Speedway/7-Eleven integration

Gas stations & convenience stores (AM/PM, 7-Eleven, etc.)
jamcool
Store Manager
Store Manager

Re: Speedway/7-Eleven integration

Post by jamcool »

I think 7-11 doesn’t really know what to do with Speedway….a lot of their locations have too small a building to put in a full 7-11 operation, like the old Hess sites on the East Coast and the former Giant sites in the Southwest. (Like in Tucson, where there are actually Speedway stations on Speedway Boulevard!)
Alpha8472

Post by Alpha8472 »

There are many Speedway Express locations in California that were USA Gas. Those only have a small cashier booth or an extremely small convenience store. They are not big enough for a 7-Eleven.

The Speedway Express locations do not even have consistent items for sale. Some have no drink machines, and do not seem to have Slurpees. They have a different brand of slushy drink that is not carbonated. It is called Frazil.
BillyGr
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by BillyGr »

jamcool wrote: November 21st, 2022, 2:41 pm I think 7-11 doesn’t really know what to do with Speedway….a lot of their locations have too small a building to put in a full 7-11 operation, like the old Hess sites on the East Coast and the former Giant sites in the Southwest. (Like in Tucson, where there are actually Speedway stations on Speedway Boulevard!)
They seem to do OK with that - the smaller spots just have what they can fit (for instance, one here only has coffee brewing machines, and a tiny ice maker for iced coffee, nothing else). Larger spots get more options.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

jamcool wrote: November 21st, 2022, 2:41 pm I think 7-11 doesn’t really know what to do with Speedway….a lot of their locations have too small a building to put in a full 7-11 operation, like the old Hess sites on the East Coast and the former Giant sites in the Southwest. (Like in Tucson, where there are actually Speedway stations on Speedway Boulevard!)
They are likely to give those small stores to independent operators and control the fuel but not brand the stores as 7-Eleven. This is how they handled the Valero Corner Store acquisition in CA they made (before Corner Store sold its whole company to Circle K). Very few of those actually got converted to 7-Eleven. Not sure why they made that acquisition. I wish those had ended up with Circle K instead.