Target 2021

Predicting the demise of Sears & Kmart since 2017!
storewanderer

Re: Target 2021

Post by storewanderer »

Romr123 wrote: April 24th, 2021, 1:08 pm That's part and parcel of the franchise business--charge for the concept (which includes branding, the confidential operations manual/COM, supply arrangements, etc) and to the extent possible ancillary services (real estate, planning, architecture, etc etc). Joe Franchisee has to pay for both. Target (WalMart, truck stops, college campuses, airports, etc) don't need help with the ancillary services--they've got staff and a building; the franchisor adapts their normal "concept" and slims it down for the "experienced" operator dealing with "express" locations. Yum Brands has KFC/Taco Bell/Pizza Hut/Habit; and probably wouldn't be too bothered if Target suddenly thought that they might like to convert 50 Pizza Huts to 50 KFC Expresses...but that's probably not in the cards.
You raise an interesting proposition there- I think they could sell a higher volume of food in certain locations with KFC Express. However, KFC franchisees have quite strong territory agreements. They have stronger territory agreements than the other YUM brand franchisees have. I am not sure that would be allowed.
babs
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by babs »

storewanderer wrote: April 25th, 2021, 12:25 pm
Romr123 wrote: April 24th, 2021, 1:08 pm That's part and parcel of the franchise business--charge for the concept (which includes branding, the confidential operations manual/COM, supply arrangements, etc) and to the extent possible ancillary services (real estate, planning, architecture, etc etc). Joe Franchisee has to pay for both. Target (WalMart, truck stops, college campuses, airports, etc) don't need help with the ancillary services--they've got staff and a building; the franchisor adapts their normal "concept" and slims it down for the "experienced" operator dealing with "express" locations. Yum Brands has KFC/Taco Bell/Pizza Hut/Habit; and probably wouldn't be too bothered if Target suddenly thought that they might like to convert 50 Pizza Huts to 50 KFC Expresses...but that's probably not in the cards.
You raise an interesting proposition there- I think they could sell a higher volume of food in certain locations with KFC Express. However, KFC franchisees have quite strong territory agreements. They have stronger territory agreements than the other YUM brand franchisees have. I am not sure that would be allowed.
I'm sure the scent of fried chicken at Target wouldn't be good for business.

Pizza Hut at Target isn't a franchise agreement. It's just a license agreement. Ditto with Starbucks. In every other case I am aware of, the store leases space to a franchisee and just collects rent. This is what Walmart does with McDonald's, Subway, and everyone else.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

babs wrote: April 25th, 2021, 6:19 pm I'm sure the scent of fried chicken at Target wouldn't be good for business.

Pizza Hut at Target isn't a franchise agreement. It's just a license agreement. Ditto with Starbucks. In every other case I am aware of, the store leases space to a franchisee and just collects rent. This is what Walmart does with McDonald's, Subway, and everyone else.
Target smelled like popcorn for years and some Target locations still smell like popcorn. Given these food outlets are often on an exterior-facing wall space, maybe they could just install some vents that would vent outside.

Not to go too off topic here but typically I do not recall KFC locations smelling too bad when I walk into them. I haven't been into one in over a year so I don't have any current examples to cite. However one chain where the locations do routinely seem to smell pretty awful when you walk in is McDonalds.
babs
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by babs »

storewanderer wrote: April 25th, 2021, 9:36 pm
babs wrote: April 25th, 2021, 6:19 pm I'm sure the scent of fried chicken at Target wouldn't be good for business.

Target smelled like popcorn for years and some Target locations still smell like popcorn. Given these food outlets are often on an exterior-facing wall space, maybe they could just install some vents that would vent outside.

Not to go too off topic here but typically I do not recall KFC locations smelling too bad when I walk into them. I haven't been into one in over a year so I don't have any current examples to cite. However one chain where the locations do routinely seem to smell pretty awful when you walk in is McDonalds.
Maybe it's my sense of smell but I can pick up the odor of a KFC blocks away.

I vividly remember.the odor of popcorn from my days at Target. The coffee smell is so much better.
jamcool
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by jamcool »

Just like Sears had the odor of roasted nuts and popcorn. They went downhill when they shut down the candy counter.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

babs wrote: April 25th, 2021, 10:17 pm Maybe it's my sense of smell but I can pick up the odor of a KFC blocks away.

I vividly remember.the odor of popcorn from my days at Target. The coffee smell is so much better.
Sounds like an issue with KFCs in the Pacific Northwest... no odor emitting from KFCs in CA/NV.

Speaking of chicken- I went into a Popeyes there in Aloha, OR. The chicken was the best Popeyes I've ever had. Price was like $3 higher for the 2 piece meal than back here in NV but the piece size was bigger and the quality was exceptional. Interesting building there, seemed like a former Taco Time.
Romr123
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by Romr123 »

In the 80s I visited every corporately-owned KFC multiple times (I was a mystery shopper for KFC Corporation---15 restaurants a day...). Only time the stores smelt bad was when they overheated the shortening (acrolein is NOT your friend!). They had pretty good fume hoods, and pressure frying reduced significantly the oxidization of the shortening).
Super S

Post by Super S »

storewanderer wrote: April 25th, 2021, 11:16 pm
babs wrote: April 25th, 2021, 10:17 pm Maybe it's my sense of smell but I can pick up the odor of a KFC blocks away.

Sounds like an issue with KFCs in the Pacific Northwest... no odor emitting from KFCs in CA/NV.
I don't notice weird smells INSIDE. As for the outside, the only thing I have noticed is the occasional smell of the chicken as it's cooking, which doesn't bother me. I sometimes notice the smell of burgers cooking at Burger King when passing by one also.
The only smell that actually ever bothered me was the smell of burned caramel popcorn at a local shop inside the long-gone indoor Triangle Mall in Longview. That smell lingered in there for YEARS.

As for Target, Starbucks really doesn't generate many smells. I do remember years ago that Target would not sell a certain color of ICEEs in the snack bar, I don't remember if it was red or blue, because of the chance it could stain the carpeting in the apparel area which was gray at the time. Not sure if Target still has that rule or not.
Alpha8472

Post by Alpha8472 »

Target is selling a Red, White, and Boom Icee right now.

I tried to shop at Target right before 10 PM today, and the doors were locked. All of the Target stores seem to close at 10 PM now. They were open until 11 or 12 a while back.

Walmart is open from 7 to 11 PM. However, they will open 6 AM to 11 PM starting Saturday July 3.

No stores seem to want to be open that late anymore. Before the pandemic these 2 stores used to be open until midnight.

What is going on with Target these days. I have found that they are out of stock on so many common items. Do they have some kind of labor shortage? I see many employees standing around, but the shelves have empty spaces.
babs
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by babs »

Alpha8472 wrote: July 2nd, 2021, 4:02 am Target is selling a Red, White, and Boom Icee right now.

I tried to shop at Target right before 10 PM today, and the doors were locked. All of the Target stores seem to close at 10 PM now. They were open until 11 or 12 a while back.

Walmart is open from 7 to 11 PM. However, they will open 6 AM to 11 PM starting Saturday July 3.

No stores seem to want to be open that late anymore. Before the pandemic these 2 stores used to be open until midnight.

What is going on with Target these days. I have found that they are out of stock on so many common items. Do they have some kind of labor shortage? I see many employees standing around, but the shelves have empty spaces.
Depends on what's out of stock. Target does seem to struggle with keeping food in stock. As for other items, all stores are struggling with products made.in China. I don't expect that to improve until perhaps after Chinese New Year.