CVS to close 900 stores

storewanderer

Re: CVS to close 900 stores

Post by storewanderer »

Alpha8472 wrote: December 18th, 2022, 9:06 am This was a Mercedes-Benz dealership. CVS took it over several years ago. It was one of the CVS stores totally destroyed by looting during the 2020 riots. This was never a good location in a high crime city.
The fact that CVS did not do a remodel after fixing the store up from the looting was a sign the store was headed for closure.

The CVS that closed on Oddie in Sparks had a fire a few years ago that didn't cause much damage to the building but the sprinklers went off and destroyed the inventory and made a real mess of the entire sales floor. CVS closed temporarily, did a real thorough cleaning on the place, restocked it fully, but didn't remodel it (it had the Longs conversion interior). Whatever CVS did, the carpet was very clean after they reopened. The store had a musty smell and stunk like most old 80's era Longs but that was an issue before and after the fire/reopening. Then closed it last year quietly and quickly.
norcalriteaidclerk
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by norcalriteaidclerk »

https://www.bizjournals.com/sacramento/ ... ranch.html

I wonder if there would still be a Stanford Ranch CVS location had that planned relocated replacement not been blocked by the Rocklin city council years ago.This would leave Santa Clara Valley Fair as the last known intact Long's interior outside of Hawaii though orangevale gets an honorable mention since CVS merely updated wall graphics and aisle markers during the conversions as Payless era tile flooring and traditional checkstands remain intact to this very day.

Sent from my SM-G781U using Tapatalk

For your life,Thrifty and Payless have got it.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

norcalriteaidclerk wrote: December 19th, 2022, 12:46 pm https://www.bizjournals.com/sacramento/ ... ranch.html

I wonder if there would still be a Stanford Ranch CVS location had that planned relocated replacement not been blocked by the Rocklin city council years ago.This would leave Santa Clara Valley Fair as the last known intact Long's interior outside of Hawaii though orangevale gets an honorable mention since CVS merely updated wall graphics and aisle markers during the conversions as Payless era tile flooring and traditional checkstands remain intact to this very day.

Rite Aid in Washogual, WA remains featuring a Longs interior with no modification. Might be another Rite Aid somewhere up there also.

What is interesting about this is that CVS is right by the Stanford Ranch Save Mart (the only new build Albertsons in Sacramento after 2000) which of course just had its pharmacy close. So now that neighborhood has just lost 2 pharmacies in a short time period. Very strange situation. That is a nice neighborhood out there. The CVS was obviously underperforming. Save Mart remodeled its store there, which is always largely deserted, but the numbers on it must work out.
cjd
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by cjd »

I don’t know how CVS stays in business with everything so overpriced (even compared to Walgreens) and just generally not as much selection.

I don’t remember stores like Eckerd Drug being so overpriced before CVS took them over.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

cjd wrote: December 26th, 2022, 6:53 am I don’t know how CVS stays in business with everything so overpriced (even compared to Walgreens) and just generally not as much selection.

I don’t remember stores like Eckerd Drug being so overpriced before CVS took them over.
CVS is only useful for couponing. It has been a great place to coupon. It ebbs and flows like anything but every time I try to withdraw from CVS, I end up sticking around.

I notice over the years I buy less and less there that is not on coupon.

Sometimes I find 90% off items. For instance I recently bought a Halloween Doormat, it was not marked with a price but when I paid it scanned at 1.29 so then the receipt came out and showed regular price of 12.99, then 90% off final price at 1.29. I had a pile of previously purchased doormats and found another CVS Halloween Doormat in that pile from 2018, that one had a price printed right on the tag which said 5.99. Identical size and thickness/material to the one they wanted 12.99 for in 2022. So in my view CVS is becoming less and less competitive.

When CVS bought Sav-On, they had some large rolls of CVS paper towels at .99, some small bags of CVS brand pretzels (they were around 4oz) at .49, and various CVS bagged candy (around 3oz bags) at .99. I felt like they had some solid "value" items in consumable goods. All of that is gone now; their prices have increased exponentially. If you want a quick drink or snack CVS is a fine place to go but you are likely to pay more than you'd pay in a convenience store. Rite Aid still has a lot of promotions on snack/drink items.
Romr123
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by Romr123 »

I very much enjoy the CVS asian-blend snack mix; its pricing has varied over the years, and they have further changed the sizing pretty drastically. Makes you wonder.
mbz321
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by mbz321 »

cjd wrote: December 26th, 2022, 6:53 am I don’t know how CVS stays in business with everything so overpriced (even compared to Walgreens) and just generally not as much selection.

Convenience is pretty much how any of these chain Pharmacies stay in business, and clearly that business model isn't quite working anymore, especially as people become more price sensitive/aware. CVS is definitely the worst however..even basic store-brand OTC pain medicines are double the price of the Walmart store brand.

Funny you mentioned Eckerd as back in the day (around 1997 or so), Thrift Drug stores in the Northeast were rebranded Eckerd, and despite no change in ownership until JCPenney later sold off Eckerd, my folks definitely felt they became much more pricey and we shopped there less and less.

Gone are the days of the real 'discount pharmacies' like Drug Emporium and Pharmor. (Although there are a few small regional holdouts like Discount Drug Mart in Ohio). It's amazing that we've just reached the point of what are basically glorified convenience stores. Honestly if a chain like Dollar General would add in Pharmacy departments, CVS/Rite Aid/Walgreens would be done for.
BillyGr
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by BillyGr »

mbz321 wrote: December 27th, 2022, 6:47 pm Convenience is pretty much how any of these chain Pharmacies stay in business, and clearly that business model isn't quite working anymore, especially as people become more price sensitive/aware. CVS is definitely the worst, however. Even basic store-brand OTC pain medicines are double the price of the Walmart store brand.

Funny you mentioned Eckerd as back in the day (around 1997 or so), Thrift Drug stores in the Northeast were rebranded Eckerd, and despite no change in ownership until JCPenney later sold off Eckerd, my folks definitely felt they became much pricier, and we shopped there less and less.

Gone are the days of the real 'discount pharmacies' like Drug Emporium and Pharmor. (Although there are a few small regional holdouts like Discount Drug Mart in Ohio). It's amazing that we've just reached the point of what are basically glorified convenience stores. Honestly if a chain like Dollar General would add in Pharmacy departments, CVS/Rite Aid/Walgreens would be done for.
Makes sense, particularly when you have areas where there is a CVS (or other similar store), but Walmart is not in the area.

Then, it becomes (for some) worth grabbing items in the drugstore rather than making the trip elsewhere.
mburb1981
Produce Clerk
Produce Clerk

Post by mburb1981 »

The CVS on Ashland Avenue in Chicago's Wicker Park neighborhood will close in March.
https://blockclubchicago.org/2023/01/19 ... -in-march/

This development comes less than a month after Walgreens announced it would close its Wicker Park store. Coincidentally, both stores are housed in former bank buildings.
Super S

Post by Super S »

storewanderer wrote: December 20th, 2022, 1:36 am
norcalriteaidclerk wrote: December 19th, 2022, 12:46 pm https://www.bizjournals.com/sacramento/ ... ranch.html

Rite Aid in Washogual, WA remains featuring a Longs interior with no modification. Might be another Rite Aid somewhere up there also.

What is interesting about this is that CVS is right by the Stanford Ranch Save Mart (the only new build Albertsons in Sacramento after 2000) which of course just had its pharmacy close. So now that neighborhood has just lost 2 pharmacies in a short time period. Very strange situation. That is a nice neighborhood out there. The CVS was obviously underperforming. Save Mart remodeled its store there, which is always largely deserted, but the numbers on it must work out.
The only other Longs store that was ever in Southwest Washington was in Salmon Creek, next to Albertsons. It was not acquired by Rite Aid and is now a Goodwill store. Ironically, Rite Aid once had a store in Hazel Dell which was a former PayLess. Rite Aid had plans for a new store at one point, but abandoned them, and closed the existing store a few years later with no replacement.

Rite Aid actually has a very weak presence in Vancouver, with only two locations.

There was a Rite Aid somewhere up north that still had a Pay 'N Save interior for quite some time after becoming Rite Aid, in either Kent or Des Moines. I am not sure of the exact location though, or if it is still open.