IGA Edmonton, Alberta grand opening 2001

News & Discussion from the grocery retailers in the Canadian provinces & territories
retailfanmitchell019
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

IGA Edmonton, Alberta grand opening 2001

Post by retailfanmitchell019 »

Posted this for something fun to watch...

The Canadian IGA stores (part of Oshawa Group) were acquired by Sobeys in 1999. Most IGA stores in Western Canada and Ontario have been converted to the Sobeys name. IGA is the sole banner in Quebec.
These "Garden Market" IGA stores look similar to a 90's Albertsons in format/layout.
storewanderer

Re: IGA Edmonton, Alberta grand opening 2001

Post by storewanderer »

I find it ironic in Canada that some "IGA" stores are run by large corporations.

The one in downtown Vancouver is run by the same corporation that owns London Drugs.

At least in the US most IGAs I know of are run by small groups with no more than about 5 stores.
jamcool
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by jamcool »

In Arizona, there is a handful of IGA stores in operation that are supplied by Bashas’-through its National Grocery division (and IGA products show up in Bashas’ stores on occasion)
retailfanmitchell019
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by retailfanmitchell019 »

storewanderer wrote: June 19th, 2021, 1:18 pm I find it ironic in Canada that some "IGA" stores are run by large corporations.

The one in downtown Vancouver is run by the same corporation that owns London Drugs.

At least in the US most IGAs I know of are run by small groups with no more than about 5 stores.
Yes, most IGA stores in BC are owned by the parent of London Drugs. The IGA stores in Chetwynd, Fort Nelson and Golden, BC (all in far eastern BC) are part of Sobeys. Sobeys franchises the IGA stores in most of Canada.

Oshawa Group had to divest the Atlantic Canada IGA stores to Loblaws (converting them to SaveEasy) during the merger with Sobeys, as Sobeys dominated the region (they are based in Nova Scotia).
Ahold was interested in Oshawa before they accepted a merger with Sobeys.
SamSpade
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by SamSpade »

I had no idea the IGAs around the lower mainland were run by the same parent company as London Drugs.

This place is always interesting.