CVS to close 900 stores

Alpha8472

Re: CVS to close 900 stores

Post by Alpha8472 »

Walgreens is busy in the San Francisco Bay Area due to many factors. There are so many rich tech people and other wealthy people that they just pay the outrageous prices. There is so little choice with regard to cheaper items. People would rather pay more for the convenience than drive to a Walmart where everything is locked up and you cannot find someone with a key.

The Rite Aid and CVS stores seem busier as the prices seem a little better than Walgreens. I have no idea why Walgreens is so high priced. It is like a convenience store. People in San Francisco seem to use Walgreens for much of their shopping as many of them have no cars and cannot travel easily to somewhere cheaper. The tourists seem to love Walgreens and will spend like crazy.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

Over at Grafe Auction, I see a number of drugstore auctions. These are closed CVS Stores.

Most appear to have just been remodeled with new carpet, the white walls, black department signs (except red walls at pharmacy), and new flooring around refrigeration. I find it very interesting they close stores they just remodeled.

Lemont, IL 12720 Archer
Jackson, MS 914 N. State
San Jose, CA 1097 Leigh
Brockton, MA 230 E. Ashland
Clarksville, IN 1404 Blackiston Mill
Taylor, AZ (transferred prescriptions to a CVS in Show Low, AZ 18 miles away)
Moraga, CA 1480 Moraga Road
norcalriteaidclerk
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by norcalriteaidclerk »

storewanderer wrote:Over at Grafe Auction, I see a number of drugstore auctions. These are closed CVS Stores.

Most appear to have just been remodeled with new carpet, the white walls, black department signs (except red walls at pharmacy), and new flooring around refrigeration. I find it very interesting they close stores they just remodeled.

Lemont, IL 12720 Archer
Jackson, MS 914 N. State
San Jose, CA 1097 Leigh
San José Leigh was among the roughly 35 Payless locations that Rite Aid sold to longs in fall 1999.Of the others in that same deal San Pablo and Fresno north marks never made it to the CVS merger,while Oakland rockridge was lost to redevelopment within the past decade,and San Jose Westgate was replaced by a smaller freestanding store nearby.

Sent from my SM-G781U using Tapatalk

For your life,Thrifty and Payless have got it.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

norcalriteaidclerk wrote: June 13th, 2022, 12:30 am
storewanderer wrote:Over at Grafe Auction, I see a number of drugstore auctions. These are closed CVS Stores.

Lemont, IL 12720 Archer
Jackson, MS 914 N. State
San Jose, CA 1097 Leigh
San José Leigh was among the roughly 35 Payless locations that Rite Aid sold to longs in fall 1999.Of the others in that same deal San Pablo and Fresno north marks never made it to the CVS merger,while Oakland rockridge was lost to redevelopment within the past decade,and San Jose Westgate was replaced by a smaller freestanding store nearby.

Looking at San Jose Leigh on Google Maps I can see some photos of the store before it was remodeled. It has terrazzo floors- whiteish in sales floor and black over in liquor. That sure seems like a Thrifty floor. But the store is WAY too big to be a Thrifty or have ever been a Thrifty. Liquor license also confirms it was a Payless and layout does look like Roseville-Foothills Payless or North Highlands-Watt Payless. What is funny is I was in that store when it was Longs and assumed it was an old Longs, I had no clue it was a Payless. There was an Albertsons next to it, closed by Cerberus, that still had Alpha Beta interior when closed.
norcalriteaidclerk
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

I do recall on an old Flickr posting reading that 1097 Leigh wasn't an original Payless but was actually an a 1970's Sav-On from their short-lived foray into northern California.They pulled out in 1987,swapping most locations to Longs Drugs(Meridian/Branham in south San Jose and Saratoga/Pruneridge in Santa Clara are known to be among such locations,both still operate as CVS)for the latter's Arizona locations.For reasons unknown,1097 Leigh went to Payless and though a larger footprint than a typical Thrifty was still small enough that it didn't carry certain items normally sold at a typical Payless(apparel for example)as evidenced from disclaimers in late 1980's- early 1990's print ads.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

norcalriteaidclerk wrote: June 14th, 2022, 12:59 pm I do recall on an old Flickr posting reading that 1097 Leigh wasn't an original Payless but was actually an a 1970's Sav-On from their short-lived foray into northern California.They pulled out in 1987,swapping most locations to Longs Drugs(Meridian/Branham in south San Jose and Saratoga/Pruneridge in Santa Clara are known to be among such locations,both still operate as CVS)for the latter's Arizona locations.For reasons unknown,1097 Leigh went to Payless and though a larger footprint than a typical Thrifty was still small enough that it didn't carry certain items normally sold at a typical Payless(apparel for example)as evidenced from disclaimers in late 1980's- early 1990's print ads.
That makes a lot more sense. That explains why there is no garden center attached to the store. And that store does have the layout of many SoCal Sav-On units actually. Longs got some Sav-On units in Bakersfield too, not sure if it was in that same deal or later.
mburb1981
Produce Clerk
Produce Clerk

Post by mburb1981 »

Two other Michigan closures from earlier this year: a CVS in Lincoln Park (that is across the street from a Meijer, and thus may have been done in by Meijer's pharmacy) and a CVS in Wyandotte (in the downtown area there, which is already receiving two apartment-box redevelopment projects, so I wouldn't be surprised if that also gets torn down for an apartment box). Both stores dated back to the Arbor Drugs days.
mburb1981
Produce Clerk
Produce Clerk

Post by mburb1981 »

Yet another Michigan closure that went unnoticed: Warren and Venoy in Westland closed on May 3. This was yet another ex-Arbor Drugs strip mall location.
reymann
Personnel Manager
Personnel Manager

Post by reymann »

The CVS in downtown Fresno on Fulton street is slated to close next month. Originally opened as a Longs in 1973 and all prescriptions will be moved to the First/Shields location.
norcalriteaidclerk
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

reymann wrote:The CVS in downtown Fresno on Fulton street is slated to close next month. Originally opened as a Longs in 1973 and all prescriptions will be moved to the First/Shields location.
Baffling that we're not hearing about very many CVS closures in the Golden State (outside of the Bay area) despite them having more California locations than the competition (even without counting Target pharmacies which they operate). You'd think they've closed more California locations than RAD the past ten months and not the other way around(have yet to hear of a local CVS closure in my media market while RAD has closed seven if you count Tracy valpico which was on the bleeding edge of the Sacramento-Stockton-Modesto TV market).Very baffling to me for more reasons than one.