Speedway/7-Eleven integration

Gas stations & convenience stores (AM/PM, 7-Eleven, etc.)
ClownLoach
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Re: Speedway/7-Eleven integration

Post by ClownLoach »

Speedway by me still had Speedy Freeze for 89 cents any size a couple days ago. No rebranding
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

ClownLoach wrote: December 13th, 2021, 11:25 pm Speedway by me still had Speedy Freeze for 89 cents any size a couple days ago. No rebranding
It varies around Sacramento. Some stores have a sign package showing Slurpee and Big Gulp now available (at gas pumps). Some have a sign above the soda machine with a photo of Big Gulp cups. Every slushie machine continues to say Speedy Freeze.

I have yet to see any new cups and pricing continues to be .89 for any cup soda or freeze.

I don't think Speedy Freeze and Slurpee are the same thing. The density/thickness/air level of the two products seems to vary. The slurpee is dispensed via a machine through a plastic nozzle while the Speedy Freeze is dispensed via machines with metal/steel nozzles. So I think to convert these machines over to Slurpee there is more that needs to happen than installing some signs and bringing in new cups.

Also finally got an offer again on the Speedway gas pump for a free "medium fountain drink." Hadn't seen an offer pop up for a while, it used to be more frequent (have to enter loyalty card on gas pump then while fueling a message will pop up to press button to claim your free item redeemable immediately inside store).
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

Now the window/promotional signs at Speedway are just 7-Eleven promotional signs (green).

They do have one sign with a "fresh or free coffee 24 hours" promise showing pictures of a Speedway cup. 7-Eleven has been advertising this fresh or free coffee thing too. I have 2 comments on that:
1. Speedway's coffee machines are those ones that have the beans and the machine grinds the beans and makes your coffee immediately when you go to the machine. So yes, the coffee will absolutely be fresh. Speedway doesn't hold any coffee in pots like 7-Eleven does. So offering this "guarantee" is completely meaningless at Speedway given the equipment Speedway invested in. Circle K has also invested in that equipment, as has Maverik. 7-Eleven obviously does not know much about Speedway's coffee program. Sorry 7-Eleven has such a poor reputation for coffee freshness they feel the need to do a "fresh or free" guarantee- they'd be better off replacing their equipment. Hopefully they don't take the Speedway locations backwards to the 7-Eleven open pot program.
2. Many Speedway locations are not "open 24 hours."

The promotion signs 7-Eleven puts on the shelves or cooler racks with product are little 2 inch by 1 inch signs you can barely see. The old Speedway promotional signs on shelves or coolers were large about 3 inches by 5 inches in size.

Also noticed some 7-Eleven products. Packaged cookies and bottled water, "7-Select" brand. I guess selling "Enon (city in Ohio where Speedway was HQ) Springs" water in CA probably did not make much sense.
pseudo3d

Post by pseudo3d »

storewanderer wrote: January 9th, 2022, 11:45 pm Now the window/promotional signs at Speedway are just 7-Eleven promotional signs (green).

They do have one sign with a "fresh or free coffee 24 hours" promise showing pictures of a Speedway cup. 7-Eleven has been advertising this fresh or free coffee thing too. I have 2 comments on that:
1. Speedway's coffee machines are those ones that have the beans and the machine grinds the beans and makes your coffee immediately when you go to the machine. So yes, the coffee will absolutely be fresh. Speedway doesn't hold any coffee in pots like 7-Eleven does. So offering this "guarantee" is completely meaningless at Speedway given the equipment Speedway invested in. Circle K has also invested in that equipment, as has Maverik. 7-Eleven obviously does not know much about Speedway's coffee program. Sorry 7-Eleven has such a poor reputation for coffee freshness they feel the need to do a "fresh or free" guarantee- they'd be better off replacing their equipment. Hopefully they don't take the Speedway locations backwards to the 7-Eleven open pot program.
2. Many Speedway locations are not "open 24 hours."

The promotion signs 7-Eleven puts on the shelves or cooler racks with product are little 2 inch by 1 inch signs you can barely see. The old Speedway promotional signs on shelves or coolers were large about 3 inches by 5 inches in size.

Also noticed some 7-Eleven products. Packaged cookies and bottled water, "7-Select" brand. I guess selling "Enon (city in Ohio where Speedway was HQ) Springs" water in CA probably did not make much sense.
My local 7-Eleven (put in sometime during the Stripes/7-Eleven conversion, before the Speedway buyout) has pots but also the same instant-grind machine you describe. I believe the new builds in Houston (et. al.) have the same system. Obviously, 7-Eleven has extremely uneven stores and it makes more sense in areas with less consistent coffee.

About five years ago, when the only 7-Eleven in town was the TETCO store (7-Eleven in all but name, and it finally converted this year after like seven years), the coffee was brewed in tanks, but I often found the execution inconsistent. Some days it would be fantastic, other days not so much...
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

pseudo3d wrote: January 10th, 2022, 9:21 am
My local 7-Eleven (put in sometime during the Stripes/7-Eleven conversion, before the Speedway buyout) has pots but also the same instant-grind machine you describe. I believe the new builds in Houston (et. al.) have the same system. Obviously, 7-Eleven has extremely uneven stores and it makes more sense in areas with less consistent coffee.

About five years ago, when the only 7-Eleven in town was the TETCO store (7-Eleven in all but name, and it finally converted this year after like seven years), the coffee was brewed in tanks, but I often found the execution inconsistent. Some days it would be fantastic, other days not so much...
I feel like tanks came and went quickly from some 7-Elevens in my area. They were those plastic tanks that looked like what a hotel continental breakfast had. I think the problem with the tanks is when you hold it too long it turns sort of lukewarm. It is also difficult for the employee to see from a distance what is empty and what isn't (a must at these franchise 7-Elevens where there is often only one employee on duty who is behind the register 90% of the time). They just have coffee pots open air sitting there on a warm machine. It looks the same as it did 30 years ago.

I did actually think 7-Eleven had decent coffee... can't speak for the one at Speedway as I never tried it. Not many people are buying it in CA but Speedway in CA does not have the traction it had in other regions.
pseudo3d

Post by pseudo3d »

storewanderer wrote: January 10th, 2022, 11:13 pm
pseudo3d wrote: January 10th, 2022, 9:21 am

I feel like tanks came and went quickly from some 7-Elevens in my area. They were those plastic tanks that looked like what a hotel continental breakfast had. I think the problem with the tanks is when you hold it too long it turns sort of lukewarm. It is also difficult for the employee to see from a distance what is empty and what isn't (a must at these franchise 7-Elevens where there is often only one employee on duty who is behind the register 90% of the time). They just have coffee pots open air sitting there on a warm machine. It looks the same as it did 30 years ago.

I did actually think 7-Eleven had decent coffee... can't speak for the one at Speedway as I never tried it. Not many people are buying it in CA but Speedway in CA does not have the traction it had in other regions.
Oh, you actually meant like pot-pots, like the type that typically comes with a cheap drip coffee maker. No, I meant the big metal containers that most other convenience stores have.

I rarely see the traditional open-pour pots, except in lower-end, non-chain stores. People talk about how different the Japanese 7-Eleven stores, but it seems like there are wildly different stores even in the same country. :?
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

pseudo3d wrote: January 12th, 2022, 12:01 am

Oh, you actually meant like pot-pots, like the type that typically comes with a cheap drip coffee maker. No, I meant the big metal containers that most other convenience stores have.

I rarely see the traditional open-pour pots, except in lower-end, non-chain stores. People talk about how different the Japanese 7-Eleven stores, but it seems like there are wildly different stores even in the same country. :?
Yes, this is how they are set up.
http://www.wegotcoffee.com/wp-content/u ... allery.jpg

That looks about like the current pricing too (WAY too high).

They have a couple locations in my area they remodeled somewhat recently. I will have to see if they made any changes.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

Loving this integration they have going on. Gas prices as high as Chevron/Shell. Various new 7-Eleven items in the store, just sort of thrown onto the shelves. Fewer promotions than the few the actual 7-Elevens have.

Not sure what they are charging for fountain soda/tea but the signs Speedway had about any size .89 have been all removed and no new price signs posted (looked at multiple locations).

The Speedy Freeze machines have been rebranded a Slurpee machine but the product coming out of them is still a Speedy Freeze (which is less airy than a Slurpee). Speedy Freeze was previously any size .89 and Speedway always priced it the same as soda. 7-Eleven wants nothing to do with that. They have implemented their own pricing. 1.79 for the smallest available cup Speedway has in CA (a 22oz)... They now advertise a 12oz for $1 (but Speedway does not have any 12oz cups) and then go as far up as $2.39 for a 52oz (Speedway in CA does not have any 52oz cups).

Glad BP has pushed all of the NorCal AM PMs I see to accept credit cards for purchases and in my limited sample so far no hassles/refusals trying to use credit inside for small purchases like I encountered in WA 10+ years ago when BP rolled it out up there. RIP to Speedway; it was nice while it lasted.
Attachments
20220205_160310.jpg
BillyGr
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by BillyGr »

They might have 12 oz. coffee cups that would work? Those are usually in the Speedway stores around here (and usually around the same price when no sales are running).
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

BillyGr wrote: February 15th, 2022, 3:07 pm They might have 12 oz. coffee cups that would work? Those are usually in the Speedway stores around here (and usually around the same price when no sales are running).
The smallest coffee I have seen in CA Speedways is a 16 ounce, currently 1.79 (was .99 before 7-Eleven came along but I think Speedway actually pushed the increase before the merger was official and at the same time they installed those "grind and brew by the cup" machines).

To be fair there are not many people selling coffee for .99 in CA... but there are others if you know where to look. Speedway was pricing all dispensed beverages under market. 7-Eleven is taking care of that real quick, great work. Luckily there is still enough competition that many others are out there who didn't double or more than double their prices overnight. Will be interesting to see if AM PM keeps promotions strong now that Speedway is (in all but name) gone.