Halloween Stores

Brian Lutz
Store Manager
Store Manager

Re: Halloween Stores

Post by Brian Lutz »

`Some of the Spirit stores have been a bit later to open this year than last year, but gradually they have shown up. The one in Everett opened in a former Pier 1 near their previous two locations.
Alpha8472

Post by Alpha8472 »

Spirit Halloween has not yet opened, but they have announced their stores. Many of them are the same stores as last year including still abandoned Sears stores, Kmart in Concord and Petaluma, Toys R Us in Hayward, and many Pier 1 Imports.

The new additions in the San Francisco Bay Area are Fry's Electronics in Campbell (Egyptian Theme: I am eager to see if the hieroglyphics and giant black cats holding up tables are still there), Sprouts in Fremont, many Fitness 19 gyms, Ross, and many Office Depot stores.
norcalriteaidclerk
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by norcalriteaidclerk »

Alpha8472 wrote:Spirit Halloween has not yet opened, but they have announced their stores. Many of them are the same stores as last year including still abandoned Sears stores, Kmart in Concord and Petaluma, Toys R Us in Hayward, and many Pier 1 Imports.

The new additions in the San Francisco Bay Area are Fry's Electronics in Campbell (Egyptian Theme: I am eager to see if the hieroglyphics and giant black cats holding up tables are still there), Sprouts in Fremont, many Fitness 19 gyms, Ross, and many Office Depot stores.
One of my nearest is in a closed Stein Mart for the second straight year.Out in the exurbs,they are subleasing from a Payless turned Rite Aid that was downsized upon receiving the Wellness remodel.

Sent from my SM-G781U using Tapatalk

For your life,Thrifty and Payless have got it.
Alpha8472

Post by Alpha8472 »

I have noticed fewer Spirit Halloween stores this year. The company posted soon to open locations, but there are none in the entire Oakland, San Leandro, Berkeley, Richmond, Hayward, California area. There is only one location in the entire city of San Francisco.

Perhaps Spirit Halloween realizes that any store in the San Francisco to Oakland area would be a shoplifter's paradise.

Spirit used to have stores just hundreds of feet from each other. You could drive down the street and pass several in the San Francisco Bay Area. Those days are gone apparently.

The Los Angeles area is different. That area has tons of Spirit stores. The website says what the stores used to be: Rite Aid, CVS, Bed Bath & Beyond, Toys R Us, Sears, Office Depot, Circuit City, Big Lots, Kmart, Aaron Brothers, etc.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

Alpha8472 wrote: August 4th, 2022, 8:11 pm I have noticed fewer Spirit Halloween stores this year. The company posted soon to open locations, but there are none in the entire Oakland, San Leandro, Berkeley, Richmond, Hayward, California area. There is only one location in the entire city of San Francisco.

Perhaps Spirit Halloween realizes that any store in the San Francisco to Oakland area would be a shoplifter's paradise.

Spirit used to have stores just hundreds of feet from each other. You could drive down the street and pass several in the San Francisco Bay Area. Those days are gone apparently.

The Los Angeles area is different. That area has tons of Spirit stores. The website says what the stores used to be: Rite Aid, CVS, Bed Bath & Beyond, Toys R Us, Sears, Office Depot, Circuit City, Big Lots, Kmart, Aaron Brothers, etc.
Isn't Spirit based on the bay area? Hard to believe they'd let go of such a large market area unless that area is really so high risk for retailers at this point due to the out of control shoplifting and other issues that they realize they can't take it anymore.

Maybe they will try pop-up stores that literally go up and down in the same day/week.
HCal
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by HCal »

What would anyone want to shoplift from Spirit Halloween? Their merchandise is cheap and I don't think there's a huge resale market for it since it's so seasonal.
Alpha8472

Post by Alpha8472 »

Spirit Halloween used to be based in Hayward, California near San Francisco in the 90s. However, the company was taken over by an East Coast company. This year they have drastically reduced the number of stores. Last year they had multiple stores in the same neighborhoods.

I was at a Spirit Halloween last year in Hayward, California and there was a security guard as the store was being robbed by teenagers and young adults who just wanted free Halloween stuff. There are a lot of grab and run looters type of people in the area.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

HCal wrote: August 5th, 2022, 1:09 am What would anyone want to shoplift from Spirit Halloween? Their merchandise is cheap and I don't think there's a huge resale market for it since it's so seasonal.
The same reasons people shoplift from Dollar Tree, 99 Cents Only, Savers, or Goodwill: because they want to, and because they think they can get away with it.

In the case of Spirit, you have teenagers who want Halloween stuff. For whatever reason their parents either don't want to pay for it, can't pay for it, etc. so the teen goes in and shoplifts the stuff instead. Spirit is staffed by temporary employees and the last thing a temporary retailer wants to deal with is a situation where they are sued for a bad chase for their store that is only open for about 75 days a year anyway.
norcalriteaidclerk
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by norcalriteaidclerk »

I must note that a Halloween City (owned by Party City) will soon open in the old Rite Aid at 7900 Arcadia,giving the vacant Citrus Heights drugstore building its first tenancy (albeit short term) in over four years;and that building is attached to none other than a Party City.

Sent from my SM-G781U using Tapatalk

For your life,Thrifty and Payless have got it.
Alpha8472

Post by Alpha8472 »

Party City already has a huge Halloween selection in their Party City stores. I think it might be a little overkill to have them right next to each other.

How does this work? Does the Halloween City have its own manager and temporary employees? Or do both stores share the same manager and employees freely walk between both stores?