Baxter Auto Parts to become Carquest

Super S

Baxter Auto Parts to become Carquest

Post by Super S »

https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/ ... est-Stores

This is an interesting development as most Carquest locations in this area were converted to the Advance banner, and some of those locations are still open within Baxter's operating area. It is worth noting that Baxter will still be operating these locations as Carquest.

Advance and Carquest seemed to be struggling in recent years locally. Time will tell what happens.
storewanderer

Re: Baxter Auto Parts to become Carquest

Post by storewanderer »

I wonder who currently supplies this Baxter?

There was a Carquest turned Advance out in Winnemucca, NV and it did not last long under the Advance banner.

Interesting to see expansion under the Carquest banner. It is my understanding that at least some of the current California Carquests are going to be converted to the Advance banner pending the Pep Boys transaction Advance is currently involved in there in California.
Super S

Post by Super S »

storewanderer wrote: July 22nd, 2021, 11:29 pm I wonder who currently supplies this Baxter?

There was a Carquest turned Advance out in Winnemucca, NV and it did not last long under the Advance banner.

Interesting to see expansion under the Carquest banner. It is my understanding that at least some of the current California Carquests are going to be converted to the Advance banner pending the Pep Boys transaction Advance is currently involved in there in California.
Baxter has been affiliated with Auto Value for quite some time, and about 1-2 years ago, they sold their wholesale operation known as Performance Warehouse, which supplied many other independent parts stores. The fact that they sold their wholesale operation was a clue that something was brewing.

I have been told by a couple of friends working in auto parts stores that the new wholesale operation (NPW) has really gone downhill and at times is unreliable. I kinda wished Baxter could have held on as an independent chain, but am curious if there will be changes to what they carry in the stores as they switch to Carquest. Baxter still had a decent selection of performance parts among other things that the national chains don't really offer.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

Super S wrote: July 23rd, 2021, 6:05 am Baxter has been affiliated with Auto Value for quite some time, and about 1-2 years ago, they sold their wholesale operation known as Performance Warehouse, which supplied many other independent parts stores. The fact that they sold their wholesale operation was a clue that something was brewing.

I have been told by a couple of friends working in auto parts stores that the new wholesale operation (NPW) has really gone downhill and at times is unreliable. I kinda wished Baxter could have held on as an independent chain, but am curious if there will be changes to what they carry in the stores as they switch to Carquest. Baxter still had a decent selection of performance parts among other things that the national chains don't really offer.
Like many supply chains the auto parts supply chain is having some issues over the past year. It is possible these smaller chains/smaller wholesalers are just getting squeezed so this may be a strategic decision by Baxter to align with Advance and hopefully have it be more reliable.

I have had car repairs held up in the past year due to parts delivery related issues.
Super S

Post by Super S »

I drove by the local Baxter store yesterday and noticed that they now have a new sign reading "CARQUEST Baxter Auto Parts" out front. However, I have not been inside Baxter in a while as the local store does not have convenient hours and is closed on Sundays, so I don't know the extent of changes they made inside.