2022: 10 Kmart, 23 Sears stores remain...

Predicting the demise of Sears & Kmart since 2017!
storewanderer

Re: 2022: 10 Kmart, 23 Sears stores remain...

Post by storewanderer »

Bagels wrote: August 7th, 2022, 10:16 pm

The majority of people in the store were like me, engaging in the nostalgia and taking picture. But in fairness, I’ve been to the Spectrum Center and Bella Terra malls in recent weeks and while they were absolutely packed (and difficult to find parking), hardly anyone was buying anything.

I don’t recall seeing US Polo Assn, but all of their clothing inventory appeared to be a hodgepodge of remaining stock.
Maybe if Sears actually had stuff to sell, those who were visiting for that purpose would have bought something. Instead the place is more like a living museum. It would be more fun if they spread the items out among all three floors. But you can access floor 3 via the elevator.

Did you catch the creepy recording playing at the escalator?
Bagels
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by Bagels »

storewanderer wrote: August 7th, 2022, 11:35 pm

The majority of people in the store were like me, engaging in the nostalgia and taking picture. But in fairness, I’ve been to the Spectrum Center and Bella Terra malls in recent weeks and while they were absolutely packed (and difficult to find parking), hardly anyone was buying anything.

I don’t recall seeing US Polo Assn, but all of their clothing inventory appeared to be a hodgepodge of remaining stock.
Maybe if Sears actually had stuff to sell, those who were visiting for that purpose would have bought something. Instead the place is more like a living museum. It would be more fun if they spread the items out among all three floors. But you can access floor 3 via the elevator.

I don’t think it’d make much of a difference if Sears was carrying new merchandise. I went to several locations in 2018-19, and even though the stores had some solid deals and new merchandise, they had no customers.

At the Whittier store, most everybody seemed interested in photographing one last trip to Sears. Which is kinda silly because the store is a shadow of its former self. I wasn’t in it long, so I didn’t get to hear the old recording!

I’ve been in Sears only a handful of times in my adult life. I’ve made only one purchase (a pair of work shoes tagged as a door buster in the early 2000s). My sister shipped Sears and Super Kmart for many years, she claims the Shop Your Way program saved her thousands of dollars. Maybe I missed out!
Jeff
Service Clerk
Service Clerk

Post by Jeff »

Bagels wrote: August 14th, 2022, 10:19 pm
storewanderer wrote: August 7th, 2022, 11:35 pm

I don’t think it’d make much of a difference if Sears was carrying new merchandise. I went to several locations in 2018-19, and even though the stores had some solid deals and new merchandise, they had no customers.

At the Whittier store, most everybody seemed interested in photographing one last trip to Sears. Which is kinda silly because the store is a shadow of its former self. I wasn’t in it long, so I didn’t get to hear the old recording!

I’ve been in Sears only a handful of times in my adult life. I’ve made only one purchase (a pair of work shoes tagged as a door buster in the early 2000s). My sister shipped Sears and Super Kmart for many years, she claims the Shop Your Way program saved her thousands of dollars. Maybe I missed out!
Sad part is that Whitter isnt a true built Sears. It opened as a Broadway and still has a lot of Broadway-ness to it, like the old escalator recordings. Burbank is at least a ground-built Sears.
norcalriteaidclerk
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by norcalriteaidclerk »

With the Grass Valley k-mart closed for months now,I somehow have to wonder what how the remaining NorCal Sears locations are faring(not only the Concord and Stockton corporate locations which both date from the mid-1960's but also the franchised Auburn 'hometown' store).

Sent from my SM-G781U using Tapatalk

For your life,Thrifty and Payless have got it.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

There are also two full size Sears in WA one in Southcenter and one in Union Gap. There are a few Sears Dealers left in OR/WA but not many, also some Sears Dealer or Appliance operations left in Alaska. So there is still a small presence across the immediate west coast. Plus their home services business continues to operate and does warranty work for multiple other retailers.
norcalriteaidclerk
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by norcalriteaidclerk »

storewanderer wrote:There are also two full size Sears in WA one in Southcenter and one in Union Gap. There are a few Sears Dealers left in OR/WA but not many, also some Sears Dealer or Appliance operations left in Alaska. So there is still a small presence across the immediate west coast. Plus their home services business continues to operate and does warranty work for multiple other retailers.
https://www.sb360.com/select-projects/e ... ears-list/

The slow and painful death continues:In addition to Newburgh NY (first full line closure in a while),one specialty location closure a piece in Alaska and Hawaii.

A side note:there thankfully is no drugstore equivalent to Sears or k-mart even though the latter once owned Payless.

Sent from my SM-G781U using Tapatalk

For your life,Thrifty and Payless have got it.
Super S

Post by Super S »

This article is subscriber only, but it looks like Union Gap is closing.

https://www.yakimaherald.com/news/local ... 2a1e9.html

I think Southcenter will not survive much longer.
SamSpade
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by SamSpade »

Super S wrote: September 23rd, 2022, 9:05 am This article is subscriber only, but it looks like Union Gap is closing.

https://www.yakimaherald.com/news/local ... 2a1e9.html

I think Southcenter will not survive much longer.
California-based Eldon W. Gottschalk and Associates
(handling the liquidation)
Any relation to the former department store chain?
Alpha8472

Post by Alpha8472 »

That company did handle the liquidations of the Gottschalk's stores and some Albertsons stores.
BatteryMill
Shift Manager
Shift Manager

Post by BatteryMill »

Looks like the Bridgehampton Kmart has lost its signature blue sign and a cheap banner has gone up instead. This could mean multiple things, whether it is being mended, if store closing is near or TransformCo simply does not want to care for it.