Locked Restrooms

This is the place for general and miscellaneous posts on topics which might extend past the boundaries of any specific region. No non-grocery posts.
Bagels
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Re: Locked Restrooms

Post by Bagels »

storewanderer wrote: November 30th, 2021, 12:28 am
veteran+ wrote: November 29th, 2021, 6:01 am Bathrooms have been locked for quite a long time in S. Cali. (at least in grocery stores), regardless of neighborhood (as far back as 2006).

Ralphs, Ralphs Fresh Fare
Vons, Pavilions
Fresh & Easy
Trader Joes
Sprouts
Whole Foods

........that I know of.
Have not found this to be the case up around Santa Barbara/SLO area, Orange County or San Diego as a rule but only as an exception... can think of a few examples like the Albertsons in Downtown San Diego that have been locked for years, or the Ralphs in Downtown Los Angeles...

Can't speak for F&E in SoCal but they were not locked in NorCal.
All of the Ralphs near me (South OC) received keypads circa 2019 and were subsequently locked but today it's a mixed bag between stores that lock their restrooms and stores that don't. And Ralphs isn't the only retailer to start locking its restrooms.

The restrooms are more trashed today than ever before. For example, In the mens room, I've seen occasions where people have defecated on the floor, urinal, sink, etc. They look like inner-city restrooms... problems that didn't exist before. Probably an increase in homeless, theft, etc. also contribute.
TW-Upstate NY
Shift Manager
Shift Manager

Post by TW-Upstate NY »

There's a Cumberland Farms where I used to work that was remodeled and they did away with separate mens and ladies rooms and replaced them with a single restroom. It's not located in a great area and they probably figured if the place is going to get trashed anyway, it's cheaper to replace stuff in one restroom than it is two. To my knowledge, it's never been locked but the store is small enough that the clerk has a pretty clear sight line from the cash register so they can keep an eye on it.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

storewanderer wrote: November 30th, 2021, 12:28 am
veteran+ wrote: November 29th, 2021, 6:01 am Bathrooms have been locked for quite a long time in S. Cali. (at least in grocery stores), regardless of neighborhood (as far back as 2006).

Ralphs, Ralphs Fresh Fare
Vons, Pavilions
Fresh & Easy
Trader Joes
Sprouts
Whole Foods

Was in multiple Ralphs, Ralphs Fresh Fare, Pavilions the past week- restrooms wide open. I must have been in the right neighborhoods. Was actually surprised with one of the locations having it open as there was uniformed security present at entry.