CVS to close 900 stores

storewanderer

Re: CVS to close 900 stores

Post by storewanderer »

norcalriteaidclerk wrote: August 10th, 2022, 6:55 pm
reymann wrote:The CVS in downtown Fresno on Fulton street is slated to close next month. Originally opened as a Longs in 1973 and all prescriptions will be moved to the First/Shields location.
Baffling that we're not hearing about very many CVS closures in the Golden State (outside of the Bay area) despite them having more California locations than the competition (even without counting Target pharmacies which they operate). You'd think they've closed more California locations than RAD the past ten months and not the other way around(have yet to hear of a local CVS closure in my media market while RAD has closed seven if you count Tracy valpico which was on the bleeding edge of the Sacramento-Stockton-Modesto TV market).Very baffling to me for more reasons than one.

Sent from my SM-G781U using Tapatalk
CVS runs some very low volume stores. They are masters at controlling expenses. The one that closed in Sparks was a bad store in a historically bad neighborhood (I think it has been improving). CVS will keep bad stores open if a Walgreens is nearby just to not cede a busy intersection (but in Sparks on Oddie they even gave that up).
reymann
Personnel Manager
Personnel Manager

Post by reymann »

I feel like CVS is ramping down operations in former Longs locations that don't have drive thru at this point and closing those locations as leases are near expiration.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

reymann wrote: August 10th, 2022, 10:48 pm I feel like CVS is ramping down operations in former Longs locations that don't have drive thru at this point and closing those locations as leases are near expiration.
I thought so too but they just rolled through Reno area and remodeled more of those dive stores. One of them has nice new carpet and wall signs but still no working air conditioner, this is like the 6th straight summer of this at that store; CVS owns the building; bunch of floor based swamp cooler type units are in place, the place smells like an aquarium and feels like a humid sauna inside.

They skipped over remodeling a few locations that do have drive throughs though (all in poorer neighborhoods) and one super low volume strip mall location.
reymann
Personnel Manager
Personnel Manager

Post by reymann »

there's only a handful of CVS stores around Fresno left that are in a former Longs with no drive-thru and they are mostly in the higher end of town that do higher volumes.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

reymann wrote: August 10th, 2022, 11:24 pm there's only a handful of CVS stores around Fresno left that are in a former Longs with no drive-thru and they are mostly in the higher end of town that do higher volumes.
So CVS actually built relocations in Fresno? Or just closed a bunch of stores?

We have many of those great former Longs with no drive through left in Reno:
California Ave.
3360 S. McCarran
5310 S. McCarran
Lemmon Drive (unremodeled still... but got 1 self checkout)
Vista-Sparks (unremodeled still... but got 1 self checkout)
Highway 50 East Carson City

Of these dives the only one that Longs remodeled in the 00's was California Ave. The others were straight out of the 80's (3360 S. McCarran, Lemmon were former Thriftys reopened by Longs in the mid 90's but looked like 1980 inside when they opened as Longs) (Highway 50 East was built by Longs in the mid 90's but also looked like 1980 inside when opened). I guess Vista did open in the 00's but also looked like 1980 inside. Longs is a chain I do not miss much.
reymann
Personnel Manager
Personnel Manager

Post by reymann »

They have built some relocations around Fresno. I'm just waiting to see if they decide to try to shrink store space in any future remodels of these stores.
retailfanmitchell019
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by retailfanmitchell019 »

News is late, but...
CVS closed a store in Moorhead, MN. This is a former Osco (was a Buttrey-Osco combo store at one point). As such, this was the only Albertsons-operated store to exist in Minnesota (not counting Supervalu/Cub).
https://www.thefmextra.com/southside-cv ... se-feb-25/
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

reymann wrote: August 11th, 2022, 4:49 am They have built some relocations around Fresno. I'm just waiting to see if they decide to try to shrink store space in any future remodels of these stores.
For some reason CVS doesn't seem to shrink stores. They really should shrink most of their stores down to about 8k square feet. It is the perfect size for them.

They did replace two Sav-Ons in Reno. One was due to redevelopment and the other was falling apart. The replacements are barely 10k square feet but they flow well and offer everything CVS has to offer.
mburb1981
Produce Clerk
Produce Clerk

Post by mburb1981 »

CVS has just closed the store at the Southgate Shopping Center in Southgate, Michigan. This was an Arbor Drugs that was built during the Arbor-CVS merger, making it one of the last Arbors to ever open.

Additionally, the CVS at Goddard and Pardee in Taylor is closing this Monday. As the norm for Michigan closures, this is an ex-Arbor in a strip mall.
Alpha8472

Post by Alpha8472 »

CVS in Emeryville, California is closing September 8. The pharmacy records will be sent to the CVS inside of the Target in the same city. Nearby San Francisco lost 6 CVS stores in January and 1 in downtown Berkeley in June.