Brookshire Grocery to buy Reasors

Arizona, Hawaii, Nevada, New Mexico, Oklahoma, and Texas. No non-grocery posts.
jamcool
Store Manager
Store Manager

Re: Brookshire Grocery to buy Reasors

Post by jamcool »

Expect more of the independent chains to merge. I am surprised that Stater Bros in SoCal hasn’t considered a combination with another operator.
wnetmacman
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by wnetmacman »

jamcool wrote: November 3rd, 2021, 2:35 pm Expect more of the independent chains to merge. I am surprised that Stater Bros in SoCal hasn’t considered a combination with another operator.
I am honestly waiting for Broookshire to go after Rouses, who is another AWG customer. Rouses works a bit differently, and the only overlap is in Lafayette and New Iberia, LA. That overlap is between Rouses and Super 1 Foods, which wouldn't be a big strain for them.
JimKarras
Cart Collector
Cart Collector

Post by JimKarras »

With the former Albertsons executives now at the helm at Stater Brothers and with the chain-wide upgrades, it looks to me that they are working to position the chain for a potential M&A deal in the future.

Since the passing of Jack Brown (RIP) , the new team has closed or relocated several older stores to nicer locations, built new stores, and made significant investments in key legacy stores that are or show promise of good ROIs.

I believe Railey’s would be a great partner for Staters but that is just a stab in the dark. Im not sure if Save Mart, Ahold or Albertsons aren’t also in the mind of the new Stater Brothers team as potential candidates.

I really would prefer to see the chain just stay as in independent strong regional operator, but I’m just not sure that is as easy as it once seemed to be for them.

Time will tell.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

JimKarras wrote: November 3rd, 2021, 7:21 pm With the former Albertsons executives now at the helm at Stater Brothers and with the chain-wide upgrades, it looks to me that they are working to position the chain for a potential M&A deal in the future.

Since the passing of Jack Brown (RIP) , the new team has closed or relocated several older stores to nicer locations, built new stores, and made significant investments in key legacy stores that are or show promise of good ROIs.

I believe Railey’s would be a great partner for Staters but that is just a stab in the dark. Im not sure if Save Mart, Ahold or Albertsons aren’t also in the mind of the new Stater Brothers team as potential candidates.

I really would prefer to see the chain just stay as in independent strong regional operator, but I’m just not sure that is as easy as it once seemed to be for them.

Time will tell.
Let's hope the new Stater management likes what they have and will keep it going as long as those who control ownership allow.

Stater is unique and a stronger operator. It is like mixing oil and water the combinations you suggest above for Stater.
Romr123
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by Romr123 »

Exactly right about Stater. In the Coachella Valley, clearly they're the leader for the full-time resident--Ralphs/Vons/Albertsons battle it out for the seasonals/visitors (depending on their bias--S. Cal--Ralphs; N. Cal-Vons/Albertsons). We spent last winter out here and are just finishing up a month....you can save a LOT of time going into Stater (rather than dealing with the mobs at Ralphs/Vons/Albertsons) plus you don't have to fuss with apps/cards. The renovated Valley stores are airy and pleasant, with good (and sufficient) staffing. Quite reminiscent of Market Basket in New England.
veteran+
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by veteran+ »

storewanderer wrote: November 7th, 2021, 8:47 pm
JimKarras wrote: November 3rd, 2021, 7:21 pm With the former Albertsons executives now at the helm at Stater Brothers and with the chain-wide upgrades, it looks to me that they are working to position the chain for a potential M&A deal in the future.

Time will tell.
Let's hope the new Stater management likes what they have and will keep it going as long as those who control ownership allow.

Stater is unique and a stronger operator. It is like mixing oil and water the combinations you suggest above for Stater.
I concur, storewanderer, though Staters is not my thing!

:-)