WinCo private label shortages

Alaska, Colorado, Idaho, Montana, Oregon, Utah, Washington, and Wyoming. No non-grocery posts.
arizonaguy
Store Manager
Store Manager

Re: WinCo private label shortages

Post by arizonaguy »

Brian Lutz wrote: November 11th, 2021, 11:34 am In general Winco's center-store private label items seem to be pretty good (mostly canned goods), but I've definitely had problems with some of their private label perimeter items. I don't buy their milk anymore because I've had it spoil before the expiration date several times, and I've also found mold on some of their bakery products immediately after getting it home from the store. In those cases the cost savings aren't worth the hassle.

That said, I haven't seen shortages of any of the private label products I buy normally.
Out in Arizona they use one of the two vendors that Walmart uses for private label milk (Sarah Farms).
storewanderer

Re: WinCo private label shortages

Post by storewanderer »

There are a few WinCo bakery products I like:

Their "jumbo" or "gourmet" cookies are very good. In multiple flavors.
Their store made cinnamon rolls are not cheap and can be very good, if not a bit too heavy, and a bit too dry. I am not sure how they make them (might use pizza dough) but they are one of the few good store produced cinnamon rolls.

I want to like their french bread (made from scratch) but for some reason I just don't.

Their muffins are a defrost and sell complete crap product yet they have a good variety of flavors and I get lured into them once or twice a year because of it.
Their small cookies are also a defrost and sell.
Many of their cakes are a defrost and sell.
Their loaves of sliced bread are all defrost and sell.

When WinCo was Cub they had a pretty large scratch bakery operation with volume equipment but over the years they've moved to thaw and sell on many items. The new WinCos have a tiny bakery prep area, just one or two oven doors to bake that french bread (and rolls). I think WinCo has low sales in the bakery department. Their bag crate bread variety is very extensive thanks to the old Safeway arrangement which has been continued fairly well by Franz supplying their private label currently.