CVS to close 900 stores

norcalriteaidclerk
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Re: CVS to close 900 stores

Post by norcalriteaidclerk »

storewanderer wrote:CVS has completed another batch of remodels around Reno. Now every store has been remodeled to the white wall-black department sign interior with the exception of the store in Sun Valley (former RA1) which still has the CVS Longs Conversion era interior.

What is interesting in this last batch of remodels they did not update any exterior signs to have the heart logo as they had been doing on the previous batch of remodels they did a couple years ago.
The one original build Rancho Cordova store that opened just before the local Long's conversions began actually got this remodel in the summer of 2016 but the original exterior signs have remained untouched.West El Camino was similarly second remodeled years ago but only the roadside signs were updated to the heart logo with the facade signage remains intact.

Sent from my SM-G781U using Tapatalk

For your life,Thrifty and Payless have got it.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

norcalriteaidclerk wrote: November 24th, 2022, 12:12 am
storewanderer wrote:CVS has completed another batch of remodels around Reno. Now every store has been remodeled to the white wall-black department sign interior with the exception of the store in Sun Valley (former RA1) which still has the CVS Longs Conversion era interior.

What is interesting in this last batch of remodels they did not update any exterior signs to have the heart logo as they had been doing on the previous batch of remodels they did a couple years ago.
The one original build Rancho Cordova store that opened just before the local Long's conversions began actually got this remodel in the summer of 2016 but the original exterior signs have remained untouched.West El Camino was similarly second remodeled years ago but only the roadside signs were updated to the heart logo with the facade signage remains intact.

You're right. The first store in Reno to get that second CVS remodel was California Ave. Longs in Reno and they did not replace exterior signs there. I'm not sure if it was in 2016 or it was in 2017 but it was a while ago they remodeled that one (very busy store but nothing close to how it was as Longs).

Then they did the second CVS remodel to Reno Robb (RA1) and Reno South Virginia (RA1) a few years ago and replaced the exterior signs to have the heart logo.

So it seems they have gone back and forth on putting the new logo signs up that have the heart logo when they do a remodel.
architect
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by architect »

storewanderer wrote: November 24th, 2022, 1:42 am

You're right. The first store in Reno to get that second CVS remodel was California Ave. Longs in Reno and they did not replace exterior signs there. I'm not sure if it was in 2016 or it was in 2017 but it was a while ago they remodeled that one (very busy store but nothing close to how it was as Longs).

Then they did the second CVS remodel to Reno Robb (RA1) and Reno South Virginia (RA1) a few years ago and replaced the exterior signs to have the heart logo.

So it seems they have gone back and forth on putting the new logo signs up that have the heart logo when they do a remodel.
In some cases, certain cities or jurisdictions will have arduous signage permitting requirements which (as a practical matter) discourage businesses from updating signage until absolutely necessary. I have seen this in my area with some Target stores, where a store has been extensively remodeled but exterior signage has not been updated.
ClownLoach
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by ClownLoach »

storewanderer wrote: November 24th, 2022, 1:42 am

What doesn't make sense to me is the replacement of the entire sign to add the "heart" and remove the "slash.". It seems like CVS hired a sign company that couldn't handle making adjustments so they would just throw it all in the trash and start from scratch. If this kind of reworking was necessary to upgrade from old neon to LED that would be a good explanation, otherwise it just seemed wasteful to replace the entire sign. The old LED retrofit kits many sign companies used to update frames designed for neon were basically Christmas lights and packing tape - many of these kits don't hold up well over time. Maybe these signs not being changed out are already LED inside?
norcalriteaidclerk
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

storewanderer wrote:

One odd example is 1st/main in Santa Ana.It hasn't yet been remodeled into the current interior scheme(has Long's transition decor though I'm certain it wasn't previously one),but has received the heart logo exterior signage as in recent years has been rebranded into the 'cvs pharmacy y más' format.

storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

CVS y Mas doesn't really do much, it has a few extra consumable items and some lower prices but not much separates it from a typical CVS. Navarro in Miami on the other hand, completely different store, that just so happens to be supplied by CVS (among other suppliers). I think Longs in Hawaii is handled similar to Navarro.
norcalriteaidclerk
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

https://www.sfgate.com/local/article/cv ... 657200.php

I must note that pre-acquisition Long's had Bay area locations close to each other even then.

Alpha8472

Post by Alpha8472 »

The CVS that is closing in downtown Oakland is only 2 blocks away from a small format Target with a CVS inside. Target is required to have a CVS Pharmacy inside. That one will not be allowed to close unless the Target store closes as well.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

This is a strange looking CVS, it looks like a store CVS opened on its own. I see it has not had the recent remodel or self checkout added so the closure on this seems to come as no surprise.
Alpha8472

Post by Alpha8472 »

This was a Mercedes-Benz dealership. CVS took it over several years ago. It was one of the CVS stores totally destroyed by looting during the 2020 riots. This was never a good location in a high crime city.