Publix entering Louisville, KY in 2023

Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, Nebraska, North Dakota, Ohio, South Dakota, and Wisconsin. No non-grocery posts.
TempoNick
Stock Clerk
Stock Clerk

Re: Publix entering Louisville, KY in 2023

Post by TempoNick »

Knight wrote: September 26th, 2021, 11:51 am
Kroger being on top in the Atlanta area and Georgia is interesting. It is behind Publix in supermarket market share, and its Kroger Marketplace stores are behind Walmart Supercenter in hypermarket market share.

As of 2018:

Kroger, which has 150 Georgia stores, dominates with more than 30% of the grocery store share in the state, according to the latest data supplied by The Shelby Report. Walmart is second with 105 stores and nearly 25% of the market share, followed by Publix, with 155 stores and almost 22% of the market share. They are the big three. According to The Shelby Report, all other grocers in Atlanta command less than 5% of market share each.

https://www.bisnow.com/atlanta/news/ret ... g-up-90664
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

TempoNick wrote: September 26th, 2021, 6:17 pm
Knight wrote: September 26th, 2021, 11:51 am
Kroger being on top in the Atlanta area and Georgia is interesting. It is behind Publix in supermarket market share, and its Kroger Marketplace stores are behind Walmart Supercenter in hypermarket market share.

As of 2018:

Kroger, which has 150 Georgia stores, dominates with more than 30% of the grocery store share in the state, according to the latest data supplied by The Shelby Report. Walmart is second with 105 stores and nearly 25% of the market share, followed by Publix, with 155 stores and almost 22% of the market share. They are the big three. According to The Shelby Report, all other grocers in Atlanta command less than 5% of market share each.

https://www.bisnow.com/atlanta/news/ret ... g-up-90664
I find that very impressive that Publix is pulling volumes that are just 25% below Kroger. Kroger Atlanta has a lot of very big over 60k square foot high volume stores (easily over $1 million a week). Publix by contrast seems to run a lot of little 40k square foot type stores, also open shorter hours than Kroger. This adds to the narrative of the very high success of Publix in Atlanta.
TempoNick
Stock Clerk
Stock Clerk

Post by TempoNick »

storewanderer wrote: September 26th, 2021, 6:20 pm
I find that very impressive that Publix is pulling volumes that are just 25% below Kroger. Kroger Atlanta has a lot of very big over 60k square foot high volume stores (easily over $1 million a week). Publix by contrast seems to run a lot of little 40k square foot type stores, also open shorter hours than Kroger. This adds to the narrative of the very high success of Publix in Atlanta.
Two points:

1. I don't know how they calculate market share, but if it's based on dollars spent, Publix, with higher prices, is going to have lower volume compared to retailers with lower pricing.

2. I'm skeptical that grocer that closes the majority of their stores at 10 pm (last time I checked, which was long before Covid) is bursting at the seams with customers. To me successful = people and volume. People and volume means longer hours.

No question Publix is successful and they have their niche, however.
klkla

Post by klkla »

Bagels wrote: September 23rd, 2021, 2:26 pm
TempoNick wrote: September 22nd, 2021, 9:57 pm
retailfanmitchell019 wrote: September 22nd, 2021, 9:30 pm
Kroger (and Walmart) also have some trouble competing against Albertsons/Vons dominance in San Diego.
Kroger says they have top two market share in San Diego according to their fact book.
In 2019: Albertsons/Vons = 22.5%, Walmart = 14%, Ralphs/F4L = 11.3%

Walmart opened its first San Diego SuperCenter in 2012 and had less than half a percentage of market share before that.
That stat seems odd because just two years earlier in 2017, which was two years after Albertson's purchased Vons, San Diego Market Share was as follows:

#1 - Albertson's/Vons/Pavilions 20.6%
#2 - Ralphs/Food4Less 18.7%
#3 - Unified Grocers (Collection on independent and ethnic chains) 13.3%
#4 - WalMart 11.3%
#5 - Stater Bros 8.9%
#6 - Trader Joes 6%
#7 - Smart & Final 5.7%
#8 - Whole Foods 3.2%

There hasn't been much change in San Diego since then and the most change that occurred was that was Albetston's took back some unwanted stores from the Haggen fiasco so if there's any difference now I would imagine it's just a slightly stronger market share for Albertson's.

What's really sad is that after the merger with Safeway SoCal there was a period where Vons had 39% market share in San Diego.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

klkla wrote: November 7th, 2021, 8:22 pm

That stat seems odd because just two years earlier in 2017, which was two years after Albertson's purchased Vons, San Diego Market Share was as follows:

#4 - WalMart 11.3%
#5 - Stater Bros 8.9%
#6 - Trader Joes 6%
#7 - Smart & Final 5.7%
#8 - Whole Foods 3.2%

There hasn't been much change in San Diego since then and the most change that occurred was that was Albetston's took back some unwanted stores from the Haggen fiasco so if there's any difference now I would imagine it's just a slightly stronger market share for Albertson's.

What's really sad is that after the merger with Safeway SoCal there was a period where Vons had 39% market share in San Diego.
Not knowing exactly how the territory lines are drawn, I find it impressive Stater shows 8.9% share given their (low) store count is just around the northern perimeter of the San Diego area and even then, not many stores.
Bagels
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by Bagels »

klkla wrote: November 7th, 2021, 8:22 pmThat stat seems odd because just two years earlier in 2017, which was two years after Albertson's purchased Vons, San Diego Market Share was as follows:

#4 - WalMart 11.3%
#5 - Stater Bros 8.9%
#6 - Trader Joes 6%
#7 - Smart & Final 5.7%
#8 - Whole Foods 3.2%

No, that's SoCal market share:
https://www.statista.com/statistics/818 ... retailers/

The numbers I posted are San Diego market share. This story includes numbers similar to what I pulled from the database:
https://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/bu ... horization

A big clue should've been Stater Bros market share, as well as Ralphs/F4L -- I don't think it's ever been that high, and they continue to close stores in the region :).
BatteryMill
Shift Manager
Shift Manager

Post by BatteryMill »

https://www.bizjournals.com/louisville/ ... 2#cxrecs_s

Another Louisville site is on the cards for 2023.
buckguy
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by buckguy »

BatteryMill wrote: December 7th, 2021, 1:40 pm https://www.bizjournals.com/louisville/ ... 2#cxrecs_s

Another Louisville site is on the cards for 2023.
Here's a link without a paywall: https://corporate.publix.com/about-publ ... y-location
Knight
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by Knight »

Publix opened its first store in Kentucky in Louisville on Wednesday, 10 January.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

Knight wrote: January 16th, 2024, 2:51 pm Publix opened its first store in Kentucky in Louisville on Wednesday, 10 January.
Is this their first meeting with Meijer?

Wasn't Hy Vee going to open in Louisville too?

There is going to be fallout in Louisville... and it won't be the entrenched Kroger.

Hy Vee vs. Meijer will be interesting in that market. From what I saw in IL, Hy Vee slaughters Meijer. I probably prefer Meijer due to lower pricing but Hy Vee's mix... is so good...