H-E-B to enter DFW market proper with Plano, Frisco stores

Arizona, Hawaii, Nevada, New Mexico, Oklahoma, and Texas. No non-grocery posts.
storewanderer

Re: H-E-B to enter DFW market proper with Plano, Frisco stores

Post by storewanderer »

storewanderer wrote: May 17th, 2022, 7:40 pm

I will take a look here in Reno but I wonder if there is a temporary issue where they did a short term shipment of product from Texas to California.

Took a look in Reno tonight. Seems to be the usual WinCo produce. Department didn't seem stocked very well though. Nothing interesting or from Texas. Various fruits from Mexico (lime, mango, berries). Had a small assortment of soft summer stone fruit all from California, must have just come in since most stores don't have any yet (looking at Sprouts and Smiths there...). Various vegetables from California (Corn from Holtville, the 3151 large beefsteak type tomatoes from somewhere in SoCal, cluster tomatoes from California), some others from Mexico (avocado). Took a look at the mushroom display- some generic label- those were all (both prepack and bulk) Product of Canada.
jamcool
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by jamcool »

Winco does have a warehouse in West Phoenix, which probably supplies SoCal stores as well. And they haven’t added any new stores in Phoenix (the proposed sight in Goodyear is still empty)
DFWRetaileWatcher
Cashier
Cashier

Post by DFWRetaileWatcher »

Greggo wrote: May 17th, 2022, 2:46 pm Still curious what the plans are for the old Albertsons in the Red Bird area. I’m guess Joe V’s or Mi Tienda. I think putting in a “regular” H‑E‑B in a spot that small would cause an uproar, with people shouting about the disparities (features vs lack of features) between the new stores and this store.

Another option: They could buy out the rest of the center, demolish it and expand the Albertsons building. H‑E‑B has done that with a couple stores here in Austin lately. One (183 and Braker) grew by around 40,000 square feet. It’s not done quite yet but the difference is dramatic.

A poster on Reddit claims construction has started. Can anyone in Dallas confirm?
Below is the construction bid for the Redbird store:

https://www.construction.com/projects/d ... cery-store
biggins
Stock Clerk
Stock Clerk

Post by biggins »

I've been waiting for this one for awhile. H-E-B buying 12 acres in Rockwall off of John King Blvd. and I-30 for new store. This would be a store that would draw from the NE Dallas metro, including Garland, Rowlett and Wylie. There is also mention of a 20 acre parcel in Prosper off of the DNT that would serve the fast growing areas north of US 380.

https://www.star-telegram.com/news/busi ... 77812.html
veteran+
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by veteran+ »

biggins wrote: August 1st, 2022, 7:00 am I've been waiting for this one for awhile. H-E-B buying 12 acres in Rockwall off of John King Blvd. and I-30 for new store. This would be a store that would draw from the NE Dallas metro, including Garland, Rowlett and Wylie. There is also mention of a 20 acre parcel in Prosper off of the DNT that would serve the fast growing areas north of US 380.

https://www.star-telegram.com/news/busi ... 77812.html
Soooooooooooooo jealous!
ClownLoach
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by ClownLoach »

storewanderer wrote: May 17th, 2022, 11:33 pm
storewanderer wrote: May 17th, 2022, 7:40 pm

I will take a look here in Reno but I wonder if there is a temporary issue where they did a short term shipment of product from Texas to California.

Took a look in Reno tonight. Seems to be the usual WinCo produce. Department didn't seem stocked very well though. Nothing interesting or from Texas. Various fruits from Mexico (lime, mango, berries). Had a small assortment of soft summer stone fruit all from California, must have just come in since most stores don't have any yet (looking at Sprouts and Smiths there...). Various vegetables from California (Corn from Holtville, the 3151 large beefsteak type tomatoes from somewhere in SoCal, cluster tomatoes from California), some others from Mexico (avocado). Took a look at the mushroom display- some generic label- those were all (both prepack and bulk) Product of Canada.
I was in the Winco in Temecula last week and I did not see any Texas labeled produce, so I'm guessing it was a short term problem.
pseudo3d

Post by pseudo3d »

Tom Thumb will be building another store in Frisco at Coit and Eldorado, two miles west of where H-E-B is to go in. It's still going be 58,000 square feet, about half of what H-E-B is going to be. With all the price increases at Albertsons, I'd hope they at least try to be a bit more creative to try to compete closer to who's a threat in the market.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

pseudo3d wrote: September 1st, 2022, 9:34 pm Tom Thumb will be building another store in Frisco at Coit and Eldorado, two miles west of where H-E-B is to go in. It's still going be 58,000 square feet, about half of what H-E-B is going to be. With all the price increases at Albertsons, I'd hope they at least try to be a bit more creative to try to compete closer to who's a threat in the market.
Questionable why Tom Thumb is even bothering. Maybe they do not expect HEB to actually open anytime soon?

Has HEB started construction or anything?

58k square feet is back to a standard Safeway prototype size. This is smaller than recent NorCal Division openings (closer to 65k). Given they are sectioning off space for a Drive Up and Go staging area, about 4k square feet, that leaves that much less space for the store. Also given stores in Texas tend to skew larger in the first place, I am not sure why they are going so small...
architect
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by architect »

HEB just announced that their upcoming Frisco store will open on September 21st, with online pickup opening a couple of days prior:

https://www.dallasnews.com/business/ret ... n-sept-21/
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

architect wrote: September 6th, 2022, 10:36 am HEB just announced that their upcoming Frisco store will open on September 21st, with online pickup opening a couple of days prior:

https://www.dallasnews.com/business/ret ... n-sept-21/
I guess Tom Thumb thinks they can pick off a few customers. Funny to see them trying to put down a claim after HEB opens. I guess that is one way to do it- open after the strong competitor, vs. opening first and doing well initially, then when the strong competitor opens letting them slaughter you.