Five Below

cjd
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Re: Five Below

Post by cjd »

Brian Lutz wrote: October 21st, 2022, 3:13 pm Finally got a chance to check out a Five Below store today near our current temporary home, and it from my first impressions it's basically impossible to make any direct comparison to a Dollar Tree or a Daiso store. For one thing, the store is much smaller than an average Dollar Tree (probably somewhere in the 5000 square foot range, comparable to a mid-sized Daiso in size) The merchandise also seems very different from what you'd find at a Dollar Tree, targeted at a much younger audience. The store seems to be broken down into a few major departments, the main ones being a seasonal department, a toy department, a "tech" department (with a lot of stuff for gamers and streamers,) a "fashion" department with a lot of $5 t-shirts and various beauty items (they seem to be going very much after the same look as a Claire's store in this area), and a large candy department. There's a bit of general merchandise (stuff like cleaning products and office supplies)thrown in between those, but you could miss it easily if you aren't looking for it.

If you're familiar with Zany Brainy you can see the influence of those stores on Five Below. I imagine they are aimed at a similar demographic (probably the exact same people, just around 20 years older now.)
That’s pretty much the exact impression I’ve had of the one here. I have noticed that the merchandise is about the exact same stuff as it had when it opened a year ago now.

The store always seems busy with customers, and it also has quite a few employees on staff for a store of its size, it always seems to be the case when I’ve been that they seem to be distributed throughout the store stocking, etc.

I’ve been a handful of times but never bought anything there.

It doesn’t compare IMO to Dollar Tree either, other than that there’s really no big ticket items there obviously.