Macy's Closing 10 Stores in January 2022

Predicting the demise of Sears & Kmart since 2017!
architect
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Re: Macy's Closing 10 Stores in January 2022

Post by architect »

Supposed list of store closings to be announced tomorrow: Macy's Corporate Site

Most of these are not surprising, but a couple are.

San Jacinto Mall in Baytown has been demolished and is in the process of redevelopment. Originally, Macy's was planned to remain a part of the development, but last year, the developer revised their plans with the understanding that Macy's would not be moving forward with this store. This closure is not surprising in the least, as the store has seen much better days condition-wise, and the surrounding area is mostly working-class.

The Streets at Southglenn store is a part of a successful mixed-use development build on a former mall site some years ago, but unfortunately, the store has seen little investment from Macy's to truly make it successful. I visited this store several years ago and at the time, substantial portions of the store has been blocked off with walls running 3/4 of the way to the ceiling, and many major brands normally found at a Macy's were nowhere to be found. Additionally, the store takes the cake as the most disgusting Macy's that I've ever seen. Southglenn's owner is purchasing the property for redevelopment, most likely as a residential component to provide a built-in customer base for the other retailers and restaurants in the development. Another closure which is not surprising. From what I have seen in the 29th Street district of Boulder, that closure likely follows a similar story of the land being far more valuable than the store.

Brookwood Village is also unsurprising, considering that the mall is mostly dead at this point, and there is a much more successful Macy's found at the Riverchase Galleria in Hoover.

The most surprising to me is Puente Hills, as despite the mall's struggles, it seems to have a decent tenant lineup and isn't quite at dead mall status. There are other stores (aka Gwinnett Place, Pittsburgh Mills, Metro North, etc.) which are tied to dead or no longer existing malls which I would have expected to close long before this one.
Blueboy8

Post by Blueboy8 »

You know what kills me about Macy’s is that they don’t seem to know what they doing right now. They have TONS of stores that they neglect.
I don’t like that there are some Macy’s stores that are like Walmart. Very messy/dirty, absolutely no associates and outdated. These locations are also usually older and in dead malls. Then on the flipside there are the amazing Macy’s locations that provide the best of the company. The flagships and the high-performing stores have great brands! Beautifully kept up and amazing customer service!
They need to renovate their stores and close their bad ones.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

Blueboy8 wrote: January 4th, 2022, 7:15 pm You know what kills me about Macy’s is that they don’t seem to know what they doing right now. They have TONS of stores that they neglect.
I don’t like that there are some Macy’s stores that are like Walmart. Very messy/dirty, absolutely no associates and outdated. These locations are also usually older and in dead malls. Then on the flipside there are the amazing Macy’s locations that provide the best of the company. The flagships and the high-performing stores have great brands! Beautifully kept up and amazing customer service!
They need to renovate their stores and close their bad ones.
In some cases it is different areas within the same store they neglect. In Reno they have a women's/kid's store that is two levels. The ground level received some pretty good renovations over the past couple years and it looks great, also has some brands highlighted. Move up to the second floor (kid's/backstage/other women's clothing) and it looks the same as it did in the 70's when it opened. Then there is the separate men's store in the same mall. That entire store hasn't been touched much since the 80's when they took the building over from Liberty House; it is in awful shape. One thing Macy's has done in both stores, is heavily renovated the restrooms within the past 5-10 years.
Alpha8472

Post by Alpha8472 »

Macy's claims staffing shortages are forcing them to reduce hours. All of their stores will now open at 11 and close at 8 PM.
buckguy
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by buckguy »

Odd neglects are noting new for Macy's or its competitors. I've seen examples of this with Dillard---the Great Lakes Mall stores (originally Higbees and Horne's) outside of Cleveland were neglected for a couple decades. The Hornes (used as a mens store) was remodeled first and then closed when they finally consolidated in the former Higbee space a few years later. Except for eliminating home entertainment and the budget store at some point, the Higbee's was untouched between its opening in the late 60s and Dillard's takeover 20 years later. It was a cluttered, absolute dump before the consolidation/renovation. The Horne's was a decade newer than Higbee's and better kept by Dillard. I've seen other ancient neglected Dillard's but this was the most dramatic and it outlasted a well-kept Macy's which in its original life as May Co established the mall as a viable location.

For many years, Macy's Northlake outside of Atlanta looked liked it hadn't been touched since before the Federated merger. The decor, the stained carpets, the haphazard arrangement of some departments all reeked of the past and an uncertain future. I haven't been to the store in quite awhile, but it is the only remaining anchor at the mall (which used to have JCP and Sears) and it outlived a former Rich's in a smaller dead mall that was a few miles away. This store and Gwinnett Place aren't super close, but closing one would probably keep the other in business.

Several years ago, JCP closed the Richmond Mall store near Cleveland which hadn't been touched in decades. The next closest store at Great Lakes Mall has had multiple renovations but the last couple renovations have been partials which create a weird ambiance---well laid out in front in the women's areas, jumbled in back (men's & sporting goods) and under used on the second floor (home stuff).

I don't think any of the big chains has a coherent plan for what their stores should look like---for probably different reasons, they're not spending in a systematic way on that sort of thing. The patterns of closures have a little more coherence--Macy's and JCP exiting small markets but in other places its unclear if they're running out a lease and trying to break even or whether they have faith in locations despite a lack of investment. The increasingly rapid decline of malls and the mixed experience they've had in non-mall locations probably contribute to this.
veteran+
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by veteran+ »

100% agree!

The Executive Suite at it's best with shareholder or stakeholder support, earning millions of dollars, but blaming their workforce that can barely survive.

Let's cut payroll again or close another neglected store.

:lol: :lol: :lol:
MSSportsGuy
Front-End Bagger
Front-End Bagger

Post by MSSportsGuy »

[quote=buckguy post_id=34217 time=1641391174 user_id=2908

For many years, Macy's Northlake outside of Atlanta looked liked it hadn't been touched since before the Federated merger. The decor, the stained carpets, the haphazard arrangement of some departments all reeked of the past and an uncertain future. I haven't been to the store in quite awhile, but it is the only remaining anchor at the mall (which used to have JCP and Sears) and it outlived a former Rich's in a smaller dead mall that was a few miles away. This store and Gwinnett Place aren't super close, but closing one would probably keep the other in business.

[/quote]

As a former Atlanta resident I have no idea how Gwinnett Place remains open at all. I would think both this location and Northlake would be gone by now but both have survived.

I think Macy's is all that is left at Brookwood Village in Birmingham. I've not been to that center in ages but even 15 years ago it was looking deserted.

The Memphis area lost the Collierville Macy's which was a very nice building but their merchandise mix was poor and that entire center just doesn't get much traffic. There are still two locations at Oak Court Mall and Wolfchase Galleria in Memphis area but both are in malls that have seen their best days. It wouldn't shock me to see one of those eventually go away.
mbz321
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by mbz321 »

Besides their flagship locations, in major cities and such, I have no idea how Macy's stays in business and I am surprised they aren't closing more locations. I guess because they are kind of the last nationwide, middle class 'department store' (using that term very loosely) left? Not once in my life have I ever been inclined to buy anything at their stores.
Jeff
Service Clerk
Service Clerk

Post by Jeff »

I visited Puente Hills not long ago. The mall is almost empty now. Covid wiped out the stores. Most national chains are gone. It lacks a major anchor and losing Macys will only make Burlington, Ross (which only has an entry in the mall), Round 1 and AMC the "anchors". The restaurants around the mall are also suffering. Outback, TGI Fridays, Joes Crab Shack and Souplantation all have closed. JCS was demolished for a Raising Canes and something is taking over the Outback. BWW survives being so close to the theater.
buckguy
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by buckguy »

Is the big box trade still doing OK at Puente Hills? My recollection of Puente Hills, in general, was that it had a lot of gaps around it--industrial areas, parkland and topography that separated it from places that looked close on a map, so that it drew from several different areas that could easily shop in other places.