NW Grocers and Winter 2021 Storm(s)

Alaska, Colorado, Idaho, Montana, Oregon, Utah, Washington, and Wyoming. No non-grocery posts.
SamSpade
Store Manager
Store Manager

NW Grocers and Winter 2021 Storm(s)

Post by SamSpade »

I haven't seen stock issues in the Portland area, but I've mainly been on the westside suburbs where there was more freezing rain and a faster warm up than in town or near the Columbia River Gorge.

Speaking of the Columbia River Gorge, Albertsons Co's is in a pickle - their Troutdale, Ore. Safeway store's roof collapsed... and in the front portion of the store.
Multnomah County Sheriff's Office: Safeway
kr.abs.swy
Personnel Manager
Personnel Manager

Re: NW Grocers and Winter 2021 Storm(s)

Post by kr.abs.swy »

I'm about 90 minutes outside of Portland. There were some empty shelves in the produce and dairy sections of Safeway today. Nothing dramatic, but definitely some out-of-stocks. They said they had missed a delivery due to weather/road conditions in Portland.
veteran+
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by veteran+ »

SamSpade wrote: February 15th, 2021, 1:34 pm I haven't seen stock issues in the Portland area, but I've mainly been on the westside suburbs where there was more freezing rain and a faster warm up than in town or near the Columbia River Gorge.

Speaking of the Columbia River Gorge, Albertsons Co's is in a pickle - their Troutdale, Ore. Safeway store's roof collapsed... and in the front portion of the store.
Multnomah County Sheriff's Office: Safeway

I wonder if store management was performing their monthly (visual) roof check? (debris, drainage, etc.)
Super S

Post by Super S »

Several other businesses in the Portland area had roof collapses, including a Les Schwab Tire Center and an Old Navy store.

As for out of stocks, there has been no particular pattern, but I made a big trip right before the snow hit.

Veering away from grocery, there are shortages on things at auto parts stores such as tire chains and antifreeze. And some gas stations south of Portland have been running out of gas and there have been long lines at some stations, people are also buying gas for generators etc.

The southern part of Portland was also hit by freezing rain, there was an inch of the stuff on top of snow in some areas, resulting in huge numbers of power outages.

We will likely see out of stocks for at least a week as Interstate 84 was completely closed for a bit and trucks could not make deliveries.
pseudo3d

Post by pseudo3d »

It goes way beyond the Northwest, Texas has been hit hard by winter storms and grocery stores have closed up entirely.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

veteran+ wrote: February 16th, 2021, 7:12 am

I wonder if store management was performing their monthly (visual) roof check? (debris, drainage, etc.)
I'm sure the insurance company will ask that question. Looks like the store had a recent remodel to the colorful lifestyle too and I see real new looking self checkouts installed so expect some people were in the ceiling to make that install happen and get cameras placed, etc.

About 14 years ago on an owned Safeway building in Sparks, NV this happened. The store simply never reopened. Safeway sold the building. Across the street from there in that same storm the same thing happened to a Longs building. Longs repaired its building, remodeled the store, and reopened (only to be closed in the CVS merger shortly thereafter). That was 1 of 2 stores Longs did a remodel on up here in the Reno market.
Super S

Post by Super S »

storewanderer wrote: February 16th, 2021, 5:39 pm

I'm sure the insurance company will ask that question. Looks like the store had a recent remodel to the colorful lifestyle too and I see real new looking self checkouts installed so expect some people were in the ceiling to make that install happen and get cameras placed, etc.

About 14 years ago on an owned Safeway building in Sparks, NV this happened. The store simply never reopened. Safeway sold the building. Across the street from there in that same storm the same thing happened to a Longs building. Longs repaired its building, remodeled the store, and reopened (only to be closed in the CVS merger shortly thereafter). That was 1 of 2 stores Longs did a remodel on up here in the Reno market.
Having people above the ceiling installing cameras has nothing to do with an unusual amount of snow placing an excessive load on a roof...this is a very unusual event for this time of year, and some areas also got freezing rain on top of the snow which did not help. Portland in particular does not handle winter weather very well.
babs
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by babs »

Super S wrote: February 17th, 2021, 8:33 am
storewanderer wrote: February 16th, 2021, 5:39 pm

Having people above the ceiling installing cameras has nothing to do with an unusual amount of snow placing an excessive load on a roof...this is a very unusual event for this time of year, and some areas also got freezing rain on top of the snow which did not help. Portland in particular does not handle winter weather very well.
When I worked at Target years ago, the manager and three of us climbed up on the roof after he noticed water dripping from the ceiling inside. Turns out the drains were clogged. The rain combined with the melting snow could ha e caused the roof to collapse. It was crazy walking around the roof in the dark in knee deep water with our pants rolled up looking for all the drains. But we saved the store!
bryceleinan
Personnel Manager
Personnel Manager

Post by bryceleinan »

Sounds like Fred Meyer is getting hit particularly hard by this one - some of my family members in Newberg were lamenting the fact that there is a gas shortage and Freddy's is running out pretty quick. I also heard the truck stops in Donald / Aurora were out of gas and diesel too.
babs
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by babs »

bryceleinan wrote: February 17th, 2021, 6:41 pm Sounds like Fred Meyer is getting hit particularly hard by this one - some of my family members in Newberg were lamenting the fact that there is a gas shortage and Freddy's is running out pretty quick. I also heard the truck stops in Donald / Aurora were out of gas and diesel too.
That's because most of the mid valley including Salem is dark so they are driving to the nearest gas station that's open. There's no shortage, just the results of a bad blackout.