2022: 10 Kmart, 23 Sears stores remain...

Predicting the demise of Sears & Kmart since 2017!
marshd1000
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Re: 2022: 10 Kmart, 23 Sears stores remain...

Post by marshd1000 »

Here’s the story about the Union Gap Sears closing, without a paywall:

https://www.wenatcheeworld.com/business ... 9a3c0.html
Jeff
Service Clerk
Service Clerk

Post by Jeff »

Posting is up for temp cashiers at the Sears in Burbank. Im wondering if theyre getting out early. The mall is healthy and that Sears store is large (3 stories) with the mall entrances on Level 2 and 3 (level 1 is blocked from the mall due to a now-closing Bed Bath And Beyond in the mall area).
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

What is more important is this thread only has 3 months left before we can move to the 2023 thread.

And it looks to me like there is indeed going to be a 2023 thread...
norcalriteaidclerk
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by norcalriteaidclerk »

Jeff wrote:Posting is up for temp cashiers at the Sears in Burbank. Im wondering if theyre getting out early. The mall is healthy and that Sears store is large (3 stories) with the mall entrances on Level 2 and 3 (level 1 is blocked from the mall due to a now-closing Bed Bath And Beyond in the mall area).
The potential Burbank closure has yet to be verified or confirmed but the temp cashier job posting does mention liquidation process.This would leave California with just three full line Sears locations remaining (Concord, Stockton, Whittier)if there is any truth to this.

Sent from my SM-G781U using Tapatalk

For your life,Thrifty and Payless have got it.
Alpha8472

Post by Alpha8472 »

I don't know how Stockton survives. That city is so crime ridden and economically depressed. Perhaps the rent is so low, that it is cheap to run.

The Concord store is huge and manages to limp along. However, the store is only open 11 to 6 everyday. This is absolutely awful. Most people will not have enough time to get to the store to shop if they work until 5 PM.

Watch repair and jewelry repair is alive and well.

Sears seems to be focusing on furniture. Those furniture sales make quite a bit of profit for them. Clothes and furniture are probably the only things the store focuses on now.
Super S

Post by Super S »

storewanderer wrote: September 24th, 2022, 1:21 pm What is more important is this thread only has 3 months left before we can move to the 2023 thread.

And it looks to me like there is indeed going to be a 2023 thread...
How Sears is surviving with any full line store at this point baffles me.

I was at Southcenter within the last month. The third floor is closed. The first floor is mostly clothing. The second floor has mattresses, appliances, and a much smaller than typical tool section. As well as the lingering strong mold smell that has been present the last couple years, and several light fixtures with no bulbs in them and covers hanging open. The store itself is quickly falling into disrepair.

I basically went in to check out what they had in the way of tools. With the little selection they have now I am not sure this one will be worth visiting when, not if, the closing sale eventually happens. Sears is too damaged of a name now to be worth salvaging. Maybe by 2025 when they have less than 10 stores combined total left they will realize this....
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

There is no telling why the stores that are still open, are still open, except for perhaps the Guam Kmart which is known to be a high volume operation. Also perhaps the VI and PR Stores that are open make sense as those are also known to be quite high volume.

There has to either be a continuous operation clause in the lease of these still open stores, some sort of rule for them to be receiving royalties from things they've sold off, that they still need to actually have operating stores (no clue how such an agreement makes any sense) or Eddie is just keeping these few random stores that clearly can't be turning a profit open for the heck of it. Maybe someday we will know the reason. It would be somewhat fascinating to get Eddie to write a book about how he liquidated Kmart/Sears for 20 years and why he did it this way vs. shutting it all down back at 500 stores. The fact that it has basically been two years since they eliminated what little was left of corporate buying, corporate merchandising, and wound down distribution centers/private label yet still stay open is very interesting to me.

At this point I expect the company to just fade away. There isn't going to be a grand second fall/third bankruptcy. At this point a store closure here and there until none are left...

Still think Kmart could have had a great home with The Northwest Companies.
HCal
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by HCal »

I agree, it will probably just fade away. Maybe local operators will buy the last few stores and the brand, and run them independently (I can dream....). More likely, the remaining stores will close a few at a time until the chain is gone.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

HCal wrote: September 26th, 2022, 1:08 am I agree, it will probably just fade away. Maybe local operators will buy the last few stores and the brand, and run them independently (I can dream....). More likely, the remaining stores will close a few at a time until the chain is gone.
I feel like that is what Eddie is already doing. I am just waiting for them to open a new location of Sears or Kmart.

Also the Sears Hometown Plus in a former WI Kmart has already closed.
bryceleinan
Personnel Manager
Personnel Manager

Post by bryceleinan »

My nephew lives in the Virgin Islands, and has to do all of his shopping at Kmart. His remarks to my mom (a Kmart fan since she lived in Coos Bay) are “grandma, you have to come down here, our Kmart is absolutely loaded!” They still have a pharmacy in his Kmart… I was surprised that they don’t have a Walmart in his area, so I’m guessing the VI stores and Guam are the cash cows that keep the brand alive.