Rite Aid closing at least 63 stores

Alpha8472

Re: Rite Aid closing at least 63 stores

Post by Alpha8472 »

The Rite Aid in Castro Valley, California is a huge store that still has the classic Payless Decor. I was amazed at the size of the store. The aisles are so wide that you feel like an ant. There is a huge glass window that lets in a large amount of light. The neon Pharmacy sign and the marble panels really go back to a bygone era. Much of the store is unused and separated by partitions. There is still a watch repair sign and classic clocks on the walls showing the time in various cities around the world. There is also a Thrifty sign on the front of the building.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

Alpha8472 wrote: June 4th, 2022, 8:39 pm The Rite Aid in Castro Valley, California is a huge store that still has the classic Payless Decor. I was amazed at the size of the store. The aisles are so wide that you feel like an ant. There is a huge glass window that lets in a large amount of light. The neon Pharmacy sign and the marble panels really go back to a bygone era. Much of the store is unused and separated by partitions. There is still a watch repair sign and classic clocks on the walls showing the time in various cities around the world. There is also a Thrifty sign on the front of the building.
Were there really only 4 other shoppers in that giant space?

Did they have any plants out front? I notice some of the rural Rite Aids have a small plant assortment again this year (much smaller than a few years ago, but better than the past couple years when they did zero plants).
Alpha8472

Post by Alpha8472 »

I only saw a handful of customers, but some more people came in after I left. It does decent business on weekdays, but it is not busy on Saturday nights.

I saw lots of plants in front of the doors, but the large garden center was not in use. They had a huge stock of lawn chairs, summer outdoor items, and there were some plants inside also.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

Alpha8472 wrote: June 4th, 2022, 9:16 pm I only saw a handful of customers, but some more people came in after I left. It does decent business on weekdays, but it is not busy on Saturday nights.

I saw lots of plants in front of the doors, but the large garden center was not in use. They had a huge stock of lawn chairs, summer outdoor items, and there were some plants inside also.
That is good, this used to do good volume. They previously had a project in place to redevelop the store and keep Rite Aid present but with a smaller store. I am not sure what happened with that plan. Given the store never got the Wellness remodel it would appear that plan is still pending.
norcalriteaidclerk
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by norcalriteaidclerk »

storewanderer wrote: June 4th, 2022, 9:44 pm
Alpha8472 wrote: June 4th, 2022, 9:16 pm I only saw a handful of customers, but some more people came in after I left. It does decent business on weekdays, but it is not busy on Saturday nights.

That is good, this used to do good volume. They previously had a project in place to redevelop the store and keep Rite Aid present but with a smaller store. I am not sure what happened with that plan. Given the store never got the Wellness remodel it would appear that plan is still pending.
At least this store is still alive and kicking,it obviously once carried a lot more than it has the past year or two given its size in addition to seeing at its share of windfall from the loss of the last Hayward location(speaking of 31091 mission,it turns out Fairway Park center was built in 1955 according to real estate records with the surrounding neighborhood being developed just a few years prior,dollar tree and grocery outlet in that center were parts of a lucky turned Albertsons lost in the 2006 llc/Cerberus closures,find it baffling that the rx records went to a distant Walgreens while union city/decoto or even a newer cvs at mission/harder were both closer).I must note that at least the past several years Saturday nights aren't always consistently busy regardless of my home store,whether it's 7900 Arcadia or the incumbent at 5409 sunrise.

Also,it does seem that the pace of closures is slowing down quite a bit.Whether we're being lulled into a false sense of security or if there's really light at the end of the tunnel(please let it be the latter)could depend on an important moment of truth on the 23rd when 2023Q1 fiscals are released.
For your life,Thrifty and Payless have got it.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

norcalriteaidclerk wrote: June 5th, 2022, 11:43 am

Also,it does seem that the pace of closures is slowing down quite a bit.Whether we're being lulled into a false sense of security or if there's really light at the end of the tunnel(please let it be the latter)could depend on an important moment of truth on the 23rd when 2023Q1 fiscals are released.
I hope on the 23rd they will announce they are through with the previously announced store closure program. They need to give some "closure" on that topic. I think stores are getting nervous waiting to figure out every week if they are staying open or not. I had a rather rude interaction with a store manager of an obviously marginal store this week, attitude was very different from how this store manager had been in the past and I got the feeling they were nervous about something. Interaction had nothing to do with store/store closure topic, it was just the general attitude.
norcalriteaidclerk
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by norcalriteaidclerk »

► Show Spoiler
Sent from my SM-G781U using Tapatalk

For your life,Thrifty and Payless have got it.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

I notice stores have what feel like ongoing reduced hours in my area; Truckee store is still only open until 6 PM every day. Gardnerville Store has been closing at 9 M-F and 6 S-S for the past couple weeks and that appears to be continuing this week.

But this is not unique to Rite Aid. Multiple CVS around Reno/Carson City have significantly cut pharmacy hours until further notice, closing as early as 6 PM during the week. It is not clear if/when they will return to normal hours. The 24 hour CVS in Sparks also has been closing overnight some weeks for pharmacy (store remains open 24 hours).
Romr123
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by Romr123 »

Feels like the stores around Detroit are getting back to normal--big resets are completed within soaps/cleansers (much simplification of Tide varieties), garden goods seem to be reasonably well displayed with a complete assortment including some nice heavy-gauge Adirondack poly chairs with a 350 pound capacity...quite good quality, TBH.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

Romr123 wrote: June 6th, 2022, 8:33 pm Feels like the stores around Detroit are getting back to normal--big resets are completed within soaps/cleansers (much simplification of Tide varieties), garden goods seem to be reasonably well displayed with a complete assortment including some nice heavy-gauge Adirondack poly chairs with a 350 pound capacity...quite good quality, TBH.
Garden items are 60% off this week and look like they have had decent sell through.