Thrifty Rite Aid Branded Stores

buckguy
Store Manager
Store Manager

Re: Thrifty Rite Aid Branded Stores

Post by buckguy »

babs wrote: April 27th, 2021, 12:35 pm
BillyGr wrote: April 27th, 2021, 11:36 am
Super S wrote: April 27th, 2021, 9:33 am I sometimes wonder how well the Thrifty ice cream would sell if supermarkets carried it. While there are great regional brands (such as Tillamook and Umpqua locally) their price point is high, especially when Tillamook recently shrunk their container size but kept pricing the same. Rite Aid isn't exactly a store I think about for ice cream, especially when stores like WinCo are in close proximity.
Tillamook is fairly wide spread - at least one chain here in NY has it, and just looking quickly it looked to be linked to both Walmart and Target websites.
Tillamook is now a billion dollar brand sold nationally. It's not a regional brand anymore. They've taken a lot of market share from Kraft.in the cheese aisle and others elsewhere.
They seem to be taking shelf space away from Cabot rather than Kraft. Giant-Landover seems to have gone all in with them, but not Whole Foods (which carries Cabot, too).
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

buckguy wrote: February 13th, 2022, 6:23 am
BillyGr wrote: April 27th, 2021, 11:36 am

Tillamook is fairly wide spread - at least one chain here in NY has it, and just looking quickly it looked to be linked to both Walmart and Target websites.
Tillamook is now a billion dollar brand sold nationally. It's not a regional brand anymore. They've taken a lot of market share from Kraft.in the cheese aisle and others elsewhere.
They seem to be taking shelf space away from Cabot rather than Kraft. Giant-Landover seems to have gone all in with them, but not Whole Foods (which carries Cabot, too).
Target just did a reset on cheese in Reno and they cut all of the Kraft Shredded SKUs but kept all of the Tillamook and all of the Market Pantry. Also I have been seeing SKU expansion on the Tillamook at Safeway, Save Mart, and Raleys. For instance Raley's ONE when they "brought back items" brought back all of the Tillamook SKUs they could find but didn't bring back one Kraft SKU.

Kraft seems to be losing serious share in cheese, as they should, their shredded cheese is worse than most private labels. Overly salty and strange oily melt.
buckguy
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by buckguy »

storewanderer wrote: February 13th, 2022, 10:15 am

Target just did a reset on cheese in Reno and they cut all of the Kraft Shredded SKUs but kept all of the Tillamook and all of the Market Pantry. Also I have been seeing SKU expansion on the Tillamook at Safeway, Save Mart, and Raleys. For instance Raley's ONE when they "brought back items" brought back all of the Tillamook SKUs they could find but didn't bring back one Kraft SKU.

Kraft seems to be losing serious share in cheese, as they should, their shredded cheese is worse than most private labels. Overly salty and strange oily melt.
It actually makes sense for Target to do this. I've always figured that they should have done groceries with a combo of discounted higher end brands and their own house brand as the low cost option. That kind of thing would distinguish them better from their competition nd would fit the image they try to create in other lines. As for Tillamook, they and Cabot have a similar niche and Cabot has the most to lose.
arizonaguy
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by arizonaguy »

storewanderer wrote: February 13th, 2022, 10:15 am

I've exclusively bought private label / Tillamook shredded cheese for years. I agree completely it's a category where the private labels and Tillamook are far superior to Kraft.