Rite Aid closing at least 63 stores

storewanderer

Re: Rite Aid closing at least 63 stores

Post by storewanderer »

Alpha8472 wrote: September 11th, 2022, 10:53 pm The government is distributing the COVID vaccines. Some pharmacies get too much, and some get too little. Often, the chain pharmacies might have to move the vaccines to locations that do not have it, or try to run a vaccination clinic to get rid of excess vaccines before they expire. The vaccines expire, but the expiration date is not written on the bottles. You are supposed to write the date on the bottles and calculate the expiration. This could lead to expired vaccines being given out if someone forgets to document the date it was defrosted.

I would rather get the vaccine at a pharmacy than have it administered by a nurse. Nurses might get confused over the COVID vaccine. It is different than older vaccines that can be shaken.
I don't want this to go off the wrong topic but based on personal observation now I am curious what are the risks exactly to the person receiving the vaccine if they shake the vaccine?
Alpha8472

Post by Alpha8472 »

The mRNA in the diluted vaccine is extremely fragile. Once unfrozen and diluted into liquid form, the vial of vaccine cannot even be transported by car due to vibration in a car. The mRNA is so fragile that it would lose its effectiveness. So getting a shaken vaccine would reduce its effectiveness. It would be like getting a less effective vaccine. It would not be dangerous, it simply would not provide as much immunity to COVID.

COVID mRNA vaccines are transported frozen to prevent damage due to vibrations from cars and trucks.

When the COVID mRNA vaccines first came out they were very effective at over 95 percent. Some people complained that they still caught COVID after getting 2 doses of the mRNA vaccine. It is possible that the vial was dropped or it was shaken.

They did further studies and yes shaking and dropping does reduce the effectiveness of the mRNA in the vaccine. However, there might be enough mRNA that survives to produce immunity.

When a box of vaccines is delivered, a special sensor is in the box. It tells you if the temperature exceeded the safe temperature. If it got too hot and defrosted all those vaccines should be discarded. The risk is that the mRNA in the vaccine is no longer effective. It will not be poisonous. It will just be much less effective.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

Alpha8472 wrote: September 12th, 2022, 12:18 am The mRNA in the diluted vaccine is extremely fragile. Once unfrozen and diluted into liquid form, the vial of vaccine cannot even be transported by car due to vibration in a car. The mRNA is so fragile that it would lose its effectiveness. So getting a shaken vaccine would reduce its effectiveness. It would be like getting a less effective vaccine. It would not be dangerous, it simply would not provide as much immunity to COVID.

COVID mRNA vaccines are transported frozen to prevent damage due to vibrations from cars and trucks.

When the COVID mRNA vaccines first came out they were very effective at over 95 percent. Some people complained that they still caught COVID after getting 2 doses of the mRNA vaccine. It is possible that the vial was dropped or it was shaken.

They did further studies and yes shaking and dropping does reduce the effectiveness of the mRNA in the vaccine. However, there might be enough mRNA that survives to produce immunity.

When a box of vaccines is delivered, a special sensor is in the box. It tells you if the temperature exceeded the safe temperature. If it got too hot and defrosted all those vaccines should be discarded. The risk is that the mRNA in the vaccine is no longer effective. It will not be poisonous. It will just be much less effective.
Interesting. This explains a lot. I heard about the temperature thing but was never aware of the connection to the temperature thing and the shaking.
J-Man
Personnel Manager
Personnel Manager

Post by J-Man »

norcalriteaidclerk wrote: September 11th, 2022, 7:55 pm
J-Man wrote:I was trying to find a local store that is offering the new COVID (bivalent) boosters. On the County Health Dept.'s website, they pointed me to my local Rite-Aid, and the listing said "checked 9/10/22." This store was permanently closed in June, well before these vaccines even existed. I tweeted them about the problem and they said they'd look into it. Goes to show how much you can trust their "checked on" assurances.
Was this location Los Angeles Echo Park or Long Beach Naples?Those are the two most recent California locations to close unless you're referring to a location that actually closed this past spring.
It was the Duarte (Huntington Dr.) location. I'm not sure exactly when it was closed--but definitely within the past 4-5 months. I know I had to report it as "closed" to Google Maps several times and they have still not updated their data. I just reported it again today.
norcalriteaidclerk
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by norcalriteaidclerk »

J-Man wrote:
norcalriteaidclerk wrote: September 11th, 2022, 7:55 pm
J-Man wrote:I was trying to find a local store that is offering the new COVID (bivalent) boosters. On the County Health Dept.'s website, they pointed me to my local Rite-Aid, and the listing said "checked 9/10/22." This store was permanently closed in June, well before these vaccines even existed. I tweeted them about the problem and they said they'd look into it. Goes to show how much you can trust their "checked on" assurances.
Was this location Los Angeles Echo Park or Long Beach Naples?Those are the two most recent California locations to close unless you're referring to a location that actually closed this past spring.
It was the Duarte (Huntington Dr.) location. I'm not sure exactly when it was closed--but definitely within the past 4-5 months. I know I had to report it as "closed" to Google Maps several times and they have still not updated their data. I just reported it again today.
That Duarte location(in a marginal center shared with big lots and either of a dollar tree or the 99)did indeed close in April or May as previously reported here.I have noticed that in the case of closed RAD locations, Google has had a habit of failing to mark their pharmacy department as closed when marking the stores as such.For example,5712 Folsom has the store marked as permanently closed,but the pharmacy as temporarily closed.Quite a few other closed RAD locations still have an open pharmacy listed by Google, while Yelp itself has failed to mark some closed locations as such.

Sent from my SM-G781U using Tapatalk

For your life,Thrifty and Payless have got it.
norcalriteaidclerk
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by norcalriteaidclerk »

Also,though technically a relocation,1406 Cecil B. Moore Avenue (the shops at avenue North)in Philadelphia (replaced 1528 North Broad a few months ago)has apparently become the first new build store to have the new 'whole health' interior scheme and is the second Philly store with the new look joining 136 North 63rd.Not yet updated on Yelp but is updated on Google Maps.I assume the Winchester French Valley store near Temecula would have this scheme once it opens.

Additionally the 60th anniversary promotion has begun in earnest with BOGO 60% specials as well as some 60¢ specials as well.

Sent from my SM-G781U using Tapatalk

For your life,Thrifty and Payless have got it.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

Noticed the Wild Harvest Food area has been replaced with an assortment of Hispanic food products, primarily very low cost, in very low quantities. I am not sure how well this will sell. These items have very long shelf lives so it will not spoil out the way the Wild Harvest stuff was. Much lower inventory value than Wild Harvest. I tend to think Wild Harvest fit in better with the whole "wellness" strategy than this stuff but obviously it wasn't selling well. I am guessing they have different sets to flex into this space but I am a bit curious why the store I went to (town has 8% of population hispanic and 77% of population white) received the Hispanic food set.
Alpha8472

Post by Alpha8472 »

Maybe Rite Aid wants to convert to a new Dollar store/Hispanic format?

Would conversions to Save A Lot/Rite Aid combinations help?
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

Alpha8472 wrote: September 15th, 2022, 2:17 pm Maybe Rite Aid wants to convert to a new Dollar store/Hispanic format?

I think the active Save a Lot/Rite Aid combinations have all closed/sold to Walgreens (who did not continue the Save a Lot arrangement).

CVS has a hispanic format called CVS y MAS. I have not been to one but supposedly it has food items like this and some different/lower priced brands of laundry detergent/paper products. CVS also has a format called Navarro down in Miami; I have been to Navarro and that is quite different from a normal CVS, different mix and different presentation but pricing seemed the same (terrible).
veteran+
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by veteran+ »

storewanderer wrote: September 15th, 2022, 10:21 pm
Alpha8472 wrote: September 15th, 2022, 2:17 pm Maybe Rite Aid wants to convert to a new Dollar store/Hispanic format?

I think the active Save a Lot/Rite Aid combinations have all closed/sold to Walgreens (who did not continue the Save a Lot arrangement).

CVS has a hispanic format called CVS y MAS. I have not been to one but supposedly it has food items like this and some different/lower priced brands of laundry detergent/paper products. CVS also has a format called Navarro down in Miami; I have been to Navarro and that is quite different from a normal CVS, different mix and different presentation but pricing seemed the same (terrible).
Very over priced store that is combination drug store, gift store, mini department store and lots of knick knack JUNK!

Plus horrendous customer service!

I believe CVS also has all the free standing Sedano's Pharmacy stores that Navarro previously purchased from Sedano's Supermarket (awful chain of stores).