Portland and SW Washington strike discussion

Alaska, Colorado, Idaho, Montana, Oregon, Utah, Washington, and Wyoming. No non-grocery posts.
SamSpade
Store Manager
Store Manager

Portland and SW Washington strike discussion

Post by SamSpade »

Kroger really seems to have become anti-union. (Shrug)
https://www.opb.org/article/2021/12/13/ ... l-workers/

No discussion locally about Albertsons Company stores, I am assuming they came to an agreement.

I'm pretty sure no one else left is unionized (Market of Choice, Zupans Walmart, New Seasons, Uwajimaya, 99 Ranch).
Super S

Re: Portland and SW Washington strike discussion

Post by Super S »

SamSpade wrote: December 14th, 2021, 12:25 am Kroger really seems to have become anti-union. (Shrug)

No discussion locally about Albertsons Company stores, I am assuming they came to an agreement.

I'm pretty sure no one else left is unionized (Market of Choice, Zupans Walmart, New Seasons, Uwajimaya, 99 Ranch).
From what I understand, the possible strike is only going to affect Fred Meyer and QFC.

I do remember a strike locally at Safeway around 1989 or 1990 which lasted for quite some time. Back then, there were 3 or 4 locally owned union competitors in addition to Fred Meyer which all got an increase in business. Walmart wasn't even in the Northwest yet.

With the timing, this could end up being a big hit for Fred Meyer in that some people are still doing non-grocery Christmas shopping. Despite the reduced GM mix, the stores are still busy this time of year.
pseudo3d

Post by pseudo3d »

SamSpade wrote: December 14th, 2021, 12:25 am Kroger really seems to have become anti-union. (Shrug)
Kroger's Houston division also voted to authorize a strike though nothing has been done yet; meanwhile Kroger has run a site that runs against the union, arguing that their health plan is better, etc.

I don't see Houston's strike going anywhere mainly because both sides have everything to lose--they're the only unionized grocer in the area and they've lost a lot of market share to H-E-B (Kroger was briefly #1 at one point after Randalls started to suffer from Safeway's buyout but H-E-B still had Pantry stores only). I've even seen speculation that closing Montrose's store (the "Disco Kroger") was a flex by Kroger against the unions.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

Kroger reminds me quite similarly of the old Safeway chain in about 2005. You know, they were not dying yet, but they were so customer unfriendly and so employee unfriendly that it was clear they were heading in a path toward the end.

But I am probably back to doing 50% of my shopping at Smiths the past couple months thanks to very bad pricing moves by Safeway and that Raley's One thing... Too bad.
babs
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by babs »

So this labor action appears to be a shot at renegotiating their existing contract, not about a new contract that's replacing an expiring contract. Is this a new union tactic?
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

babs wrote: December 15th, 2021, 10:08 pm So this labor action appears to be a shot at renegotiating their existing contract, not about a new contract that's replacing an expiring contract. Is this a new union tactic?
Maybe rather than screwing around with this sort of thing at the present time, the union should be assisting in the recruitment efforts for the understaffed stores with numerous open positions. After all, all those open positions mean fewer people paying union dues... it would benefit the union to get these stores closer to having 100% of positions filled.
veteran+
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by veteran+ »

storewanderer wrote: December 15th, 2021, 11:35 pm
babs wrote: December 15th, 2021, 10:08 pm So this labor action appears to be a shot at renegotiating their existing contract, not about a new contract that's replacing an expiring contract. Is this a new union tactic?
Maybe rather than screwing around with this sort of thing at the present time, the union should be assisting in the recruitment efforts for the understaffed stores with numerous open positions. After all, all those open positions mean fewer people paying union dues... it would benefit the union to get these stores closer to having 100% of positions filled.
Historically, in modern times, the Unions have had rare leverage with employers while also being legally dismantled all over the country. In fact, they have repeatedly gave concessions to these employers with the hopes of reaping better benefits in the future (which they NEVER received).

Perhaps this is an opportune time to exact some pressure?
retailfanmitchell019
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by retailfanmitchell019 »

storewanderer wrote: December 15th, 2021, 6:45 pm Kroger reminds me quite similarly of the old Safeway chain in about 2005. You know, they were not dying yet, but they were so customer unfriendly and so employee unfriendly that it was clear they were heading in a path toward the end.

But I am probably back to doing 50% of my shopping at Smiths the past couple months thanks to very bad pricing moves by Safeway and that Raley's One thing... Too bad.
If Kroger continues down this path toward the end, I wonder who would buy them?
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

retailfanmitchell019 wrote: December 16th, 2021, 1:49 pm
If Kroger continues down this path toward the end, I wonder who would buy them?
If the online/Ocado thing takes off and is a roaring success, it will make up for the situation that has taken place in the stores. After the pandemic I think it has a good chance.
HCal
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by HCal »

storewanderer wrote: December 15th, 2021, 11:35 pm Maybe rather than screwing around with this sort of thing at the present time, the union should be assisting in the recruitment efforts for the understaffed stores with numerous open positions. After all, all those open positions mean fewer people paying union dues... it would benefit the union to get these stores closer to having 100% of positions filled.
Improving pay and benefits is the best recruitment.

When Walmart, Trader Joe's, etc., are offering higher starting wages, it is a problem for Kroger. Recruiting efforts aren't going to fix that.