Amazon Fresh: Just Walk Out

This is the place for general and miscellaneous posts on topics which might extend past the boundaries of any specific region. No non-grocery posts.
CalItalian
Store Manager
Store Manager

Re: Amazon Fresh: Just Walk Out

Post by CalItalian »

3 new stores finally with opening dates in Southern California.
https://www.supermarketnews.com/retail- ... california
3 more coming soon to SoCal
https://patch.com/california/murrieta/a ... -announces
Opening day in Mission Viejo had hundreds of people in line
https://patch.com/california/missionvie ... long-lines
jamcool
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by jamcool »

I imagine there will be a lot of “walking out”-and it won’t be Amazon members!
Alpha8472

Post by Alpha8472 »

There are lots of new stores in Southern California, but I do not see any in the high theft San Francisco Bay Area.

I want to see Just Walk Out in its full glory in San Francisco or Oakland. It will be all over the news. Then the store will be overrun by shoplifters and set on fire as the news crews are doing a report. I want to see how Amazon will try to spin the news. Wall Street will see it as a disaster and finally go quiet about all this automation in the future.
Last edited by Alpha8472 on April 23rd, 2022, 10:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
veteran+
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by veteran+ »

Gee wiz.......

😢
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

Alpha8472 wrote: April 23rd, 2022, 2:48 am There are lots of new stores in Southern California, but I do not see any in the high theft San Francisco Bay Area.

I want to see Just Walk Out in its full glory in San Francisco or Oakland. It will be all over the news. Then the store will be overrun by shoplifters and set on fire as the news crews are doing a report. I want to see how Amazon will try to spin the news. Wall Street will see it as a disaster and finally go quiet about all this automation in the future.
It is interesting they have not opened in NorCal yet. They have a site in Roseville with active construction for a while. There have been other sites announced as well.

I think they should absolutely open right up in the bay area with "just walk out" technology and see how that works out for them. The bay area seems to have become far more dangerous for retailers than much of southern California at this point though. And central California is barely a blip on the radar screen for the security/shrink areas of retailers at this point given how things have exploded so badly in specifically the bay area.
ClownLoach
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by ClownLoach »

Considering you can't get in without your credit card linked I am not sure how this will be a shoplifting disaster. It is operationally a disappointment when you consider that nobody can give you a running total even when you've left already.

I really wonder why Amazon never made an all RFID grocery store. In theory it would work the same way and be much more accurate and timely vs. the current problem of no receipt for hours after the shop.
lake52
Cashier
Cashier

Post by lake52 »

storewanderer wrote: April 23rd, 2022, 5:58 pm
Alpha8472 wrote: April 23rd, 2022, 2:48 am There are lots of new stores in Southern California, but I do not see any in the high theft San Francisco Bay Area.

It is interesting they have not opened in NorCal yet. They have a site in Roseville with active construction for a while. There have been other sites announced as well.

I think they should absolutely open right up in the bay area with "just walk out" technology and see how that works out for them. The bay area seems to have become far more dangerous for retailers than much of southern California at this point though. And central California is barely a blip on the radar screen for the security/shrink areas of retailers at this point given how things have exploded so badly in specifically the bay area.
There are 4 Amazon Go stores utilizing “Just walk out” technology currently open in downtown San Francisco. I am not aware of any theft problems.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

lake52 wrote: April 23rd, 2022, 6:24 pm

There are 4 Amazon Go stores utilizing “Just walk out” technology currently open in downtown San Francisco. I am not aware of any theft problems.
Those are not 35k+ square foot grocery stores with high dollar items...

Not the same idea at all.

Have you used Amazon's "Just Walk Out" technology yet in an Amazon Fresh 35k+ square foot store, and made observations in one of the stores that has it? Suggest you do that and then re-analyze your position.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

ClownLoach wrote: April 23rd, 2022, 6:17 pm Considering you can't get in without your credit card linked I am not sure how this will be a shoplifting disaster. It is operationally a disappointment when you consider that nobody can give you a running total even when you've left already.

I really wonder why Amazon never made an all RFID grocery store. In theory it would work the same way and be much more accurate and timely vs. the current problem of no receipt for hours after the shop.
Nothing stops a customer from walking in as a normal customer and walking out without paying... the gates for entry/exit of the Just Walk Out traffic not being used by someone who did that would be the key thing.

Also I wonder what happens when you enter with a credit card that only has $50 available credit on the card then "walk out" with $200 of stuff? I'm not sure what amount it authorized at entry but I did not get a text alert so it wasn't a very high pre-authorization...

I am very sour on their Just Walk Out program. Frankly, I'd never use it again until they figure out a way to show me a running total or at the very, very least- show me the charge BEFORE I leave the store.
lake52
Cashier
Cashier

Post by lake52 »

storewanderer wrote: April 23rd, 2022, 6:27 pm
lake52 wrote: April 23rd, 2022, 6:24 pm

Those are not 35k+ square foot grocery stores with high dollar items...

Not the same idea at all.

Have you used Amazon's "Just Walk Out" technology yet in an Amazon Fresh 35k+ square foot store, and made observations in one of the stores that has it? Suggest you do that and then re-analyze your position.
Agreed that this is not similar to a large format grocer, however in a city with a theft problem at CVS/Walgreens, these Amazon Go stores carry a decent assortment of similar high theft items like laundry detergent, batteries, womens health products, etc.

I’d imagine the Bay Area will see a Whole Foods with just walk out before an Amazon Fresh store. Just not enough real estate and whenever retail becomes vacant, it doesn’t stay retail.