Kroger adds "Fresh Cart" icon to Kroger logo, banner logos

This is the place for general and miscellaneous posts on topics which might extend past the boundaries of any specific region. No non-grocery posts.
HCal
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Re: New Kroger logo?

Post by HCal »

storewanderer wrote: September 12th, 2021, 12:15 pm

F4L/FoodsCo is another issue- given a different format, and not real well implemented on Kroger programs (do those stores even do Pick Up and do any of them have self checkout yet?), I would not expect a name change there. Funny when the names that should be eliminated, are the ones that end up getting to stay...
Out of curiosity, why do you think those names should be eliminated? At least in LA, F4L seems to have good brand recognition.

F4L/FoodsCo seem to be operating quite independently from Kroger, which I think is great. They are unique in the Kroger family so maybe the company doesn't have much expertise with discount stores. Their main competition is discounters like Aldi and Grocery Outlet, which do not have online pickup or self-checkout either. I think that it's a good sign that they didn't get this new logo, hopefully it means that Kroger continues their hands-off policy.

The supermarket divisions like Ralphs and King Soopers, as someone mentioned, are already fully integrated in all but name, so adding this logo will probably have little practical impact.
ClownLoach
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by ClownLoach »

HCal wrote: September 13th, 2021, 12:17 am

F4L/FoodsCo is another issue- given a different format, and not real well implemented on Kroger programs (do those stores even do Pick Up and do any of them have self checkout yet?), I would not expect a name change there. Funny when the names that should be eliminated, are the ones that end up getting to stay...
Out of curiosity, why do you think those names should be eliminated? At least in LA, F4L seems to have good brand recognition.

F4L/FoodsCo seem to be operating quite independently from Kroger, which I think is great. They are unique in the Kroger family so maybe the company doesn't have much expertise with discount stores. Their main competition is discounters like Aldi and Grocery Outlet, which do not have online pickup or self-checkout either. I think that it's a good sign that they didn't get this new logo, hopefully it means that Kroger continues their hands-off policy.

The supermarket divisions like Ralphs and King Soopers, as someone mentioned, are already fully integrated in all but name, so adding this logo will probably have little practical impact.
The AdWeek article shows every brand except HT with the "fresh cart." The cart is black for F4L and green for FoodsCo.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.adweek ... -cart/amp/
BatteryMill
Shift Manager
Shift Manager

Post by BatteryMill »

In my opinion, the "fresh cart" feels redundant when it is located next to a logo that already features a symbol, or is built around one (such as QFC, Pay Less, Ruler, etc.). It also seems to be out of tune with cursive/serif wordmarks (Smith's, Dillons, Gerbes, etc.).
ClownLoach wrote: September 13th, 2021, 11:46 am

The AdWeek article shows every brand except HT with the "fresh cart." The cart is black for F4L and green for FoodsCo.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.adweek ... -cart/amp/
As mentioned in the Harris Teeter/Kroger integration thread (see the Southeast board), HT still has several corporate functions independent of the parent company, hence why they haven't jumped on any of these branding efforts. F4L might also be a bit tough to market Kroger-style given the name is shared by other organizations.

Anyways, it is strange that Kroger is just now deciding to deeply integrate all their brands, and that they would be doing this for marketing reasons.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

The problem with F4L is Kroger isn't the only one using the name. Various other parties are using the name, primarily in CA, but you still have a few other parties using the name in OR, MO, and who knows if there are any others sitting around that nobody knows about. FCO is a flat generic name and is used since other parties are using F4L in markets where FCO is. F4L has enough of a critical mass in SoCal, so it does make sense that the name has some value. And if you were going to change the name, what would you change it to? You wouldn't put the Kroger name on a low service/price impact format store. But if you were picking a name to eliminate- a generic F4L that is used by various other random operators, or a classic brand like Ralphs with a strong history- which would be the bigger loss? That was more where I was coming from with the comment about the name that "should be" eliminated.

It is interesting you observe F4L/FCO runs independently from the rest of Kroger. My observation is they run like a standard Kroger with a tighter labor model and different product presentation methods. Pricing/promotional methods are the same as usual Kroger and once you get past the different presentation the general merchandising style is also the same.

FCO has been a huge success story for Kroger in northern California. That group of stores performs very well. They could easily have triple the current store count if they wanted to. There are many areas where a FCO would be a great fit. FCO did close a store in Redwood City a few years ago but that was because they lost it due to redevelopment. It was a 25k square foot former QFI Store and it did very, very high volume.
HCal
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by HCal »

storewanderer wrote: September 13th, 2021, 10:53 pm The problem with F4L is Kroger isn't the only one using the name. Various other parties are using the name, primarily in CA, but you still have a few other parties using the name in OR, MO, and who knows if there are any others sitting around that nobody knows about. FCO is a flat generic name and is used since other parties are using F4L in markets where FCO is. F4L has enough of a critical mass in SoCal, so it does make sense that the name has some value. And if you were going to change the name, what would you change it to? You wouldn't put the Kroger name on a low service/price impact format store. But if you were picking a name to eliminate- a generic F4L that is used by various other random operators, or a classic brand like Ralphs with a strong history- which would be the bigger loss? That was more where I was coming from with the comment about the name that "should be" eliminated.

It is interesting you observe F4L/FCO runs independently from the rest of Kroger. My observation is they run like a standard Kroger with a tighter labor model and different product presentation methods. Pricing/promotional methods are the same as usual Kroger and once you get past the different presentation the general merchandising style is also the same.

FCO has been a huge success story for Kroger in northern California. That group of stores performs very well. They could easily have triple the current store count if they wanted to. There are many areas where a FCO would be a great fit. FCO did close a store in Redwood City a few years ago but that was because they lost it due to redevelopment. It was a 25k square foot former QFI Store and it did very, very high volume.
Ah I see what you meant. I don't think F4L/FCO names should be changed, but if they had to rebrand something to Kroger, it would make more sense to change that than Ralphs. Maybe Kroger will want to have a national discount banner... Ruler Foods might work? I've never been to one though.

I observed them running independently based on how I feel when I walk in. They don't have self-checkouts, loyalty cards (or at least the loyalty cards are not required to get discount prices) or many service departments. I've been to several Kroger divisions and they all (other than Fred Meyer) have essentially identical stores, with minor cosmetic changes. F4L just feels different. I suppose the back end may be more integrated, which is to be expected.

I'm glad to hear FCO has been successful for Kroger, as that was not my perception. My local store shut down a few months ago, and the others in town are less busy than FoodMaxx which is the most similar comparison. But maybe they are doing better in the bay area and other places where there is less low-priced competition.
BatteryMill
Shift Manager
Shift Manager

Post by BatteryMill »

That being said, if Kroger does rebrand all the "in name only" chains, how would you see divisions organized? This would be interesting as Smith's snakes around Fry's and King Soopers territory.
jamcool
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by jamcool »

Smith’s in NM would probably be merged into Fry’s (somewhat similar markets)
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

jamcool wrote: September 14th, 2021, 12:34 pm Smith’s in NM would probably be merged into Fry’s (somewhat similar markets)
They have actually quit distributing grocery to NM Smiths from Frys and use the Smiths warehouse in Henderson, NV for that.

There are some distinct merchandising differences in NM. NM is an interesting market.
arizonaguy
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by arizonaguy »

storewanderer wrote: September 14th, 2021, 5:13 pm
jamcool wrote: September 14th, 2021, 12:34 pm Smith’s in NM would probably be merged into Fry’s (somewhat similar markets)
They have actually quit distributing grocery to NM Smiths from Frys and use the Smiths warehouse in Henderson, NV for that.

There are some distinct merchandising differences in NM. NM is an interesting market.
I'm surprised that they are distributing to NM from NV as Tolleson, AZ is about an hour or so closer to Albuquerque.

Albertsons also used to distribute to NM through Arizona but now uses United out of Lubbock which is an hour closer. However around the same time they moved NM to Lubbock Albertsons moved the Las Vegas stores to the Arizona distribution centers (as they have 2 in the Phoenix area). El Paso also uses the Phoenix DCs.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

arizonaguy wrote: September 14th, 2021, 10:03 pm
I'm surprised that they are distributing to NM from NV as Tolleson, AZ is about an hour or so closer to Albuquerque.

Albertsons also used to distribute to NM through Arizona but now uses United out of Lubbock which is an hour closer. However around the same time they moved NM to Lubbock Albertsons moved the Las Vegas stores to the Arizona distribution centers (as they have 2 in the Phoenix area). El Paso also uses the Phoenix DCs.
I was surprised they did that too. They are still distributing perishable from AZ to NM as the NV center is dry goods only (at this time at least).