Kroger adds "Fresh Cart" icon to Kroger logo, banner logos

This is the place for general and miscellaneous posts on topics which might extend past the boundaries of any specific region. No non-grocery posts.
Super S

Re: Kroger adds "Fresh Cart" icon to Kroger logo, banner logos

Post by Super S »

The cart has started appearing in the Fred Meyer TV commercials.

I actually saw a way they could "Krogerize" the Fred Meyer logo, maybe by changing the F and the Y to look more like the K and the G in Kroger. But in my opinion, they have a logo that has evolved over the years and looks modern enough as it is.
retailfanmitchell019
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by retailfanmitchell019 »

Saw these advertisements on the Ralphs website. They are using the Kroger font...
delivery.png
pickup.png
jamcool
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by jamcool »

I am seeing billboards in the Phoenix area…in Spanish…that Kroger is hiring (probably for the new Ocado facility) Kroger…not Fry’s. It tells me that the Fry’s name may be going away in Arizona
arizonaguy
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by arizonaguy »

jamcool wrote: September 24th, 2021, 9:55 am I am seeing billboards in the Phoenix area…in Spanish…that Kroger is hiring (probably for the new Ocado facility) Kroger…not Fry’s. It tells me that the Fry’s name may be going away in Arizona
It wouldn't surprise me. I don't think the Fry's name holds a lot of value here over what the Kroger name would. Unlike other places I wouldn't expect much to change. A lot of older shoppers here in the Phoenix area have relocated from or have some familiarity with Kroger having experienced it in other regions (and most people know Fry's is Kroger in all but name anyways). Plus Kroger re-bannered over half of the stores 20 years ago (Smith's / Smitty's / Fred Meyer Marketplace all became Fry's) without any negative results. Of course, if Kroger was going to do it, I'd think that they would've done it 20 years ago when they re-bannered over half of the stores.
HCal
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by HCal »

Maybe the demise of Fry's Electronics has tarnished the name and logo, which were almost identical to that used by the grocery chain.

But if they have to rebrand, I would suggest Ralphs. I bet there are more Californians in Arizona than people from the midwest or deep south. :D
Alpha8472

Post by Alpha8472 »

Fry's began as a supermarket in Contra Costa County in Northern California. There were Fry's stores up until 1990. Those Fry's Supermarkets became Save Mart in 1990. Then they rebranded to Lucky a few years ago since Save Mart runs the Lucky Supermarkets in Northern California.

There are still some supermarkets with the original Fry's 1960s or 1970s decor to this day! It is like going back in time. Even the refrigerated cases are vintage 1970s. The Lucky in Antioch, California near downtown is one example.

The Fry's name is not all that tainted. It would still work in Northern California as many older people remember Fry's Supermarkets. Perhaps it would have had better recognition than Ralphs. Ralphs was a tainted brand. All of the Northern California stores closed after only a few years after Ralphs tried to move into Northern California in 1999. If Kroger had used Fry's, there would have been more loyalty as Fry's was started by a local family.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

Alpha8472 wrote: September 24th, 2021, 5:14 pm Fry's began as a supermarket in Contra Costa County in Northern California. There were Fry's stores up until 1990. Those Fry's Supermarkets became Save Mart in 1990. Then they rebranded to Lucky a few years ago since Save Mart runs the Lucky Supermarkets in Northern California.

There are still some supermarkets with the original Fry's 1960s or 1970s decor to this day! It is like going back in time. Even the refrigerated cases are vintage 1970s. The Lucky in Antioch, California near downtown is one example.

The Fry's name is not all that tainted. It would still work in Northern California as many older people remember Fry's Supermarkets. Perhaps it would have had better recognition than Ralphs. Ralphs was a tainted brand. All of the Northern California stores closed after only a few years after Ralphs tried to move into Northern California in 1999. If Kroger had used Fry's, there would have been more loyalty as Fry's was started by a local family.
The only store left with the Fry's interior is Contra Loma in Antioch (unless they've remodeled it in the past year)- that is an early 80's Frys interior (have also seen that interior at some Dillons like Colby or Garden City- but think all of those have since been remodeled). The downtown Antioch Store has a Save Mart interior but does have a lot of original refrigeration.

I don't think Ralphs was a tainted brand nor was it a brand that should have failed in NorCal. Ralphs was run with too high of a pricing structure in NorCal and did not have the best locations but operationally they had very well run stores with very good quality products and execution. The Cala/Bell Stores in the bay area were even higher priced and were mostly quite small stores and did not seem to quite have the quality execution the Ralphs had- those stores are clearly not the type of store Kroger likes to run as they are too small but they were in good locations and hard to replicate. To this day I believe that the exit of Ralphs from NorCal was a mistake. With sharper pricing they would have done very well and enjoyed significant volume growth- they left NorCal right as Kroger really got going with the Dave Dillon programs that caused them to build volume for many years. If you look at the new stores Kroger built for Ralphs they are all other grocers now (2 Nuggets and 1 Raleys) also most of the Cala/Bell Stores have converted to even more upscale grocers; and a few of the Ralphs ended up with Safeway (Grass Valley, Freedom, Del Rey Oaks) and some of those ended up as more upscale grocers (such as the 2 in Santa Rosa one now Whole Foods the other now a quite nice independent).

Kroger also never tried things like self checkout or fuel centers with NorCal Ralphs. There was no bridging effort between Ralphs and Quik Stop to offer fuel discounts with the loyalty card (this may have been because the Quik Stops are all in such lousy neighborhoods).
submariner
Founder of RetailWatchers.com
Founder of RetailWatchers.com

Post by submariner »

retailfanmitchell019 wrote: September 16th, 2021, 6:27 pm This topic is already being discussed in the Southwest/Hawaii forum.
I have merged the topics. This category is better suited to the topic anyways.