Fred Meyer to cease overnight music broadcast

Alaska, Colorado, Idaho, Montana, Oregon, Utah, Washington, and Wyoming. No non-grocery posts.
SamSpade
Store Manager
Store Manager

Fred Meyer to cease overnight music broadcast

Post by SamSpade »

https://www.kgw.com/article/news/local/ ... 34c793e5ed

Apparently at Gateway, other locations. Loud enough to carry into neighborhoods and nearby homes.
Alpha8472

Re: Fred Meyer to cease overnight music broadcast

Post by Alpha8472 »

I find it strange to broadcast loud music outdoors. I only know of one Walmart (Union City, California) that broadcasts music and that is only on small speakers at the front entrances of the store. There was a time at the beginning of the pandemic when Walmart would blast temporary loudspeakers in the parking lot saying, "To maintain 6 feet distance and wash your hands often." That was when you had to line up outside the Walmart store and there was a limited number of people in the store.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

Most of the Wal Mart locations I've been to in Reno area play loud music outside the store. Some have stopped (probably broke and never got fixed). Some of them play it quite loud and you can hear it well into the parking lot. These stores do not have houses nearby that would notice or care.

This is also a tactic I've seen employed at various convenience stores. It is to prevent loitering. In the case of the convenience stores the music selection is done quite carefully. Put another way, the stuff they are playing, makes you want to move along, quick.

In the case of Wal Mart, the music selection was all over the place with no rhyme or reason I could detect.
mbz321
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by mbz321 »

Couldn't they know, just turn the music down a tad? If nearby residents are able to hear it, yeah, that's way too loud.

One of my local Walmart stores also has music outside, but it certainly isn't that loud to be heard much past the entrance area.
Super S

Post by Super S »

Was this part of the main PA system or a separate feed? I have heard outside music at Walmart but it's only heard about half way across the parking lot, and I have not heard PA announcements. Haven't heard this at my local Fred Meyer.

I lived near a car dealership at one time, and they had a LOUD PA system that could be heard outside a block away every time somebody was paged. No music I could recall though.
Alpha8472

Post by Alpha8472 »

Walmart music seems to be the music from the PA system. So you also get pages and announcements from employees at the store. I have noticed a car dealership near me that has a motion detector security system that turns on the PA system at night and announces loudly, "You are trespassing on private property! Please leave the premises immediately!" The people in the condominium complex and the hotel across the street must be driven crazy every night. It is so loud. The announcement goes off if it is windy and the leaves blow through the parking lot. I was at the Taco Bell next door, and the announcement kept going off every few minutes when it was windy.
BillyGr
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by BillyGr »

Alpha8472 wrote: November 19th, 2021, 12:23 am I have noticed a car dealership near me that has a motion detector security system that turns on the PA system at night and announces loudly, "You are trespassing on private property! Please leave the premises immediately!"
Seems strange, as people have always gone to car lots on off hours/days to look without having to worry about a salesperson bothering them (until they were actually ready to buy).
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

BillyGr wrote: November 20th, 2021, 10:32 am
Alpha8472 wrote: November 19th, 2021, 12:23 am I have noticed a car dealership near me that has a motion detector security system that turns on the PA system at night and announces loudly, "You are trespassing on private property! Please leave the premises immediately!"
Seems strange, as people have always gone to car lots on off hours/days to look without having to worry about a salesperson bothering them (until they were actually ready to buy).
I have heard of this as well. It is due to concerns over vandalism or plotting theft of vehicles. Many dealerships also have private security patrolling the area at night; these motion sensor based systems are used to dispatch the private security to the site.
BillyGr
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by BillyGr »

storewanderer wrote: November 20th, 2021, 10:42 am
I have heard of this as well. It is due to concerns over vandalism or plotting theft of vehicles. Many dealerships also have private security patrolling the area at night; these motion sensor based systems are used to dispatch the private security to the site.
That does make sense (though also may cause issues). I remember one coming through while I was waiting there on a Sunday (to drop off a vehicle for service on Monday) - not that they bothered anyone, just probably checked in to see why someone was there.

But nothing that was audible to the customer there (which also seems to make sense - if someone is going to check it out, why let people know so they can leave and not be spotted if they are actually trying to do something wrong).
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

BillyGr wrote: November 20th, 2021, 10:53 am
storewanderer wrote: November 20th, 2021, 10:42 am

That does make sense (though also may cause issues). I remember one coming through while I was waiting there on a Sunday (to drop off a vehicle for service on Monday) - not that they bothered anyone, just probably checked in to see why someone was there.

But nothing that was audible to the customer there (which also seems to make sense - if someone is going to check it out, why let people know so they can leave and not be spotted if they are actually trying to do something wrong).
That could be a real turn off to people trying to do early/late drop offs for service, especially given the dealerships advertise that service drop off feature and such an announcement or visit from security could be taken as less than welcoming. I suppose the other side of it is, you can be pretty sure your car will be safe sitting there unattended outside until the next morning.