WinCo private label shortages

Alaska, Colorado, Idaho, Montana, Oregon, Utah, Washington, and Wyoming. No non-grocery posts.
Super S

WinCo private label shortages

Post by Super S »

I went to WinCo for a regular shopping trip last night, and noticed quite a few empty spaces where WinCo private label products usually are. Some items include cookies, aspirin, and various center store items. Frozen had a few private label items missing. Dairy is still fully stocked.

This appears to be limited to WinCo. Similar private label products are still plentiful at Fred Meyer as well as Walmart. It is unclear if WinCo is discontinuing products or if this is temporary.
jamcool
Store Manager
Store Manager

Re: WinCo private label shortages

Post by jamcool »

Hy-Top used to be their private label (it was also Bashas’ private label in AZ, before they became a Topco member)
Super S

Post by Super S »

jamcool wrote: November 10th, 2021, 7:05 pm Hy-Top used to be their private label (it was also Bashas’ private label in AZ, before they became a Topco member)
True, but WinCo hasn't had that in years. They shifted to their own private label brand. Not sure if the current stuff comes from the same suppliers though.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

They seem to be stocked with the expected items in Reno. Have noticed some strange pricing in recent weeks like a 48oz WinCo Vegetable Oil at 4.48 for a few weeks which was higher than name brands and higher than other stores for store brand oil.

In the drug area I have noticed them go from the WinCo brand to various other generics from time to time on like items though, this has been happening for years.

Given WinCo's geography, I often wonder if it would be cheaper for them to go back to a wholesaler private label. They always used Supervalu private labels right up until Supervalu bought Albertsons then they shifted over to Hy Top then not long after went to having the WinCo brand.
HCal
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by HCal »

storewanderer wrote: November 11th, 2021, 12:28 am Given WinCo's geography, I often wonder if it would be cheaper for them to go back to a wholesaler private label. They always used Supervalu private labels right up until Supervalu bought Albertsons then they shifted over to Hy Top then not long after went to having the WinCo brand.
Winco has about 130 locations, but they are very high volume compared to other supermarkets. With $7B in annual revenue, I feel like they are big enough for their own private label branding. That way they have the flexibility to buy from different sources, including directly from manufacturers, and have a consistent brand.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

HCal wrote: November 11th, 2021, 12:40 am
storewanderer wrote: November 11th, 2021, 12:28 am Given WinCo's geography, I often wonder if it would be cheaper for them to go back to a wholesaler private label. They always used Supervalu private labels right up until Supervalu bought Albertsons then they shifted over to Hy Top then not long after went to having the WinCo brand.
Winco has about 130 locations, but they are very high volume compared to other supermarkets. With $7B in annual revenue, I feel like they are big enough for their own private label branding. That way they have the flexibility to buy from different sources, including directly from manufacturers, and have a consistent brand.
I don't find their private label program to be particularly robust. For WinCo with its pricing model, it doesn't have to be. There are often secondary brands or regional brands at attractive prices, below private label items. It just sort of feels like the private label is "there."
veteran+
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by veteran+ »

Super S wrote: November 10th, 2021, 4:00 pm I went to WinCo for a regular shopping trip last night, and noticed quite a few empty spaces where WinCo private label products usually are. Some items include cookies, aspirin, and various center store items. Frozen had a few private label items missing. Dairy is still fully stocked.

This appears to be limited to WinCo. Similar private label products are still plentiful at Fred Meyer as well as Walmart. It is unclear if WinCo is discontinuing products or if this is temporary.
I found the same issue at Trader Joes!
Brian Lutz
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by Brian Lutz »

In general Winco's center-store private label items seem to be pretty good (mostly canned goods), but I've definitely had problems with some of their private label perimeter items. I don't buy their milk anymore because I've had it spoil before the expiration date several times, and I've also found mold on some of their bakery products immediately after getting it home from the store. In those cases the cost savings aren't worth the hassle.

That said, I haven't seen shortages of any of the private label products I buy normally.
Super S

Post by Super S »

Things seemed to be returning to normal with WinCo's private label over the last few months. But tonight I was there for a regular shopping trip and saw a LOT of out of stocks in WinCo's private label throughout the store. Items include: cookies, frozen breakfast items such as waffles, frozen fruit/vegetables, dog biscuits, butter, and the big one was gallons of drinking water, which my local WinCo has been out of for about a month now. They are still stocked well in canned fruits/vegetables, milk, boxed oatmeal and rice mixes, and cleaning supplies.

The water issue baffles me as it appears to be bottled by Andersen, which supplies their milk. But I will say that similar private label items are still in stock at other stores. It looks like WinCo is having supply issues, or is quietly dropping some products.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

I wonder if WinCo is deliberately doing this to up their volume with some of the main brands to get a better deal out of the brands. I also noticed the private label WinCo ice cream was discontinued in Reno (it had a Utah plant code on it) and replaced with a brand called McColl's (this one is produced in California and appears to be a vendor item).