Super Target-Superior, CO- fire

Alaska, Colorado, Idaho, Montana, Oregon, Utah, Washington, and Wyoming. No non-grocery posts.
storewanderer

Super Target-Superior, CO- fire

Post by storewanderer »

The Super Target in Superior, CO has burnt down in the large fire in that area.

This was the first Super Target in the Denver area and also the first Super Target I was ever in, nearly 20 years ago now.

I would expect them to replace the store.
arizonaguy
Store Manager
Store Manager

Re: Super Target-Superior, CO- fire

Post by arizonaguy »

storewanderer wrote: December 31st, 2021, 12:09 am The Super Target in Superior, CO has burnt down in the large fire in that area.

This was the first Super Target in the Denver area and also the first Super Target I was ever in, nearly 20 years ago now.

I'd imagine the replacement will likely not be a SuperTarget though.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

arizonaguy wrote: December 31st, 2021, 8:37 pm
storewanderer wrote: December 31st, 2021, 12:09 am The Super Target in Superior, CO has burnt down in the large fire in that area.

I'd imagine the replacement will likely not be a SuperTarget though.
It will be interesting to see. Denver is a productive market for Super Targets (it all came at the expense of Safeway once the real low hanging fruit like Cub shut down). When it opened it was basically the only thing up there. Superior is a rather commuter heavy area (or was). The area has developed extensively and there is a Costco and also a Whole Foods in the same shopping center.
Super S

Post by Super S »

Those fires have some eerie similarities to those in Santa Rosa a few years back, which also burned down a Kmart, which was not replaced.

Target is in much better shape though. Colorado I think was one of the first major markets Target entered outside of Minnesota years ago. I have seen some aerial pictures and it looks like the store still had the old logo, not sure what it looked like inside though.

I feel bad for those who not only lost their homes but their entire neighborhoods.
submariner
Founder of RetailWatchers.com
Founder of RetailWatchers.com

Post by submariner »

Here's an aerial photo of the damage suffered at the Superior, CO Super Target. Appears to be primarily on the Grocery side.
271130314_10159075325968271_2327987401015228926_n.jpg
Photo is courtesy of KMGH / TheDenverChannel.com
bayford
Stock Clerk
Stock Clerk

Post by bayford »

Super S wrote: January 1st, 2022, 6:46 am Colorado I think was one of the first major markets Target entered outside of Minnesota years ago.
The Denver metro was the very first market outside of Minnesota that Target entered. The first Targets there opened in 1966.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

This is really odd in that the fire sort of sliced the store in half.

The pharmacy in this store was built into the middle of the store as I recall and probably part of what burnt. The area that looks to have burned near the right front wall would have been the produce/deli. Oddly a good portion of center store grocery there in the right side looks like it did not get hit. That middle area of the store that really got hit would be home, part of clothing, part of drug, paper, pets, etc.

Generally speaking the weather events in the past week have been very odd. Out in the west you have near record snowfall. I have never seen I-80 closed for nearly 4 days in the Donner Pass but it was this time. Then in CO you get a fire that burns out all of this town in between two snow storms.
Alpha8472

Post by Alpha8472 »

The fire looks like it burned some sections of solar panels and left some areas with no solar panels unscathed. There is no damage to the facade of the store. Perhaps it was limited to a roof fire.
Super S

Post by Super S »

Alpha8472 wrote: January 2nd, 2022, 12:56 am The fire looks like it burned some sections of solar panels and left some areas with no solar panels unscathed. There is no damage to the facade of the store. Perhaps it was limited to a roof fire.
Probably a lot of smoke damage inside as well as water damage from sprinklers and the later snow. If they have to close the store for a while, this would be a good time to remodel if it's due. Looks like a lot of the structure can be saved.
ClownLoach
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by ClownLoach »

Super S wrote: January 2nd, 2022, 8:59 am
Alpha8472 wrote: January 2nd, 2022, 12:56 am The fire looks like it burned some sections of solar panels and left some areas with no solar panels unscathed. There is no damage to the facade of the store. Perhaps it was limited to a roof fire.
Probably a lot of smoke damage inside as well as water damage from sprinklers and the later snow. If they have to close the store for a while, this would be a good time to remodel if it's due. Looks like a lot of the structure can be saved.
If sprinklers went off the interior will be a complete loss. No chance to get in there with dehumidifiers and mold preventative sprays. Carpet and linoleum will be destroyed from sitting water. Smoke damage and water destroy all merchandise and store systems. Also HVAC can turn into an effective fire spreader if duct detectors don't all work correctly on a rooftop fire. The structural beams likely will have heat damage - melting if metal, burning if wood. Electrical all gone. This is still going to be easier to completely demolish then rebuild.