Holiday Hours Expanding

Predicting the demise of Sears & Kmart since 2017!
Alpha8472

Holiday Hours Expanding

Post by Alpha8472 »

Target is expanding hours 7 to 12 AM starting Sunday December 5. However, I do not believe that the San Francisco stores will change their hours from 9 to 6 PM.

Target stores used to be open 8 to 10 PM at most locations.

Walmart is already open 6 AM to 11 PM for the holiday. It was 7 to 11 PM before the holidays.

My local Sears has expanded to 10 to 8 PM except Sundays which is 11 to 7. It used to close at 6 PM which was absolutely terrible for people who work 9 to 6.
storewanderer

Re: Holiday Hours Expanding

Post by storewanderer »

I was in the Reno Mall last night and it was closing at 9 PM. Macy's was open later, but I am not sure how late. Macy's also has a new anti-shoplifter trick. There is an exit that has 2 sets (foyer in between) of 6 doors to go out of the store. They lock all but one of the 6 doors at the exterior part, to make it harder for the shoplifter to exit quickly. I also wonder how many potential customers show up and pull 4 doors and find them all locked, and just leave assuming the place is closed for the night without trying the other 2 doors to find the random one that is unlocked.
Alpha8472

Post by Alpha8472 »

They should have bandit traps. Some banks have an entrance vestibule where you enter a locked glass room where you are scanned for metal objects. Then the second door only unlocks once you are scanned. With these bullet proof rooms you could trap shoplifters inside and then have them ready for the police.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

Alpha8472 wrote: December 4th, 2021, 7:13 pm They should have bandit traps. Some banks have an entrance vestibule where you enter a locked glass room where you are scanned for metal objects. Then the second door only unlocks once you are scanned. With these bullet proof rooms you could trap shoplifters inside and then have them ready for the police.
This is common in banks and jewelry stores. Also certain government buildings.
Bit of a problem if a fire happens.
BillyGr
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by BillyGr »

storewanderer wrote: December 4th, 2021, 8:41 pm
Alpha8472 wrote: December 4th, 2021, 7:13 pm They should have bandit traps. Some banks have an entrance vestibule where you enter a locked glass room where you are scanned for metal objects. Then the second door only unlocks once you are scanned. With these bullet proof rooms you could trap shoplifters inside and then have them ready for the police.
This is common in banks and jewelry stores. Also certain government buildings.
Bit of a problem if a fire happens.
Perhaps somehow connected to a fire alarm to release the trap doors if it is sounded (could be a control behind a counter that the public couldn't easily hit)?
mbz321
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by mbz321 »

So I needed something that was only carried locally at Bed Bath and Beyond (supposedly). I was surprised when checking hours of my local stores to see such varied hours. It seems the majority are only open until 7PM every night, even on Friday/Saturdays. (5PM on Sundays). I'm surprised they have such limited hours, especially this time of year. A few are open until 9 or 10 PM...it's weird to see such variation, especially since the stores that close early I would think would be their 'better' locations. (Of course the item I needed was nowhere to be found and I begrudgingly ended up ordering it from Amazon :x )
Alpha8472

Post by Alpha8472 »

That is probably due to the labor shortage. They only have enough managers to staff a store until 7 PM. Opening later would require another manager, and they do not want to pay for that. Many chains do not even want to pay for an hour or two of overtime. So the store will not even stay open an hour or 2 later during the holiday season. This is really bad, because there are so many lost sales by closing so early.

It is sort of like how some fast food restaurants now close early because they lack a manager to supervise the night shift. One manager calls out sick, and the entire restaurant closes until the next morning.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

mbz321 wrote: December 8th, 2021, 6:54 pm So I needed something that was only carried locally at Bed Bath and Beyond (supposedly). I was surprised when checking hours of my local stores to see such varied hours. It seems the majority are only open until 7PM every night, even on Friday/Saturdays. (5PM on Sundays). I'm surprised they have such limited hours, especially this time of year. A few are open until 9 or 10 PM...it's weird to see such variation, especially since the stores that close early I would think would be their 'better' locations. (Of course the item I needed was nowhere to be found and I begrudgingly ended up ordering it from Amazon :x )
Lower volume BBB Stores have had those hours you describe for quite some time. Basically since they reopened from the COVID closures (which they probably were not even subject to since they sell limited food, drug, and other "necessities"). Higher volume stores did return to 9 PM or 10 PM closing times toward the end of summer.

The Cost Plus World Market units, despite being sold off, are on a similar set up in regards to store hours. Except with them some of the lower volume stores close at 6 PM every day.
Alpha8472

Post by Alpha8472 »

I drove around tonight and found out that Macy's was open until 11 PM. That is later than the mall closing time of 9 PM. JCPenney closes at 9 PM. What is up with the hours at Sears? They open at 11 and close at 6 PM. That is not enough time for people who have 8 to 5 jobs to get there in time. At least open until 7 PM.

Kohl's closes at midnight along with Ross. Marshall's closes at 11 PM. Bed, Bath, & Beyond closes at 10 PM. Target closes at 11:59 PM.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

The past week stores in my area are not nearly as busy as you'd expect at this time of year.