Rite Aid closing at least 63 stores

storewanderer

Re: Rite Aid closing at least 63 stores

Post by storewanderer »

norcalriteaidclerk wrote: May 29th, 2022, 6:30 pm The uniform fiasco can't be blamed on the current CEO,this began brewing under Mary sammons.They switched us to grey polo shirts only to revert to the blue smocks which stuck until they switched to the buy-it-yourself 'team colors' under John Standley (yes, I'm affected by the class action involving California employees).

As for the unfinished seasonal truckload in south Auburn,blame that on labor hours being cut chainwide for weeks(refer to the Rite Aid reddit for a detailed discussion).

Also, according to a tweet as well as the Yelp listing,the lights will soon go out in the last remaining downtown Portland location on alder Street, Oregon's first known casualty of the 145-store closure wave(hopefully the chances of that number of growing remains lower than there being another Super Bowl that caps of an unbeaten season).I'm beginning to wonder if they're simply fleeing downtown areas in general.NYC has been hit hard in general,but especially in Manhattan which is down to a dozen active locations (of those only Liberty Street is 24 hours to any extent).

Sent from my SM-G781U using Tapatalk
The one trend with these closures does seem to be a lot of exit activity from downtown type locations.

I am guessing in Portland, combined with fewer people in the area since COVID, and the impacts of Target opening a while ago now nearby, it came to the point that the Target took away enough traffic that the store was no longer viable. Seems like what Walgreens is going through in San Francisco on a smaller scale (and in some locations the problem is being compounded by theft). I doubt the Rite Aid in downtown Portland had much of a problem with theft. It was sandwiched into the middle of a block, not a real large store, and difficult to "get away from."
SamSpade
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by SamSpade »

storewanderer wrote: May 29th, 2022, 9:05 pm The one trend with these closures does seem to be a lot of exit activity from downtown type locations.

I am guessing in Portland, combined with fewer people in the area since COVID, and the impacts of Target opening a while ago now nearby, it came to the point that the Target took away enough traffic that the store was no longer viable. Seems like what Walgreens is going through in San Francisco on a smaller scale (and in some locations the problem is being compounded by theft). I doubt the Rite Aid in downtown Portland had much of a problem with theft. It was sandwiched into the middle of a block, not a real large store, and difficult to "get away from."
This was the last piece of Fred Meyer's retail empire in downtown Portland (Babs feel free to correct me). There is now a newly opened nearby CVS on a prominent downtown corner as well as the mentioned Target.
babs
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by babs »

SamSpade wrote: May 30th, 2022, 11:17 pm
storewanderer wrote: May 29th, 2022, 9:05 pm The one trend with these closures does seem to be a lot of exit activity from downtown type locations.

This was the last piece of Fred Meyer's retail empire in downtown Portland (Babs feel free to correct me). There is now a newly opened nearby CVS on a prominent downtown corner as well as the mentioned Target.
You are correct. That Rite Aid in downtown Portland was a Fred Meyer for a few years. At one point they added a second level for an electronics department. Payless purchased the store and soon after closed the second level. The store has always been sketchy. I dated the pharmacist who worked in the store in the 90s. I would hear of all these crazy stories. Theft has been a major issue at that store. I saw people walk out with merchandise. It would be overrun with homeless people and the store would smell so bad. With downtown Portland being a ghost town, I'm not shocked it is closing but it is sad that downtown Portland is in such poor shape. I don't blame city government around here like most do. The lack of office workers has killed the majority of business at places like this.

The CVS that opened on the same block but in the other side has a major flaw. It's two levels and that second level is going to get ripped off like crazy. I would have thought CVS knew a bit more about operating stores in urban environments than that.
Super S

Post by Super S »

storewanderer wrote: May 29th, 2022, 9:05 pm

The one trend with these closures does seem to be a lot of exit activity from downtown type locations.

I have been wondering about the store in downtown Salem as well. Last time I drove through there, three sides of the store were surrounded by homeless camping on the sidewalks. I gotta wonder if this is a factor in vacancies appearing at Salem Center across the street.
babs
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by babs »

Super S wrote: May 31st, 2022, 8:11 am
storewanderer wrote: May 29th, 2022, 9:05 pm

I have been wondering about the store in downtown Salem as well. Last time I drove through there, three sides of the store were surrounded by homeless camping on the sidewalks. I gotta wonder if this is a factor in vacancies appearing at Salem Center across the street.
I have several friends who live in the Salem area. They all shop at Keizer station. It's really killed off business at Salem Center and the former Lancaster Mall. Any retailer that missed out moving their Salem store to Keizer Station made a bad bet on the where Salem shops. Rite Aid and Kmart are classic examples of what happens when you stop opening new stores as shopping traffic patterns change over time. You've gotta put stores in these new hot spots as many older locations decline.
norcalriteaidclerk
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by norcalriteaidclerk »

One thing I noticed via Google Maps street view is that the San Leandro location in MacArthur/Estudillo off 580(likely a legacy thrifty based on store size and age of the center) has building signs with the classic logo(installed within the past decade when it received the wellness 2.0 remodel)but does have a banner sign with the new logo above it(not obscuring it)as of images updated in February.I assume that the building signs could soon get updated.

A glitch exists on their store locator in the stores by state and city feature:when trying to find a complete list of Philadelphia stores,it turns up a 403 forbidden error;and I have to access outlying cities to find the Philly stores(at least a couple dozen,six that have closed in as many months).

Sent from my SM-G781U using Tapatalk

For your life,Thrifty and Payless have got it.
Romr123
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by Romr123 »

Not to change the subject but was shocked by a CVS closure in Madison Hts, Mi (2nd ring suburb in Detroit)...prime location at John R and 13 mile in front of a Sams' Club (apparently the Sams Club replaced a Farmer Jack-anchored strip center in roughly 2000)
SamSpade
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by SamSpade »

Local media report about Portland closure:
Downtown Portland Rite Aid to Shut Down Permanently
Note, this new/younger reporter got one detail wrong. This was not the *original* Fred Meyer store, it was a replacement for it. The original store was where part of the Pioneer Place Mall sits today (as I understand it).

The company has admitted to more closures than originally announced, but the spokesperson would not elaborate on any other changes in Oregon.
Romr123
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by Romr123 »

Found a few more Ohio closures: Marysville and Middletown (both are on the bleeding edge of the RA Ohio footprint, as they don't compete in Columbus/Cincinnati); Westlake (one closing of two) and Mansfield (one closing of three). Still looks judicious in MI/OH.
Super S

Post by Super S »

SamSpade wrote: June 2nd, 2022, 8:25 am Local media report about Portland closure:
Downtown Portland Rite Aid to Shut Down Permanently
Note, this new/younger reporter got one detail wrong. This was not the *original* Fred Meyer store, it was a replacement for it. The original store was where part of the Pioneer Place Mall sits today (as I understand it).

The company has admitted to more closures than originally announced, but the spokesperson would not elaborate on any other changes in Oregon.
In a nod to what seemed to appear on every page of Fred Meyer ads for years....
soon we can say, "Rite Aid: Not available at 6th & Alder"