Brookshire Grocery to buy Reasors

Arizona, Hawaii, Nevada, New Mexico, Oklahoma, and Texas. No non-grocery posts.
wnetmacman
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Brookshire Grocery to buy Reasors

Post by wnetmacman »

I just read a Facebook post; Brookshire Grocery Co is acquiring 17 stores around Tulsa from Reasors. They will keep the Reasors banner, and will be BGC's first presence in Oklahoma, after almost 100 years of operation.

https://www.newson6.com/story/618053757 ... rocery-co-

This will put them close to 200 stores total, between Brookshires, Super 1 Foods, Spring Market, Fresh by Brookshires, and now Reasors.
retailfanmitchell019
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Re: Brookshire Grocery to buy Reasors

Post by retailfanmitchell019 »

A few of the Reasors in Tulsa are former Albertsons. I see no reason why Albertsons left Oklahoma, when those stores were profitable.
Looking at photos, Reasors looks to have very nice stores. I'm hoping Hy-Vee enters Tulsa someday.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

Reasors is about as good as it gets around Tulsa. They initially got one Albertsons in Tulsa, then picked up additional locations when RPCS Food Pyramid went bust around Tulsa. I am surprised it was not arranged for Homeland to take Reasors over so AWG could retain the supply business.

Or does Brookshire Grocery also work with AWG?

I am really surprised Reasors sold. Maybe they know Hy Vee is coming.
wnetmacman
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by wnetmacman »

storewanderer wrote: November 1st, 2021, 9:37 pm Reasors is about as good as it gets around Tulsa. They initially got one Albertsons in Tulsa, then picked up additional locations when RPCS Food Pyramid went bust around Tulsa. I am surprised it was not arranged for Homeland to take Reasors over so AWG could retain the supply business.

Brookshire is largely self-distributing, but works with AWG. Maybe Reasors has reasons for not combining with Homeland. I know competition is scarce there; Winn-Dixie, Albertsons, Safeway and Bakers have all had shares of the OK market. BGC may be looking to backfill the area between Tulsa and the Red River too.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

wnetmacman wrote: November 1st, 2021, 9:42 pm Brookshire is largely self-distributing, but works with AWG. Maybe Reasors has reasons for not combining with Homeland. I know competition is scarce there; Winn-Dixie, Albertsons, Safeway and Bakers have all had shares of the OK market. BGC may be looking to backfill the area between Tulsa and the Red River too.
Homeland's former Safeway units are generally quite dire, but they have done a nice job on remodeling many of the former Albertsons locations and can execute surprisingly better than those former Safeway units would lead one to believe would be possible. Homeland has come a long ways after picking up those Albertsons units. I prefer a remodeled Homeland to a Reasors. Reasors has better pricing than Homeland though, I'll give them that.

Homeland has little overlap with Reasors as they only have one store left in the Tulsa market (Sand Springs- a Cost Plus conversion of a dire former Safeway). That Sand Springs Homeland actually flipped to the Cost Plus format at the same time as the Sand Springs Reasors (which practically shares a parking lot with it) opened. I think getting Reasors was a key piece of the puzzle for Homeland to be dominant throughout OK and I am very surprised they did not end up with it. Tulsa is a big hole for Homeland. But Homeland had other chances to get into Tulsa- back when Albertsons first left, again when RCPS went bust in Tulsa- and they did not do it. Maybe for whatever reason they just do not want to be in Tulsa. I always thought AWG was trying to protest Reasors since Reasors is one of the better operators in OK.
retailfanmitchell019
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by retailfanmitchell019 »

wnetmacman wrote: November 1st, 2021, 9:42 pm
storewanderer wrote: November 1st, 2021, 9:37 pm Reasors is about as good as it gets around Tulsa. They initially got one Albertsons in Tulsa, then picked up additional locations when RPCS Food Pyramid went bust around Tulsa. I am surprised it was not arranged for Homeland to take Reasors over so AWG could retain the supply business.

Brookshire is largely self-distributing, but works with AWG. Maybe Reasors has reasons for not combining with Homeland. I know competition is scarce there; Winn-Dixie, Albertsons, Safeway and Bakers have all had shares of the OK market. BGC may be looking to backfill the area between Tulsa and the Red River too.
Reasor's actually occupies the former Albertsons distribution center in Tulsa.
As Albertsons, this distro supplied the Great Plains (Oklahoma, SW Missouri, Kansas, Omaha, and Iowa) and Mid-South (Tennessee, Northern MS, and lone stores in Hot Springs, AR; Cape Girardeau, MO; and Fort Oglethorpe, GA) divisions. Albertsons sold this distro to Fleming after the Mid-South, SW Missouri, and Kansas stores were sold. The Oklahoma and Omaha stores were supplied from DFW. That's the reason why Albertsons exited Omaha, as Omaha was too far from DFW.
Did Dillons have a presence in Oklahoma by any chance? I think the OKC Baker's stores were sold before Kroger bought them.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

retailfanmitchell019 wrote: November 2nd, 2021, 6:02 pm Reasor's actually occupies the former Albertsons distribution center in Tulsa.
As Albertsons, this distro supplied the Great Plains (Oklahoma, SW Missouri, Kansas, Omaha, and Iowa) and Mid-South (Tennessee, Northern MS, and lone stores in Hot Springs, AR; Cape Girardeau, MO; and Fort Oglethorpe, GA) divisions. Albertsons sold this distro to Fleming after the Mid-South, SW Missouri, and Kansas stores were sold. The Oklahoma and Omaha stores were supplied from DFW. That's the reason why Albertsons exited Omaha, as Omaha was too far from DFW.
Did Dillons have a presence in Oklahoma by any chance? I think the OKC Baker's stores were sold before Kroger bought them.
There were Dillons in OK. I'm not sure when the last one closed but I think it made it into the 00's. It was rural but south of I-44. Where it was escapes me.
wnetmacman
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by wnetmacman »

retailfanmitchell019 wrote: November 2nd, 2021, 6:02 pm
Reasor's actually occupies the former Albertsons distribution center in Tulsa.
Reasor's does not occupy the whole DC, just the offices. The DC is split up over several companies.
cathandler
Front-End Supervisor
Front-End Supervisor

Post by cathandler »

storewanderer wrote: November 1st, 2021, 9:37 pm I am really surprised Reasors sold. Maybe they know Hy Vee is coming.
Even as a member of AWG I imagine a 17-unit chain only has so much clout with suppliers in the midst of a historic supply chain crisis. The appeal of selling out to a larger entity must be more compelling than ever.
wnetmacman
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by wnetmacman »

cathandler wrote: November 2nd, 2021, 11:46 pm
storewanderer wrote: November 1st, 2021, 9:37 pm I am really surprised Reasors sold. Maybe they know Hy Vee is coming.
Even as a member of AWG I imagine a 17-unit chain only has so much clout with suppliers in the midst of a historic supply chain crisis. The appeal of selling out to a larger entity must be more compelling than ever.
The whole reason for being a member of AWG (or any of the other large distributors) is that the distributor has the buying power. Reasor's has been with AWG, but Brookshire uses them for some things as well. The cited reason for the sale was to go to a company that has the same values and goals. Brookshire has about 40 more years of experience and is on the third generation of leadership, with the fourth queuing up in the wings. The addition of distribution from Tyler may also play a role, but BGC also has been known to expand distribution where possible. They will not hesitate to send trucks 3+ hours out.