, at warp speed. But that isn't how it seems to work in the real world anymore. The Liberal side seems to approve anything, make it as dense as possible, for maximum tax revenue generation to help fund pet projects and gain more political power (via census seats and similar) for their area. Also to help politically connected developers make out like bandits (who were probably all Conservatives in the 90's). This is why you have such screwed up large cities with infrastructure falling apart and not able to support the population as it was not designed to support the amount of population that developments were approved to house. Meanwhile the sprawling less dense "Conservative" suburbs have better roads, laid out better, etc.
HCal
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by HCal »

storewanderer wrote: May 17th, 2022, 7:16 pm I used to this this was how it worked too. And I think it is how it used to work. The Conservatives were pro business and would approve anything, at warp speed. But that isn't how it seems to work in the real world anymore. The Liberal side seems to approve anything, make it as dense as possible, for maximum tax revenue generation to help fund pet projects and gain more political power (via census seats and similar) for their area. Also to help politically connected developers make out like bandits (who were probably all Conservatives in the 90's). This is why you have such screwed up large cities with infrastructure falling apart and not able to support the population as it was not designed to support the amount of population that developments were approved to house. Meanwhile the sprawling less dense "Conservative" suburbs have better roads, laid out better, etc.
I think the main reason is that liberals recognize the affordability crisis and want to increase the supply of housing, retail and office space in order to bring down costs, at least in California.

Also, I think that liberals these days tend to be more free-market oriented, while conservatives are more okay with government telling people what they can do on their land.

But we're getting political here, I don't know if that's allowed on this forum, so I'll stop there.
veteran+
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by veteran+ »

My apologies for even mentioning "conservative" ANYTHING.

Mea culpa........ :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:
Bagels
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by Bagels »

The H-Mary off of Alton/Culver is now open. There was not a single open parking spot in the entire plaza (and it’s a huge plaza), and a line stretched around the building - probably about a half mile. It was crazy!

If there’s any question as to the future of Irvine, Ralphs and Albertsons were unusually dead…
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

Bagels wrote: August 14th, 2022, 10:22 pm The H-Mary off of Alton/Culver is now open. There was not a single open parking spot in the entire plaza (and it’s a huge plaza), and a line stretched around the building - probably about a half mile. It was crazy!

If there’s any question as to the future of Irvine, Ralphs and Albertsons were unusually dead…
How was traffic at the other nearby H-Mart at 2600 Alton?
Bagels
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by Bagels »

storewanderer wrote: August 15th, 2022, 6:47 pm
Bagels wrote: August 14th, 2022, 10:22 pm The H-Mary off of Alton/Culver is now open. There was not a single open parking spot in the entire plaza (and it’s a huge plaza), and a line stretched around the building - probably about a half mile. It was crazy!

How was traffic at the other nearby H-Mart at 2600 Alton?
It was very busy as well! So much for concerns that three stores is too much for the area...
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

Bagels wrote: August 18th, 2022, 8:01 pm

It was very busy as well! So much for concerns that three stores is too much for the area...
Let's see how things settle. I guess I don't have much confidence in H-Mart.

Until I messed with those weird Pacific Northwest and then Vancouver, BC H-Marts that seem to be fake H-Marts because they are run quite oddly and not even on the official company website, I had a fairly positive impression of the chain...