Safeway-Christmas Day 24 Hours?

This is the place for general and miscellaneous posts on topics which might extend past the boundaries of any specific region. No non-grocery posts.
storewanderer

Safeway-Christmas Day 24 Hours?

Post by storewanderer »

Safeway's new Reno location has hours posted for Christmas as of today. It says Open 24 Hours for Christmas Eve AND Christmas Day. I could have sworn the sign I saw in Sparks earlier this week said closing at 5 PM on Christmas Day (this is what they've done for the past 30 years here).

I've never seen a grocery store open 24 hours on Christmas Day before.......
Alpha8472

Re: Safeway-Christmas Day 24 Hours?

Post by Alpha8472 »

Some 24 hour Safeway stores are indeed closing at 5 PM. It is different for each store, but the ones near me that close at 2 AM are closing at 5 PM. For Christmas Eve, Walmart is closing at 6 PM and Target is closing at 8 PM. Ross is closing at 10 PM while Marshall's is closing at 6 PM.

About 20 years ago the Safeway in the college town of Davis, California was open 24 hours even on holidays. The original Lucky Supermarket chain was open 24 hours even on holidays in the 90s. That was what made Lucky so consistent. It was always reliable. Albertson put an end to that when they took over in 1999. Then Albertsons stores would close at 12 AM and Safeway was the only 24 hour chain in Northern California.
Greggo
Stock Clerk
Stock Clerk

Post by Greggo »

Here in Texas, Randalls (part of Safeway/Albertsons) is closing on Christmas Day in Austin and Houston. It’s the first time I can recall them not being open. In both markets, they had typically been the only major grocer to welcome shoppers on 12/25. Stores were typically busy, too.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

Greggo wrote: December 24th, 2021, 9:18 am Here in Texas, Randalls (part of Safeway/Albertsons) is closing on Christmas Day in Austin and Houston. It’s the first time I can recall them not being open. In both markets, they had typically been the only major grocer to welcome shoppers on 12/25. Stores were typically busy, too.
I notice many Safeway/Albertsons divisions are closed Christmas Day. Not sure what this Northern California Division is doing being open, especially having some stores "Open 24 Hours" on Christmas Eve and Christmas Day. It is like they are desperate for sales or something. Especially in the midst of labor shortages. Well, let's see if they find it worth the payroll. I think the old Christmas Day hours of closing at 5 PM were sufficient.

I do think they'll pick up some significant sales between 6 PM and 10 PM on Christmas Eve though.
Bluelightspecial
Receiving Clerk
Receiving Clerk

Post by Bluelightspecial »

storewanderer wrote: December 24th, 2021, 11:30 am
Greggo wrote: December 24th, 2021, 9:18 am Here in Texas, Randalls (part of Safeway/Albertsons) is closing on Christmas Day in Austin and Houston. It’s the first time I can recall them not being open. In both markets, they had typically been the only major grocer to welcome shoppers on 12/25. Stores were typically busy, too.
I notice many Safeway/Albertsons divisions are closed Christmas Day. Not sure what this Northern California Division is doing being open, especially having some stores "Open 24 Hours" on Christmas Eve and Christmas Day. It is like they are desperate for sales or something. Especially in the midst of labor shortages. Well, let's see if they find it worth the payroll. I think the old Christmas Day hours of closing at 5 PM were sufficient.

I do think they'll pick up some significant sales between 6 PM and 10 PM on Christmas Eve though.
Most Vons and Pavilions are open until 5PM on Christmas day in southern California.
Alpha8472

Post by Alpha8472 »

What stores are open on Christmas Day near you? Drugstores seem to be open with the pharmacy closed. The 24 CVS and Walgreens locations seem to be open 24 hours even on Christmas Day. The 24 hour pharmacy inside 24 hour Walgreens does not close, but all the other pharmacies are closed.

7-Eleven seems to be open and some convenience stores.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

Alpha8472 wrote: December 24th, 2021, 10:57 pm What stores are open on Christmas Day near you? Drugstores seem to be open with the pharmacy closed. The 24 CVS and Walgreens locations seem to be open 24 hours even on Christmas Day. The 24 hour pharmacy inside 24 hour Walgreens does not close, but all the other pharmacies are closed.

7-Eleven seems to be open and some convenience stores.
7-Eleven is allowed to close Christmas Day. I think it is the only day they are allowed to close. It is at the location's discretion. They can also do shorter hours on Christmas Day.

Supposedly some CVS are closed but it isn't clear which ones. It appears all Walgreens and Rite Aids are open except possibly some downtown type ones.
norcalriteaidclerk
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by norcalriteaidclerk »

Among local food/drug chains(merry Christmas everyone):
Raleys/Bel Air and Save Mart are closed.SELECT Safeways are open(my 2 nearest on Dewey and on Manzanita are closed;Elkhorn,Arden,S Street,and some outlying ones are open 9am-4pm).
Rite Aid is open 8am-5pm,but only select locations(Greenhaven,Alhambra in midtown;fewer than on previous Christmas day holidays)have open pharmacies.CVS(excluding Target pharmacies which are closed)is open normal hours with select pharmacies(still more than either traditional competitor)open until 5 or 6(all 3 local locations that are 24-hours to any extent have open pharmacies including Dewey which has a 24-hour phamacy).Walgreens is nominally open but only has an open pharmacy in those locations regularly having a 24-hour pharmacy(only such location locally at the Laguna East location in Elk Grove,they've cut back on 24 hour operations the past several years as since early 2019 Greenback/Dewey which has been 24-hours from the beginning now merely has a 24-hour front end),non-24 hour front ends are open 9am-5pm.Strangely,BevMo is open 9am-4pm.
For your life,Thrifty and Payless have got it.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

norcalriteaidclerk wrote: December 25th, 2021, 11:29 am Among local food/drug chains(merry Christmas everyone):
Raleys/Bel Air and Save Mart are closed.SELECT Safeways are open(my 2 nearest on Dewey and on Manzanita are closed;Elkhorn,Arden,S Street,and some outlying ones are open 9am-4pm).
Rite Aid is open 8am-5pm,but only select locations(Greenhaven,Alhambra in midtown;fewer than on previous Christmas day holidays)have open pharmacies.CVS(excluding Target pharmacies which are closed)is open normal hours with select pharmacies(still more than either traditional competitor)open until 5 or 6(all 3 local locations that are 24-hours to any extent have open pharmacies including Dewey which has a 24-hour phamacy).Walgreens is nominally open but only has an open pharmacy in those locations regularly having a 24-hour pharmacy(only such location locally at the Laguna East location in Elk Grove,they've cut back on 24 hour operations the past several years as since early 2019 Greenback/Dewey which has been 24-hours from the beginning now merely has a 24-hour front end),non-24 hour front ends are open 9am-5pm.Strangely,BevMo is open 9am-4pm.
I don't recall BevMo being open on Christmas before, I wonder if that is chainwide. With how they are located and given customers are not used to them being open I'd venture people out today looking for liquor who will need to drive past multiple open CVS, Rite Aid, or gas stations (won't even count Walgreens with its limited liquor mix) to get to the BevMo and likely won't drive that far.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

Safeway in Reno will close at 11 PM on New Year's Eve then open back up at 5 AM for New Year's Day.

I don't think I've ever seen a store have longer hours on Christmas Eve/Christmas Day than on New Year's Eve/New Year's Day.

Safeway was nearly fully staffed on Christmas Day at 6 PM too. Deli was open, two employees. Bakery was open, two employees. Produce had 2 employees. Meat was dark and seafood closed though. Lots of employees in the checkout area. Store was pretty busy but not crazy.