Publix entering Louisville, KY in 2023

Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, Nebraska, North Dakota, Ohio, South Dakota, and Wisconsin. No non-grocery posts.
BatteryMill
Shift Manager
Shift Manager

Publix entering Louisville, KY in 2023

Post by BatteryMill »

https://www.wdrb.com/news/publix-plans- ... 4d252.html

The first lease has been signed for Publix as they edge on the Midwest. What do you think will come of this move? Is it too far-fetched? I personally wonder why they skipped across the rest of the state to enter there.
Bakeragr
Produce Clerk
Produce Clerk

Re: Publix entering Louisville, KY in 2023

Post by Bakeragr »

I always figured that northern Mississippi (Tupelo, Oxford, etc) and Memphis would be next as it would be easily accessible from their AL distribution center. Louisville will bring them in competition with both Kroger and Meijer. Very interesting.
Knight
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by Knight »

BatteryMill wrote: September 7th, 2021, 11:16 am https://www.wdrb.com/news/publix-plans- ... 4d252.html

The first lease has been signed for Publix as they edge on the Midwest. What do you think will come of this move? Is it too far-fetched? I personally wonder why they skipped across the rest of the state to enter there.
I think more announcements and developments to be made later relevant to Publix's expansion into Kentucky.
Knight
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by Knight »

Bakeragr wrote: September 7th, 2021, 11:30 am I always figured that northern Mississippi (Tupelo, Oxford, etc) and Memphis would be next as it would be easily accessible from their AL distribution center. Louisville will bring them in competition with both Kroger and Meijer. Very interesting.
Publix in Mississippi and in Memphis should be steps closer to reality with the entry into Kentucky.
DFWRetaileWatcher
Cashier
Cashier

Post by DFWRetaileWatcher »

Bakeragr wrote: September 7th, 2021, 11:30 am I always figured that northern Mississippi (Tupelo, Oxford, etc) and Memphis would be next as it would be easily accessible from their AL distribution center. Louisville will bring them in competition with both Kroger and Meijer. Very interesting.
Yeah, definitely a bold move for sure.

Kroger is one thing, but Meijer's a big deal in the Midwest (like Wegman's in the NE or H-E-B in Texas).
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

I think Meijer and Publix are going after entirely different customer bases.

Kroger was run okay in Louisville... not noticeably terrible or noticeably excellent... just okay.

Will be interesting to see how Publix does and not surprised to see them pushing in this geographic direction. Maybe in another 25 years they'll hit the west coast.
retailfanmitchell019
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by retailfanmitchell019 »

storewanderer wrote: September 7th, 2021, 6:34 pm Will be interesting to see how Publix does and not surprised to see them pushing in this geographic direction. Maybe in another 25 years they'll hit the west coast.
Sort of like the way Albertsons expanded, but in the opposite direction if this happens.
Kentucky-related topics should probably be moved to the Southeast section of the forum.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

retailfanmitchell019 wrote: September 7th, 2021, 7:32 pm
storewanderer wrote: September 7th, 2021, 6:34 pm Will be interesting to see how Publix does and not surprised to see them pushing in this geographic direction. Maybe in another 25 years they'll hit the west coast.
Sort of like the way Albertsons expanded, but in the opposite direction if this happens.
Kentucky-related topics should probably be moved to the Southeast section of the forum.
The difference is Publix seems to hang in there, even in markets where their stores do not seem terribly busy... the further you get from FL, the less busy their stores are... and they double down and run those stores in those distant locations with fewer customers to a very high standard of customer service and product freshness, and various customer friendly policies they do not always tend to offer in FL, such as staying open past 9 PM.

Would love to see Publix vs. Hy Vee. I think Publix is smarter than to try that. But Kroger- especially Kroger at present- it is open country for sure.
buckguy
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by buckguy »

Louisville isn't the Midwest. It is closer to Nashville than Memphis and arguably more middle class plus there are places either the same distance as Louisville or in between that could work for them: Clarksville, Bowling Green, KY and Lexington.

Memphis has been pretty resistant to a wide range of outsiders over decades from National Tea to Schnuck's. Publix may need to think more about strategy there. Mississippi has a limited number of potential markets, mostly spread out from each other.
veteran+
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by veteran+ »

I don't think I remember Publix ever entering a market (regardless of distribution logistics) and then withdrawing.

Where they go has to jive with their corporate ideology (political, buisiness friendly, union issues, State Labor department activity, etc.).

Entering Kentucky does not surprise me.

I would be shocked if Publix would ever consider the West Coast (unless seismic changes occur).