Rite Aid closing at least 63 stores

BillyGr
Store Manager
Store Manager

Re: Rite Aid closing at least 63 stores

Post by BillyGr »

storewanderer wrote: September 15th, 2022, 1:11 am Noticed the Wild Harvest Food area has been replaced with an assortment of Hispanic food products, primarily very low cost, in very low quantities. I am not sure how well this will sell. These items have very long shelf lives so it will not spoil out the way the Wild Harvest stuff was. Much lower inventory value than Wild Harvest. I tend to think Wild Harvest fit in better with the whole "wellness" strategy than this stuff but obviously it wasn't selling well. I am guessing they have different sets to flex into this space but I am a bit curious why the store I went to (town has 8% of population hispanic and 77% of population white) received the Hispanic food set.
Keep an eye out in stores - I wound up in one yesterday that happened to have one box of sweetener left from the Wild Harvest (in an area where all the clearance items are). Took it since it would have been fairly cheap anyway at 75% off, but when scanned it rang up FREE. Perhaps they just did that in the computer for any leftovers, so it is at least worth a try if you spot anything anywhere :)
norcalriteaidclerk
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by norcalriteaidclerk »

BillyGr wrote:
storewanderer wrote: September 15th, 2022, 1:11 am Noticed the Wild Harvest Food area has been replaced with an assortment of Hispanic food products, primarily very low cost, in very low quantities. I am not sure how well this will sell. These items have very long shelf lives so it will not spoil out the way the Wild Harvest stuff was. Much lower inventory value than Wild Harvest. I tend to think Wild Harvest fit in better with the whole "wellness" strategy than this stuff but obviously it wasn't selling well. I am guessing they have different sets to flex into this space but I am a bit curious why the store I went to (town has 8% of population hispanic and 77% of population white) received the Hispanic food set.
Keep an eye out in stores - I wound up in one yesterday that happened to have one box of sweetener left from the Wild Harvest (in an area where all the clearance items are). Took it since it would have been fairly cheap anyway at 75% off, but when scanned it rang up FREE. Perhaps they just did that in the computer for any leftovers, so it is at least worth a try if you spot anything anywhere :)
It is common practice at RAD that certain clearance food items and even some seasonal items to auto markdown to zero after a certain time period has elapsed.It is usually discretion of store management in these cases whether to sell them or destroy at store level.

The 'CVS y más' format was born from CVS acquiring the Miami based Navarro chain just over a decade ago.The first 'CVS y más' locations were in South Florida but format has since expanded to 200+ locations in numerous Hispanic-leaning markets including southern California.The closest this format gets to Sacramento is the greater Fresno area with one of those locations being the only 24-hour pharmacy in all of Fresno (swc Fresno/Shaw opposite Fresno fashion fair).

Some errata in respect to Manteca:the 1976-era value Giant turned payless was actually on 900 North Main and was actually closed by RAD around 2013(last Yelp review was in 2012).The existing Manteca RAD (sublease available for space shed in a wellness remodel)is in a center with save Mart and other co-anchors (nwc Yosemite/union)and was either a later Payless or oversized Thrifty.

Sent from my SM-G781U using Tapatalk

For your life,Thrifty and Payless have got it.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

Rite Aid did get the Save Mart pharmacy files in Sonora. I wonder if they got any others...
BillyGr
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by BillyGr »

BillyGr wrote: Keep an eye out in stores - I wound up in one yesterday that happened to have one box of sweetener left from the Wild Harvest (in an area where all the clearance items are). Took it since it would have been fairly cheap anyway at 75% off, but when scanned it rang up FREE. Perhaps they just did that in the computer for any leftovers, so it is at least worth a try if you spot anything anywhere :)
norcalriteaidclerk wrote: September 16th, 2022, 5:05 pm It is common practice at RAD that certain clearance food items and even some seasonal items to auto markdown to zero after a certain time period has elapsed.It is usually discretion of store management in these cases whether to sell them or destroy at store level.
Not sure how they would be able to do that - if it is on the shelf and you bring it up and they refuse to sell it, that doesn't seem legal (since there is no legitimate reason not to - if the price is ringing up that way it is the store who set it, be it locally or higher up).

In this case, I had three items, one of which was cheap anyway with a coupon, the other from the $1 section and this, so I don't even know that the cashier noticed it, since the total was supposed to be fairly low anyway.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

BillyGr wrote: September 17th, 2022, 12:05 pm

Not sure how they would be able to do that - if it is on the shelf and you bring it up and they refuse to sell it, that doesn't seem legal (since there is no legitimate reason not to - if the price is ringing up that way it is the store who set it, be it locally or higher up).

In this case, I had three items, one of which was cheap anyway with a coupon, the other from the $1 section and this, so I don't even know that the cashier noticed it, since the total was supposed to be fairly low anyway.
The item that scans .00 shouldn't be on the sales floor. That is a mistake. But if it is on the sales floor then that means it is for sale.

Given that the item is on the sales floor, they should just sell it at whatever it scans at. A cashier who is really paying attention, if the item has a green clearance tag with a marked price, could theoretically change the price from .00 to whatever the clearance tag says... I don't really see a problem with that. I walk up expecting the item at whatever the green tag clearance sticker says, not at .00.

The items should probably not scan .00 but rather scan as price required.

I worked at a retailer when this thing started to happen with old clearance items that were no longer supposed to be on the sales floor scanning .01 and a bunch of us thought it was some kind of a great deal/bonus; even the store manager bought some of the items at .01 (it was something like 100 or so boxes of $8 at the time Russel Stover Christmas candy that was "found" a couple months after Christmas). Who knows how many other items went out at .01. Then some research was done about the .01 and determined we should not have sold those and certainly various employees should not have been buying them, but since the store manager bought some, nobody got in any trouble. Eventually they changed the system to make these items scan as price required.

Refusing to sell the customer the item that the customer found on the sales floor is a definite no unless the item is expired, recalled, or similar.

Various retailers have programs where items go down to .00 or .01 at the point they should have been "removed from the sales floor." Target for example .00s out items for clearance that were supposed to be taken from the floor and put to salvage (trash or give to Goodwill) steadily and those items will scan with "price required." I have had a lot of arguments at Target to get them to sell me the items at whatever the last clearance price was (they try to research it and charge full price or make up some exaggerated price). Dollar General makes all of these old items scan .01 and their written policy states if it is on the sales floor they are to sell it to the customer at the .01 then ask the customer where the customer found the items and remove the rest of the items from the sales floor, but there are stories all over the internet of Dollar General employees refusing to sell the items and further over on Dollar General employee forums reports of evidently clueless loss prevention disciplining employees for selling items to customers that scan .01.
norcalriteaidclerk
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

I forgot to mention that if an item scans zero price at RAD,a price must be manually entered at the prompt.Management usually determines the selling price on the spot.This usually happens to clearanced consumables and less frequently seasonal items.

storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

norcalriteaidclerk wrote: September 17th, 2022, 10:43 pm I forgot to mention that if an item scans zero price at RAD,a price must be manually entered at the prompt.Management usually determines the selling price on the spot.This usually happens to clearanced consumables and less frequently seasonal items.

It is good there is a prompt and the thing doesn't just automatically scan at .00. That is how it should work. It has probably been 5 years but I ran into situations in the distant past where they had "not on file" items and had to enter the items in as taxable merchandise or similar price entry key. When that happened, that now gone 20% off Loyalty Card discount did not apply to the item. I had one case where it should have applied (some vendor clothing item somewhere) but usually it was clearance where the 20% off would not apply anyway. I was glad when that sort of thing stopped happening.

Also that South Lake Tahoe Store keeps circling the drain. Ice cream counter and restrooms continue to be closed. Now the entire freezer unit on the back wall is out so they have no frozen food and no prepack ice cream for sale. Not sure what is going on there. It does have almost full hours of operation with 7 days a week pharmacy and closes at 8 PM. Hardly any customers for obvious reasons; the store is a trainwreck and has been for too many years now. Also that store did something so their summer clearance is only 75% off not 90% off like other locations. Very odd. The two CVS up there are much busier with more staff and merchandise I hate to say. Also for some reason Gardnerville has no job postings on the website anymore (they do have a number of new employees so maybe all positions got filled) yet is still on limited hours closing at 7 PM (I think that would imply limited staff, which should imply hiring needs to be happening). Also noticed the pharmacy manager position is vacant with Kroger in Gardnerville. Wal Mart's pharmacy there is well staffed.
BillyGr
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by BillyGr »

norcalriteaidclerk wrote: September 17th, 2022, 10:43 pm I forgot to mention that if an item scans zero price at RAD,a price must be manually entered at the prompt.Management usually determines the selling price on the spot.This usually happens to clearanced consumables and less frequently seasonal items.

At least in this case it didn't - it shows on the receipt as .00 F (since it's a food item).
Under that it says **FREE**, Reg 1/2.49
Next line is Discount 2.49-
storewanderer wrote: September 17th, 2022, 9:43 pm Given that the item is on the sales floor, they should just sell it at whatever it scans at. A cashier who is really paying attention, if the item has a green clearance tag with a marked price, could theoretically change the price from .00 to whatever the clearance tag says... I don't really see a problem with that. I walk up expecting the item at whatever the green tag clearance sticker says, not at .00.
In this case, it had no green sticker (and in this store, even those with the green tags are just blank tags, they have to see if it rings up at the markdown, or figure it manually), just the original $2.49 tag.

I don't believe they ever put markdown tags on any of the Wild Harvest items (at least I didn't see any in the few stores here), which sort of makes sense as the entire brand was being marked down at the same time, so they just put signs in the area(s) where it was, then moved the leftover odds and ends to a section with other items that also has signs about 75% off for markdowns.

I expected it to be the 75% off as well, but once the total was there and I saw it had been rung up (thus not an issue that someone would get in trouble for not ringing it in), no real reason to question it, particularly when the cashier doesn't (and most places will put that in policy, that you get it at whatever is marked or whatever it scans for, whichever is lower).
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

BillyGr wrote: September 18th, 2022, 10:55 am

At least in this case it didn't - it shows on the receipt as .00 F (since it's a food item).

In this case, it had no green sticker (and in this store, even those with the green tags are just blank tags, they have to see if it rings up at the markdown, or figure it manually), just the original $2.49 tag.

I don't believe they ever put markdown tags on any of the Wild Harvest items (at least I didn't see any in the few stores here), which sort of makes sense as the entire brand was being marked down at the same time, so they just put signs in the area(s) where it was, then moved the leftover odds and ends to a section with other items that also has signs about 75% off for markdowns.

I expected it to be the 75% off as well, but once the total was there and I saw it had been rung up (thus not an issue that someone would get in trouble for not ringing it in), no real reason to question it, particularly when the cashier doesn't (and most places will put that in policy, that you get it at whatever is marked or whatever it scans for, whichever is lower).
I've noticed some locations that put blank green tags on clearance items too and always wondered why they did that, maybe it is easier for whoever is tagging clearance.

Of the stores in my area the one in Truckee still has the entire Wild Harvest area set up, never put ant 75% off signs up, but did sell down a fair amount of it, and didn't do any reset yet as of last week, Gardnerville and South Lake Tahoe both reset it to Hispanic foods. Kings Beach never had it in the first place (3k square foot store). Gardnerville had some Wild Harvest stuff in its clearance area with green tags showing 75% off price but that is all gone as of this week.

For me this is a loss. I bought a number of the Wild Harvest items from time to time. I don't expect to be buying any of the replacement items. I'll just go buy the Simple Truth item at Kroger instead of the Wild Harvest item as those two lines are very, very similar.
norcalriteaidclerk
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

storewanderer wrote:
BillyGr wrote: September 18th, 2022, 10:55 am

I've noticed some locations that put blank green tags on clearance items too and always wondered why they did that, maybe it is easier for whoever is tagging clearance.

Of the stores in my area the one in Truckee still has the entire Wild Harvest area set up, never put ant 75% off signs up, but did sell down a fair amount of it, and didn't do any reset yet as of last week, Gardnerville and South Lake Tahoe both reset it to Hispanic foods. Kings Beach never had it in the first place (3k square foot store). Gardnerville had some Wild Harvest stuff in its clearance area with green tags showing 75% off price but that is all gone as of this week.

For me this is a loss. I bought a number of the Wild Harvest items from time to time. I don't expect to be buying any of the replacement items. I'll just go buy the Simple Truth item at Kroger instead of the Wild Harvest item as those two lines are very, very similar.
So far,the Hispanic food planogram hasn't yet been set up.The spice area in the pantry aisle remains empty and big win spices remain merchandised in the 'dollar shop' aisle where certain items have had their price points doubled to $2.We recently took in several transferred employees and are gradually playing catch-up on merchandise resets(only recently did receive a new fashion accessories set only have it now go on clearance).I must note that both 5712 Folsom and Roseville pleasant Grove both now have Spirit Halloween pop-ups.